- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
Here’s how to get the news you crave.
Cutting the cord and switching to live TV streaming services is a perfectly reasonable way to stay entertained while lowering your costs. There’s just one problem: watching the news without cable. For left-leaning news fans and members of the Resistance, there’s no substitute for an MSNBC live stream. Local news lacks deep coverage and analysis, especially when it comes to center-left opinions, and YouTube is full of conspiracy theorists. So how can you stream MSNBC Live for free?
If you know where to look, it’s easy to find an MSNBC live stream, whether you want to watch or listen. What method you choose depends on the sacrifices you’re willing to make. Here are the four ways to stream MSNBC live for free and the best ways to watch as part of a live streaming package.
WATCH: Is SlingTV worth it?
MSNBC Live Stream: 3 ways to watch MSNBC for free
Unfortunately, MSNBC is no longer available on Pluto TV. However, you still have a couple of free options.
The goal of LiveNewsOn is admirable. Ignoring things like “streaming rights” or “contracts,” LiveNewsOn strives to be a source of global information. According to its mission statement, the site was created with an “aim in mind for connecting people around the world with latest news channels in their native language.” With beautiful HD streams, LiveNewsOn features the highest video quality of any of the options on this list. Simply put: LiveNewsOn is also the only way to stream MSNBCs live online without paying—all of the other options on this list featuring live MSNBC video after it airs or only with live audio—but whether you feel comfortable using the site is up to you.
When all you need is to stream the basic highlights of the days live news, MSNBC.com is the perfect solution. Updated throughout the day as news breaks, MSNBC.com features a mix of the best reports and interviews from the live broadcast. Viewers who want the experience of streaming live MSNBC content without sacrificing eight hours a day or paying should check out the site.
- How to stream NFL games online: A complete guide to the 2018 season
- The cheapest way to watch AMC online
- The easiest way to watch FX, FXX, and FXM without cable
- How to watch ESPN without cable
3) Tune In
It’s possible to enjoy the MSNBC live stream for free as long as you don’t mind sacrificing video. Tune In offers a free ad-supported streaming audio feed of MSNBC’s daily broadcast, live as it airs. News fans on a slow internet connection will appreciate not needing to buffer a video, but the real advantage is for office workers who want to listen during the workday. It’s far less noticeable to have a low-key audio stream running than a moving video.
MSNBC live streaming: 5 other ways to watch
Five of the major live TV streaming services offer a way to watch MSNBC online. Here’s what you need to know about each one.
1) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$45 per month
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, Microsoft Edge, and iOS and Android devices
- Sling TV local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
Sling TV is the current leader in live TV streaming, thanks in part to its versatile packages, which allow you to pick and choose the channels you need (and save some money in the process. Sling TV offers three basic packages: Sling Orange, Sling Blue, and Sling Orage + Blue, which combines the channels from the first two packages. To make sure you get an MSNBC live stream, you’ll want to select either Sling Blue ($25 per month) or Sling Orange + Blue ($40 per month). From there, you’ll need to add the Sling Blue: News Extra package, which includes MSNBC along with CNBC, BBC News, EuroNews, and France24, allowing you to get a broad overview of world news. Other notable channels in the Sling Blue package include FX, AMC, CNN, and Comedy Central. (You can find a full list of Sling TV channels here.)
Game-changing feature: Price. Sling TV offers the most news for the least amount of money.
- Cost: $44.99 per month
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Hulu local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
You already know that Hulu is the best way to catch up on your favorite TV show. Now it’s one of the best ways to watch live TV as well. Hulu Live TV’s 40-channel lineup includes MSNBC, CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1, among others. (You can view the full list of Hulu Live TV channels here.) For an extra $4 per month, you can upgrade to Hulu with No Commercials, and both HBO and Showtime are available as add-ons.
Game-changing feature: Every subscription comes with free access to Hulu’s on-demand library, meaning you can catch up on all of your favorite shows. (Here are our picks for the best movies on Hulu, Hulu documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu originals.)
- Cost: $44.99 for the first month, $54.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial)
- FuboTV devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
- FuboTV local channels: Fox, NBC, CBS (check local availability here)
While known primarily as a sports streaming service, FuboTV also offers MSNBC in its basic channel package. You’ll also get CNN, CNBC World, BBC America, Fox News, and more sports than you can possibly handle (though ESPN is notably missing from FuboTV’s offerings.). Here’s the complete FuboTV channels list.
Game-changing feature: Three-day replay for games and 30 hours of cloud DVR.
- Cost: $44.99-$79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- PlayStation Vue devices: PlayStation 3 and 4, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Google Chromecast, Kodi, iOS and Android devices
- PlayStation Vue local channels: NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
If you have a PlayStation, there’s no better way to stream MSNBC than PlayStation Vue, but you can also use Roku, Amazon Fire, or even Kodi. While a little pricey, PS Vue boasts four tiers of service, and all of them include MSNBC. The basic Access package also includes AMC, BBC America, ESPN, Fox News, and roughly 40 other options. (Here are all of PlayStation Vue channels.)
Game-changing feature: You can stream on up to five devices at once, and there’s unlimited cloud DVR.
5) YouTube TV
- Cost: $50 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
- YouTube TV local channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
Like Hulu with Live TV, YouTube offers only one block of channels for $40 per month, but it has almost everything you’re looking for. That includes MSNBC, as well as AMC, CNN, BBC America, and CNBC. (You can find the full list of YouTube TV channels here.) One thing to note: YouTube TV doesn’t allow you to skip commercials on YouTube. For that you’ll need YouTube Premium.
Game-changing feature: You can add up to six accounts per household, and each one of those accounts gets unlimited cloud DVR. Even better: You can fast-forward through ads in recorded programs.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adopter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.