- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
If you already love Hulu, you’re going to love Hulu Live TV, the company’s new streaming service. With Hulu Live TV channels, you can watch your favorite shows and sports in real time, and you can channel-surf to your heart’s content.
The best part about it? Hulu with Live TV comes with free access to Hulu’s on-demand catalog (a $5.99 monthly value). That way, if there’s not something on TV, you can catch up on Hulu originals, compelling documentaries, anime, and must-see movies on Hulu.
Hulu Live TV COST
- Hulu has live TV plans starting at $54.99/month.
- The service comes with 50-plus channels.
- The basic package comes with the full Hulu library with ads.
- Premium add ons like HBO, Starz, and Showtime are available.
- You can stream to two devices simultaneously with the basic package, or get unlimited screens for an additional $9.99 a month.
All of the major live TV streaming options now offer local channels in most major cities, but what you’re able to watch varies by location. Thankfully, there’s an easy way to find out what your Hulu Live TV package would look like. Just punch in your ZIP code when prompted here.
Here’s what shows up for Washington, D.C.:
As you can see, while there’s a strong selection of local channels with Hulu Live TV, I won’t be able to watch ABC live. That said, it is available as an on-demand channel, which means I’ll still be able to watch ABC shows as soon as they air. That’s a great compromise, but it does mean that I’ll miss any live sports on the network.
Hulu live TV channels
Cost: $54.99 per month
If you’re a sports fan, you’ll get your fill with the Hulu Live TV channel lineup. You get a suite of ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line), along with FS1 and FS2, NBC’s Golf Channel, and two college sports networks, Big Ten Network, SEC Network.
The only thing you might miss from your cable package is the AMC live stream.
Note: Hulu Live TV costs $54.99 per month, but you can upgrade to Hulu No Commercials for just $6 more. That won’t allow you to skip commercials during live programming, however; it only applies to on-demand content. You can learn more about other add-on features in our complete Hulu Live TV guide.
How do Hulu plans and the Hulu Live TV channel lineup compare to the competition? See for yourself:
However, you might not want to get too used to these Hulu channels. In an October 2018 interview, CEO Randy Freer said Hulu may shift its focus toward more on-demand offerings, following the model of Amazon Prime, though it sounds like sports and news channels will continue to be prioritized. “We are going to become the wholesaler for a lot of these direct-to-consumer brands that are going to need a friendly wholesaler versus Amazon or Apple,” Freer said. “We have to be able to evolve so we can provide the customers the news and sports and entertainment in a way that makes sense, bundled in a way that allows us to create packages that have a positive margin.” Hulu certainly has a lot of room to grow with on-demand offerings. Right now, it only offers three premium add-ons—HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax (see below)—trailing most of its live TV streaming competitors.
Hulu live TV channel lineup:
|HULU LIVE TV
|A&E||Adult Swim||Big Ten Network|
|CBS Sports Network||Cheddar||Chiller|
|Disney Channel||Disney XD||Disney Junior|
|Food Network||Fox Business Network||Fox News Channel|
|Fox Sports 1||Fox Sports 2||Freeform|
|History Channel||HLN||Lifetime Movie Network|
|Nat Geo Wild||National Geographic||NBCSN|
Additional Channels: ABC News, CBSN, ACCN, Animal Planet, Free Form, MSNBC, Motor Trend, Nasa, Olympic Channel, TLC, USA, Cozi TV, the CW
Hulu channels: The add-ons
Hulu with Live TV is notably lacking in add-on channels. You can subscribe to three premium movie channels at fairly standard prices—HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime—but you won’t be able to add NFL RedZone or NFL Network, for example, or more niche options, like horror streaming service Shudder.
Hulu TV channels: Entertainment add-on
For $7.99 per month, you can add nine additional Hulu TV channels: AHC, CNBC World, Destination America, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, DIY Network, FYI, Lifetime Movies, and Sci.
Hulu Live channels: Español add-on
Hulu has an add-on package targeting Spanish-speaking and bilingual families. For just $4.99 per month, You can add CNN en Español, Discovery en Español, Discovery Familia, ESPN Desportes, NBC Universo, History en Español. That’s a great deal, especially considering how much international sports you can watch, and it sets the service up nicely to compete with like-minded offerings from Sling TV, FuboTV, and DirecTV Now.
Hulu with Live TV can be streamed using any of the following devices, and there’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect to your account: Roku, Apple TV,Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices.
However, it’s worth noting, with a basic Hulu with Live TV subscription, you can only stream on two devices at a time. For $9.99 per month, you can unlock unlimited screens in your home and three on mobile. If you’re planning on sharing the account, it’s practically essential. If you add unlimited screens, you can tack on 200 hours of enhanced cloud DVR (and the ability to fast-forward through all recorded content) for just $5 more per month; otherwise, the cloud DVR feature costs $9.99 per month.
Not sure what to watch on Hulu? Here are the best movies on Hulu, what’s new, the best shows on Hulu, the sexiest movies you can stream on the service, Hulu documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu originals. Looking for something more specific? Here are the best thrillers and action movies to get your heart racing, classic movies when you want a blast from the past, sad movies when you need a good cry, and funny movies on Hulu when you need a good laugh.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Austin Powell is the former managing editor of the Daily Dot. His work focuses on the intersection of entertainment and technology. He previously served as a music columnist for the Austin Chronicle and is the co-author of The Austin Chronicle Music Anthology.