- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
In 2016, the pilot premiere of Shadowhunters garnered higher ratings than Freeform had seen in two years. Despite mixed reviews from critics, the following behind Shadowhunters is appropriately a cult one. It even beat out This is Us at the 2018 People’s Choice Awards. This didn’t prevent Freeform from canceling the series, but it did push the network to cave and order two final episodes that wrap up the entire series in a bow.
The supernatural drama is based on Cassandra Clare’s young adult book series The Mortal Instruments, which is so thrilling, the action practically jumps off the page. Shadowhunters follows a secret society of individuals with angel blood who hunt down demons and other ghouls that threaten humanity. One such hero, Clary Fairchild, learns that she’s one of those destined fighters on her 18th birthday when her mother is mysteriously kidnapped. Now, Clary lives among the “fair folk” of werewolves, vampires, and warlocks, and starts a journey of self-discovery to uncover her past, present, and future. It’s a little Harry Potter, a little Supernatural, and takes the typical teen drama to untold heights.
Here’s everything you need to watch Shadowhunters online for free.
- Katherine McNamara as Clary Fairchild
- Dominic Sherwood as Jace Herondale
- Alberto Rosende as Simon Lewis
- Matthew Daddario as Alec Lightwood
- Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood
- Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Garroway
- Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane
When does Shadowhunters air?
Shadowhunters season 3 premiered March 20, 2018, on Freeform. Season 3 was split up into two parts. The second half premieres Feb. 25 at 8pm EST. There are 12 episodes left, including a two-hour series finale.
How to watch Shadowhunters online for free
Freeform is available on a handful of the major live TV streaming services. When you’re trying to decide which one is best for you, you’ll want to weigh the cost, the other channels you’ll receive, and the compatible devices for streaming. Thankfully, no matter which service you decide to try, you’ll be able to start with a one-week trial, so you can watch Shadowhunters for free. For a more complete rundown, check out our guide to Sling TV competitors.
1) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
Sling TV offers two cable packages based on your particular needs (Sling Orange and Sling Blue), both of which cost $25 per month, but only Sling Orange comes with Freeform. That package also offers three ESPN channels, AMC, and more than a dozen other channels. But it’s worthwhile to upgrade to Sling Orange + Blue package which costs $40 per month and comes with great sports channels like FS1 and FS2, NBCSN, and NFL Network, and everything else you see above. (Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
- Cost: $44.95 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
Hulu with Live TV not only gives you access to on-demand content, but you’ll also be able to stream live TV, including local networks. If you miss Shadowhunters when it airs, it will be available on-demand along with countless movies, classic programs, and original series available exclusively on Hulu. You’ll also get access to almost 60 channels, including Bravo, ESPN, USA, and plenty more. (Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.)
- The best new movies on Hulu: 2018 new releases to watch
- The best thrillers on Hulu
- Funny movies on Hulu when you need a good laugh
- 10 sad movies on Hulu guaranteed to make you cry
- Cost: $44.99-$79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- PlayStation Vue devices: PlayStation 3 and 4, Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Kodi, iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
While you don’t need a PlayStation console to use Sony’s PlayStation Vue streaming service, it certainly wouldn’t hurt. It looks fantastic on a PS4 and lets you jump from gaming to streaming on one device. One subscription lets you stream on up to five devices, all with unlimited cloud DVR storage. (Here are all of PlayStation Vue channels.)
4) YouTube TV
- Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
YouTube TV offers more than 60 popular cable networks, including local channels. Among them are Freeform, The CW, and Syfy, so you can get your fill of supernatural and science fiction. One YouTube TV subscription lets you add up to six accounts, each with unlimited cloud DVR. (You can find the full list of YouTube TV channels here.)
5) DirecTV Now
- Cost: $40-$75 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- DirecTV Now devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check local availability)
DirecTV Now is DirecTV’s answer to online streaming. If you simply must have the most channels, DirecTV Now offers upwards of 125 of them in its most expensive package. Of course, its $40 monthly Live a Little plan will get you access to Freeform, so you can get your Shadowhunters fix. (You can find the full list of DirecTV Now channels here.)
How to catch up on Shadowhunters episodes
1) Amazon Video
- Cost: $2.99/episode, $23.99/season
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
You can watch past episodes of Shadowhunters on your TV, tablet, phone, or computer with Amazon Video. Individual episodes cost $2.99 each, but you can nab an entire season starting at $23.99.
You can watch select episodes of Shadowhunters on the Freeform website.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Jaime Carillo is a writer for Pure Nintendo and a plucky YouTube cook. He specializes in writing about console gaming and kitchen gadgets. It comes naturally, considering he's either wielding a massive cleaver or Switch Pro controller at any given point. When he's not cruising through a drive-thru at 2am, he's baking shokupan or whipping up a big pot of Japanese curry. He enjoys retro gaming, geopolitics, and Vic Berger videos.