- Insurance company to ‘reevaluate’ relationship with Tucker Carlson after racist comment 1 Month Ago
- Netflix’s instant rewind button is not popular with users Today 2:20 PM
- Offset interrupted Cardi B’s set at Rolling Loud Festival, and fans are pissed Today 1:18 PM
- ‘Ms. Marvel’ gets a new, award-winning writer in Saladin Ahmed Today 11:32 AM
- ‘SNL’ gives us the daddy pageant we’ve been dying for Today 10:28 AM
- How pranksters fooled the internet in 2018 Today 8:00 AM
- 2018 belonged to trans people Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch local channels on Roku Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Levante vs. Barcelona online for free Today 6:19 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Manchester United online for free Today 6:00 AM
- The best couch co-op video games for couples Today 6:00 AM
- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post Saturday 7:26 PM
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough (updated) Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
‘Alaska: The Final Frontier,’ ‘The Deadliest Catch,’ and endless reruns of ‘MythBusters’ are here.
MythBusters may be long gone, but there are plenty of other reasons why you may be looking for a Discovery live stream. Since 1985, Discovery has been the standard-bearer for nature and science-based programming on cable. It’s responsible for Deadliest Catch, which features the Atlantic’s toughest fishermen struggling to bring home their latest haul. There’s also famous outdoorsman Bear Grylls’ Man Vs. Wild and more recent shows like Alaska: The Last Frontier, which charts the survival of a family in the barren cold with little to no amenities.
Here’s everything you need to know to watch a Discovery live stream for free.
Discovery live stream: 4 ways to watch online for free
- Cost: $16 a month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, iOS, Android
Philo TV is the cheapest way to watch a Discovery live stream on the internet—and it’s not even close. For $16 per month, you’ll get Animal Planet, AMC, both BBC America and BBC World News, Comedy Central, and Travel Channel, in addition to Discovery. If you’re a fan of the Discovery channel, you’ll want to spend an extra $4 to add 12 additional channels, which includes Discovery Life and Discovery Family. (Here’s a complete guide to Philo channels.)
Game-changing feature: Besides the unbeatable price? Well, there’s 30 days of unlimited DVR space and a free trial that only requires a phone number instead of a credit card.
2) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
In November 2018, Sling managed to introduce not one, not two, but nine overall Discovery Network channels into its offerings. Sling TV itself is split up between two packages: Sling Orange and Sling Blue. You can find a Discovery Channel live stream, plus Investigation Discovery and TLC on Sling Blue. On Sling Orange, you’ll find Investigation Discovery and MotorTrend (formerly known as Velocity). In the Heartland Extra add-on package, you’ll find the Discovery-owned American Heroes Channel and Destination America, and you’ll find the Science Channel on the News Extra add-on package. If you or someone in your family would prefer to listen to a Spanish-speaking version of Discovery, Sling TV offers Discovery en Español and Discovery Familia through either the Best of Spanish TV package (sold standalone for $10 per month or $5 per month as an add-on to either Sling Blue or Sling Orange. Of course, Sling TV offers Sling Orange + Blue for $40 per month. (Here’s a complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
- Cost: $44.99-$79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: PlayStation 3 and 4, Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Kodi, iOS and Android devices
One of your few options for finding a Discovery live stream, but certainly not a bad one. For the basic $44.99-per-month Access package, you’ll get Discovery, plus Animal Planet, AMC, BBC America, Destination America, National Geographic, Travel Channel, plenty of sports, and more. If you’re someone who likes to have a lot of great sports options, you’ll want to go one level up to the Core package, which allows you to add NFL RedZone for just $10 per month. (Here’s a complete guide to PlayStation Vue channels.).
Game-changing feature: You can stream on up to five devices at once, and there’s unlimited cloud DVR.
4) DirecTV Now
- Cost: $40-$75 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick.
DirecTV Now is one of the best bargains out there. For less than PlayStation Vue’s entry level package, you’ll get a whopping 65 channels. Not only will you get a Discovery live stream, you’ll get Discovery Family and Discovery Life. That’s twice as much as what you’ll pay for Philo, but you’ll get a lot more channels. For nature lovers, there’s also Animal Planet, two versions of National Geographic, Travel Channel, and tons more. There’s also the added bonus of being able to add premium channels like HBO for as little as $5. (Here’s a complete guide to DirecTV Now channels.)
Game-changing feature: AT&T Unlimited customers can save $25 a month off every DirecTV Now package.
5) Pluto TV
- Cost: Free
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Google Chromecast, PlayStation 4
In late November 2018, Pluto TV, the free live TV streaming service, added a Discovery channel. While it streams live, the programming is actually pulled from Discovery, Animal Planet, ID, Discovery Live, Science Channel, and TLC. It’s basically a greatest hits, with series like Discovery Channel’s Misfit Garage, Animal Planet’s River Monsters and ID’s Dates from Hell all available at your fingertips.
Other ways to watch Discovery Channel online
If you prefer watching your live television on a laptop or desktop, you have two options. If you’re a PlayStation Vue or Philo subscriber, you can go to Discovery.com, click the “Live Now – Fast N’ Loud” button in the top left, which will bring up the Discovery to be brought to the live stream page. From there, just punch in your login info for one of the two aforementioned services. Unfortunately, it looks like DirecTV Now isn’t applicable.
2) Discovery Go
Devices: Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Apple TV, Xbox One, Roku, Samsung smart TVs, Android and iOS devices
If you’re always on the move, you’ll want the Discovery Go app, which works with most major streaming devices. Not only will you be able to watch live programming, you can watch full episodes on-demand of shows like Deadliest Catch.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, AMC, FX, Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Golf Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Lifetime, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, the Weather Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.