- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body 7 Months Ago
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Today 9:53 AM
- Thread about ‘depression meals’ is inspiring lots of relatable answers Today 9:36 AM
- How long is ‘Avengers: Infinity War’? Today 9:30 AM
- Rand Paul ripped for halting 9/11 Victim Fund re-authorization bill Today 9:18 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
- The glorious highs and unexpected quirks of 4K streaming Today 6:00 AM
- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
From the Hip Hop Awards to ‘Hustle in Brooklyn,’ here’s everything you need to know to watch BET.
BET is the No. 1 spot for television programming focused on hip-hop, reality television, and African-American entertainment news. Are you tired of subscribing to expensive cable services just to get BET? Are you ready to cut the cord and get your live television when and where you want it? Here’s everything you need to know about how to watch a BET live stream for free.
What is BET?
It’s all in the name: Black Entertainment Television. Originally just a programming block on USA, BET was established as a proper channel in 1983. Its early run consisted heavily of music videos and reruns of popular Black sitcoms, mimicking the MTV format for an African-American audience. In more recent years, BET has shifted toward more reality, pop culture, and drama programming. Popular shows include Scandal, Black-ish, 106 & Park, Being Mary Jane, and more. The channel also hosts the annual BET Hip Hop Awards show.
BET live stream: 5 ways to watch BET online for free
BET is missing from Hulu, FuboTV, YouTube TV, and PlayStation Vue, but you still have plenty of live TV streaming services to choose from. Each option comes with at least a free seven-day trial.
1) Sling TV
Cost: $25 to $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
Devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
Sling TV is split up between two packages (Sling Orange and Sling Blue), and BET is only available in Blue. To get Sling Blue, you’ll pay $25 a month for 45 channels, or you can get the additional Orange 28 channels for $40. Blue has almost every channel Orange does anyway, but it’s a stronger sports package. In terms of extra entertainment options, with Sling Blue you get AMC, BBC America, Comedy Central, and more. (Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
- Cost: $16 per month (after 7-day free trial)
- Philo devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, iOS and Android devices
If you need to save a buck, you can’t beat Philo. For what it lacks in news or sports (except for AXS, which gets you MMA and boxing), the streaming service makes up for in entertainment programming. You’ll get your BET live stream, plus BBC America, AMC, Comedy Central, MTV, MTV 2, and more. (Here’s the complete guide to Philo TV channels)
3) DirecTV Now
- Cost: $40-$75 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- DirecTV Now devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check local availability)
For the money, DirecTV Now is almost unbeatable. The $40 entry-level “Live a Little” package gets you a BET live stream, plus 64 other channels including AMC, Comedy Central, MTV, and plenty of sports options. Beyond that, if you want to add on a premium channel like HBO or Starz, DirecTV Now offers them for as little as $5. (Here’s the complete guide to DirecTV Now channels.)
Other ways to watch BET online
BET’s website lets you connect with your streaming service provider to watch a BET live stream and on-demand content. Simply go to BET.com, click “Live TV” in the upper right corner, and you’ll be prompted to choose your provider and log in with those credentials. DirecTV Now and Philo work, but unfortunately, Sling TV subscribers won’t have web streaming access.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.