Gervonta “Tank” Davis claims he’s turning around his attitude as a boxer and that he’s willing to maximize the talent he clearly has but hasn’t always shown. On Saturday, he gets his chance to showcase a better version of himself against Hugo Ruiz, and you can watch the Davis vs. Ruiz live stream for free on Showtime to see if he lives up to those words.
It’s somewhat strange to hear those kinds of thoughts from Davis, a 24-year-old undefeated fighter who’s never been in any real danger of losing but who’s still seen by some as underperforming. Entering his matchup vs. Ruiz, that’s exactly where Davis is in his career. He forfeited a world title for being overweight, and he’s put out uninspiring performances against fighters who are far less talented.
“He knows firsthand that in 2018 a lot of things happened and a lot of things people don’t know about and that those were personal things,” said Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions. “Again he’s a young man. He made a few mistakes and he stepped up. He owned those mistakes and he’s moved on. He wants to have a phenomenal year and everything’s in place for him to do that.”
Here’s everything you need to know to watch the Davis vs. Ruiz live stream.
Tank Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz
- When: Saturday, Feb. 9, at 10pm ET
- Where: Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California
- Streaming: Showtime (free with various streaming service trials)
Tank Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz: Why it matters
Originally, Ruiz wasn’t supposed to be getting this opportunity. Instead, Davis was supposed to be fighting Abner Mares, a former two-division world titlist who was moving up in weight to compete for Davis’ 130-pound junior lightweight belt. But Mares had to pull out with an injury, and he’s been replaced by Ruiz (39-4, 33 knockouts)—a 126-pound featherweight who’s also moving up in weight.
Ruiz actually fought just three weeks ago—an extremely short turnaround time for a modern-day boxer—and won a unanimous decision vs. Alberto Guevera in a dominant performance. “I’ve been feeling very strong and very active,” Ruiz said. “And that last fight was more like a training then a real tough fight.”
But Ruiz—a former 118- and 122-pound titleist—has never faced an opponent as talented as Davis (20-0, 19 KOs). Though Ruiz, at 5-foot-9, will tower over the 5-foot-5 Davis and though Davis hasn’t fought in 10 months, there’s a reason why Ruiz is a 14/1 underdog. It’s because Davis has so much speed and power, as shown in a title win two years ago.
In reality, Davis has the talent to be one of the best fighters in the world. He just hasn’t fully realized it yet.
“You all still haven’t seen the best of Tank,” his trainer Calvin Ford said. “Watching him sparring with certain people and doing certain things, it gets real exciting there. So I’m just waiting to see what Tank does. Tank is like Michael Jordan to me in the ring. He puts on a show and makes you watch what he going to do next. I’m looking for a great performance from him.”
Tank Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz live stream: How to watch Showtime boxing for free
Every major live TV streaming service—including PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and DirecTV Now—offers Showtime as a premium channel, and no matter where you choose to add it, you’ll start with at least a one-week trial. That means you’ll have no trouble watching this Showtime boxing event for free. We’ve highlighted some of the best options below.
That said, two undercard matches—Erickson Lubin vs. Ishe Smith and Juan Heraldez vs. Eddie Ramirez—will air exclusively on the Showtime Sports YouTube channel and its Showtime Boxing Facebook page, both of which you can watch for free—no subscriptions or sign-in necessary. Those fights will begin at 8pm ET.
1) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (after a 7-day free trial), Showtime is $10 per month after a 7-day free trial
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku,Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
The great thing about Sling TV is that delivers a la carte channel packages, basically meaning you have a choice in how much you want to pay (between $25 and $40) depending on what channels you want. To get Showtime, though, you’ll need to pay a $10 add-on fee after a seven-day free trial. Here’s a complete guide to Sling TV channels and our Sling TV review.
- Cost: $10.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Showtime | $119.99 per year for Prime
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
Amazon Prime Video is a one-stop show for all of your streaming needs, allowing you to add channels like Showtime from one centralized media center. It’s one of the easiest ways to get started watching Showtime online.
3) Showtime app
- Cost: $10.99 per month (after a 30-day free trial)
- Devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
If you download the Showtime app through Showtime, you get a free 30-day trial on the app. After that, it’s $10.99 per month, but you can cancel any time. If you want to stream the fight directly through its main source, this is the way to do it.
- The best movies on Showtime and Showtime Anytime
- The best documentaries on Showtime
- The best Showtime original series of all time
4) Hulu and Hulu with Live TV
- Cost: $7.99-$11.99 for Hulu and $44.95 per month for Hulu with Live TV (after a 7-day free trial). Showtime comes with a 7-day free trial, then costs $10.99 per month afterward
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
Hulu provides plenty of ways for you to be entertained, either through TV and movies on-demand or by allowing you to stream live TV. It also provides the best deal for people who miss first-run TV. Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.
- Cost: $10.99 per month for Showtime | $39.99 for your first month and $44.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial) for FuboTV
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
If you’re an international sports fan, FuboTV has become one of your best options, and it continues to get even better throughout time, especially if you love global soccer. It’s got some of the best local TV coverage of any online streaming service, and now that you can watch Showtime, it’s become a good place to watch movies as well. Here’s the complete FuboTV channels list.
Gervonta Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz live stream schedule
- Gervonta Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz
- Mario Barrios vs. Richard Zamora
- Javier Fortuna vs. Sharif Bogere
- Erickson Lubin vs. Ishe Smith**
- Eddie Ramirez vs. Juan Heraldez**
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.