- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
The red-hot No. 17 Memphis Tigers (12-1) come to Arlington, Texas, as American Athletic Conference champions to take on tough Big 10 delegate Penn State Nittany Lions (10-2) for a Saturday afternoon matchup at AT&T Stadium in the 84th Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic.
The Nittany Lions have reached double-digit wins for the third time in four seasons, with losses to Minnesota and College Football Playoff participant Ohio State. This is the third New Year’s Six bowl since 2016 for head coach James Franklin’s program. Penn State’s steady offense is led by quarterback Sean Clifford, who’s put up 2,521 passing yards and 22 touchdowns. Running back Journey Brown leads the team with 688 rushing yards and 10 scores. K.J. Hamler is the team’s leading receiver with 54 catches for 858 yards and eight touchdowns.
It’s the stout Penn State defense that carries the bulk of the weight, though, as the 24th-ranked defense in the nation and 5th in rush defense (97 yards per game).
Conversely, Memphis boasts the 10th-best total offense in the country, rushing for 196 yards per game. Talk about the rubber meeting the road.
Tigers quarterback Brady White leads the potent offense with 3,560 passing yards and 33 touchdowns. Redshirt freshman running back Kenneth Gainwell has been one of the nation’s best all-around talents, averaging 150.5 yards per game from scrimmage (sixth in the FBS). He’s gained 1,425 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns, with 44 receptions for another 532 yards and three scores.
Here’s how to watch Memphis vs. Penn State in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic.
|HOW TO STREAM GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC|
|SLING TV||TRY NOW|
|HULU WITH LIVE TV||TRY NOW|
— Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (@CottonBowlGame) December 8, 2019
Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic
- Location: AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas
- Date: Dec. 28, 12pm ET
- Streaming: ESPN
How to stream Memphis vs. Penn State live: Watch the Cotton Bowl
The following services offer a one-week trial.
1) Sling TV
- Sling TV pricing: $30-$45 per month ($10 off first month)
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, Microsoft Edge, and iOS and Android devices
- Sling TV local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
Sling offers a ton of live sports. Sling TV provides two base channel package options, each priced at $30 per month. Sling Orange includes three ESPN channels, while Sling Blue includes sports channels like NFL Network, NBCSN, and local channels. If you’re Team “Why Not Both,” Sling Orange + Blue combines the two for just $45 per month. Sports Extra: Sling Blue ($10 per month) also includes NFL RedZone.
Other features include a Free Cloud DVR tier for all subscribers (allowing 10 hours of recording a month), the ability to record all live linear channels, and no VOD preemption on any channels. New subscribers get $10 off the first month.
How to use AirTV with Sling
AirTV solves one of Sling’s biggest problems: The inability to receive all of your local channels. By purchasing a basic AirTV for $79.99 or the AirTV Player for $119.99, you can merge those local channels into your Sling TV, (or on your mobile device if you have the basic AirTV). As the Daily Dot wrote in its AirTV review, “It’s practically magic.”
The basic AirTV is a dual-tuner streaming device, while the AirTV Player is basically an upgraded Chromecast that has Netflix preinstalled. You’ll still need to own an HD antenna because even though AirTV gets you access to your local channels, it doesn’t actually physically show them to you.
But AirTV—which has no monthly fee—serves to strengthen one of Sling’s biggest weaknesses compared to other live streaming services like Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, and PlayStation Vue. All those services have plenty of local channels. While select NFL and college football games (on Fox, FS1, and FS2) are no longer on Sling, you can still catch Fox games with AirTV.
- Cost: $54.99 per month
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Hulu local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
Hulu with Live TV includes sports programming among its offerings, including ESPN and FS1, and as a subscriber to the service, you’ll get free access to Hulu’s sizable on-demand library. (Check out the full list of Hulu Live TV channels.)
3) YouTube TV
- Cost: $50 per month
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
- YouTube TV local channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
YouTube TV is a great option for college football: Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, FS1, FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, and ESPNU are all here and offer a nearly 360 programming platter of action. (Take a look at the full list of YouTube TV channels here.)
Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic: Why it matters
Coaching matters—and Memphis will be without its head coach of the previous four seasons. Mike Norvell left the program to take over at Florida State. Memphis named deputy head coach and offensive line coach Ryan Silverfield as its new head coach.
Penn State will also be without a main cog in its coaching staff, as offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne left the team to become the head coach at Old Dominion.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, AMC, FX, Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, the Weather Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Kahron Spearman is a music and film critic whose work can also regularly be regularly found in the Austin Chronicle.