- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ 7 Months Ago
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? 7 Months Ago
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart Today 6:30 AM
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
John Oliver, the floppy-haired British comedian and former bit player on The Daily Show, has achieved internet stardom. His program, HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, has crushed competitors, and it’s genuinely one of the most insightful and thoughtful programs covering politics both at home and abroad. Here’s how to watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver online for free.
How to watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver for free
From criticism of President Donald Trump’s response to the Charlottesville violence to launching a PR campaign against Big Tobacco from his own show desk, it’s clear that Last Week Tonight is here to stay for many more weeks. Thankfully, it’s easy to check out the latest episodes, and the major streaming services that offer HBO come with at least a free seven-day trial.
1) Sling TV
Cost: $25 to $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial) | $14.99 for HBO
Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
Sling TV is a weird beast. It’s split up between two packages (Orange and Blue), so you can pick which one suits you best, or combine them for $40 a month. HBO is available as a single add-on for $15 a month. If you only have one-half of the overall package, you’ll get your Last Week Tonight with John Oliver live stream (plus general channels) for as little as $35 a month. Unfortunately, Sling isn’t accepted as a provider for HBO GO, so no watching away from your Sling setup. (Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
Cost: $14.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for HBO | $119 per year for Prime
Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you’re looking to get HBO and want to avoid figuring out a full streaming service, Amazon Prime Video is a solid bet. With Prime membership and a monthly HBO subscription, you get access to HBO’s entire catalog, not just an individual show. The only downside is that there’s no way to purchase specific episodes. But with the seven-day free trial, you could easily make your way through a full season.
3) HBO Now
Cost: $14.99 per month (after 7-day free trial)
Devices: Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Cube, Android TV, Apple TV, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Xbox One and Xbox 360.
If you want HBO with no frills, go straight to the source. HBO Now costs the same as Amazon Prime Video, and you’ll have it on the same devices. Just like Amazon Prime Video, you’ll get access to HBO’s entire catalog, including all of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
- Cost: $7.99-$11.99 for Hulu or $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Hulu with Live TV | $14.99 per month for HBO
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
Adding HBO onto your Hulu with Live TV package costs $14.99 on top of Hulu with Live TV’s $40 baseline. In addition to live channel streaming, you’ll get access to Hulu’s full on-demand catalog of Hulu originals, documentaries, anime, and movies. You can try out the service with a seven-day free trial, and you can use your Hulu account log-in to HBO Now anywhere the app is available. (Here’s the complete guide to Hulu Live TV channels.)
You’ll get your HBO and your Last Week Tonight with John Oliver live stream on PlayStation Vue either by opting for the $80 Ultra package (which includes HBO) or by getting the $45 base package and adding HBO for $14.99. The base Playstation Vue access package includes a solid lineup of live streams, including AMC, Disney Channel, ESPN, TBS, and more. (Here’s the complete guide to PlayStation Vue channels.)
6) DirecTV Now
For the money, DirecTV Now is one of the best streaming packages out there. Aside from the impressive base package (72 channels for just $40), it’s the cheapest way to add on HBO to a streaming package. For just $5 per month, you can watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and any other HBO live stream content, making it the best choice if you want a full streaming service instead of a piecemeal way to watch HBO content. (Here’s the complete guide to DirecTV Now channels.)
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.