- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
PlayStation Vue is the underdog in live TV streaming, in part because too many people still think you need a PlayStation to use it. (You don’t.) PlayStation Vue has some great features and access to local channels.
While most of the major streaming TV services —including YouTube TV, FuboTV, DirecTV Now, and Hulu with Live TV—offer local channels, you might be surprised by how much variation there is depending on the service and your location.
Here’s everything you need to know about streaming local channels on PlayStation Vue.
PlayStation Vue local channels
PlayStation Vue is Sony’s streaming TV replacement that lets you watch your favorite cable and local channels from one app. Packages start at $44.99 per month for a standard basic cable package and top out at $79.99 for more channels and several premium movie options. Of course, no matter what package you choose you’ll a great selection of local channels. PlayStation Vue offers the big four — ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC — in every available market. While you might miss out on some of your small local favorites, you’ll always catch the primetime lineup. You can see what local channels are available in your area by entering your zip code here.
The one downside to local channels on PlayStation Vue comes when using the service’s DVR feature. Due to licensing rights some ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC affiliated broadcast channels can’t be recorded. Sadly there isn’t a master list of which affiliates have blocked DVR on PlayStation Vue, so you’ll need to wait until your free trial to find out. However, the good news is PlayStation Vue still offers a wide range of local channels, including many region sports options. Below you can see what local channels are offers on PlayStation Vue in major metropolitan areas across the country.
PlayStation Vue local channels
Here’s a complete breakdown of local channels for PlayStation Vue for major U.S. markets:
- Atlanta: ABC, CBS, Fox, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Southeast, NBC, Telemundo
- Austin: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Fox Sports Southwest, Fox Sports Southwest Plus, Telemundo
- Boston: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC
- Charlotte: ABC, CBS, Fox, My TV, NBC, Telemundo
- Chicago: ABC, CBS, Fox, My TV, NBC, Telemundo
- Dallas/Ft. Worth: ABC, CBS, Fox, My TV, NBC, Telemundo
- Detroit: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Telemundo
- Gainesville: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Telemundo
- Hartford/New Haven: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Telemundo
- Houston: ABC, Fox, KHOU11, My TV, NBC, Telemundo
- Los Angeles: ABC, CBS, Fox, My TV, NBC, Telemundo
- Miami/Ft. Lauderdale: ABC, CBS, NBC, Telemundo
- Minneapolis/St. Paul: ABC, CBS, Fox, Fox 9+, Fox Sports North, Fox Sports North Plus, NBC
- New York: ABC, CBS, Fox, My TV, NBC, Telemundo
- Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Telemundo
- Philadelphia: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Telemundo
- Phoenix: ABC, CBS, Fox, Fox Xtra, Fox Sports Arizona, NBC, Telemundo
- San Diego: ABC, CBS, Fox, Fox Sports San Diego, Fox Sports San Diego Plus, Fox Sports West, NBC, Telemundo
- San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, KTVU Plus, Telemundo
- Tampa/St. Petersburg: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, Telemundo
- Washington, D.C.: ABC, CBS, Fox, Fox 5 Plus, NBC, WUSA-9, Telemundo
PlayStation Vue local channels: What’s not included
PlayStation Vue includes almost all the standard local channels you could ever want. To nitpick, there’s one minor exception: PBS isn’t available. However, PBS isn’t available on any major streaming TV service. That doesn’t mean you can’t watch, however. Check out the PBS website to stream the latest episodes of its programming. PBS also has an app that allows you to stream thousands of hours of shows for one low monthly fee.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adopter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.