Luther is one of the reasons Idris Elba is a household name. The Shakespearean heartthrob stars as detective chief inspector John Luther, who works for the city’s “Serious and Serial” unit. A modern-day Sherlock, Luther has a natural talent for solving cases and catching the most nefarious bad guys the British Isles spit out.
But even dedicated gumshoes know that the longer you stare into the abyss, the longer it stares back. After years on the job, his personal demons are countless, and they put him at odds with co-workers and loved ones. He’s also not one for the following protocols or even showing up with a warrant. If he has you in his crosshairs, he’s not going to stop until you’ve given up your secrets, or better yet, behind bars. Still, this anti-hero is still staunchly anti-firearm and even has a code that prevents him from outright murdering the monsters he comes across. You know, like a British Bruce Wayne.
Season 5 premiered earlier this year on the BBC, and is finally coming stateside, featuring the return of his nemesis, the brilliant Alice Morgan.
Here’s everything you need to watch Luther online for free.
- Idris Elba as DCI John Luther
- Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan
- Paul McGann as Mark North
- Michael Smiley as DS Benny Silver
- Patrick Malahide as George Cornelius
- Wunmi Mosaku as DS Catherine Halliday
- Enzo Cilenti as Jeremy Lake
- Hermione Norris as Vivien Lake
When does Luther season 5 air?
The first of Luther season 5 premieres on Sunday, June 2, at 8pm ET. New episodes will air Sundays at the same time.
What channel is Luther on?
Luther airs on BBC America. There are four episodes booked for season 5.
How to watch Luther online for free
BBC America is available on a handful of the major live TV streaming services. When you’re trying to decide which one is best for you, you’ll want to weigh the cost, the other channels you’ll receive, and the compatible devices for streaming. Thankfully, no matter which service you decide to try, you’ll be able to start with a one-week trial, so you can watch Luther for free.
- Cost: $54.95 per month
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
Hulu with Live TV is one of the most popular ways to stream live TV, perhaps because you gain access to a massive library of on-demand content including classic and current TV shows, movies, not to mention Hulu’s original programming. As far as live-streaming goes, you’ll have almost 60 channels to flip through, including HGTV, a full suite of ESPN channels, Cartoon Network, FX, and even deep cuts like Nat Geo Wild and Syfy. Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.
- The best new movies on Hulu: 2018 new releases to watch
- The best thrillers on Hulu
- Funny movies on Hulu when you need a good laugh
- 10 sad movies on Hulu guaranteed to make you cry
1) Sling TV
- Cost: $30-$45 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
For a more à la carte service, look to Sling TV. It offers two cable packages, Sling Orange and Sling Blue, both of which cost $30 per month. BBC America is available on either package, so the choice is yours. If you grab them both (Sling Orange + Blue) you can save $10 per month. Sling Blue offers more bang for your buck with over 40 channels, including sports necessities like FS1, NBCSN, and NFL Network. You’ll also gain access to the usual cable mainstays like Food Network, Discovery, Cartoon Network, SYFY, and FXX. Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels.
- Cost: $20 per month (after a free 7-day trial)
- Devices: Philo works with Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and Fire TV, iOS, Android, and your web browser
Philo is the least expensive streaming service, but it has some limitations. You won’t find the sports channels that dominate other packages or local channels. However, it’s the cheapest way to gain access to BBC America at only $20 a month. You will also find the best deal on popular channels like Animal Planet, IFC, Lifetime, and even deep cuts like IFC and ID. You also get free cloud DVR, but shows recorded are deleted after 30 days, so binge responsibly.
- Cost: $44.99 for your first month and $54.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial)
- FuboTV devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, Fox, NBC, CBS, the CW (in some markets) (check local availability here)
FuboTV was built from the ground up with sports fans in mind. There are different channel packages available whether you’re looking for basketball, soccer, golf, and even outdoor sports like rock climbing. But no worries, all the great cable channels you’re after are present too, including Viceland, Bravo, TBS, and IFC. Here’s the complete FuboTV channels list.
4) YouTube TV
- Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS, and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
YouTube TV is a great solution for families because one subscription can add up to six accounts. Each account comes with unlimited cloud DVR. There are sports channels like NBCSN, NBA TV, and four ESPN channels. Disney, Disney XD, Disney Junior, and Cartoon Network will keep any kid (or kid at heart) busy for hours. It also comes with a few Spanish-language channels like Telemundo and NBC Universo. AMC, BBC America, and IFC are there too, so you won’t miss out on all that prestige TV. (You can find the full list of YouTube TV channels here.)
How to watch Luther episodes
- Cost: $119 per year (after 3o-day free trial)
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you have Amazon Prime Video, you can watch season 1-4 of Luther totally free.
BBC America lets you watch their programming online on its website or app (iOS and Android). To use it, however, you will need login information from a cable provider or live streaming service. Philo, PlayStation Vue, FuboTV and YouTube TV logins will work, but unfortunately, Sling TV won’t.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.