- Man refuses to eat a meat-free meal prepared by his vegan wife 10 Months Ago
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 12: I quit 10 Months Ago
- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
There are plenty of movie channels out there, but IFC is one of the leaders. Whether it’s an original comedy series or a hard-hitting drama, the IFC maintains a fiercely independent spirit through all its programming. Here’s everything you need to know to watch IFC online.
What is IFC?
The Independent Film Channel, owned by AMC Networks, was formed in 1994. IFC specializes in airing independent films, comedic series (both light and dark), and some broad interest films. Current series include Portlandia, Stan Against Evil, Baroness von Sketch Show, Brockmire, and Documentary Now! You’ll also find movies like Fury, Mission: Impossible, My Cousin Vinny, Pineapple Express, Django Unchained, and plenty more across a variety of genres on-demand.
IFC live stream: 6 ways to watch IFC for free
With the notable exception of Hulu with live TV, IFC appears on most major live TV streaming services, and each option comes with at least a free seven-day trial. Here’s everything you need to know to get started.
1) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
Sling TV can be a bit much at first, since its main packages are split up between Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Thankfully, IFC is on both, so you can opt to pay just $25 for one of those packages. Which one you pick is up to your feelings about ESPN and some entertainment options. Or you can combine both packages for $40 a month. You’ll get your IFC live stream, AMC, BBC America, Comedy Central and plenty more. Sling TV also offers lots of add-ons with premium channels like Showtime and Starz (no HBO), extra sports channels, reality TV, and more. (Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels and our Sling TV review.)
- Cost: $16 per month
- Philo devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, iOS and Android devices
If you need to save some money, Philo is an incredible deal at only $16 a month, with plenty of entertainment to show for it. You’ll get your IFC live stream, BBC America, Comedy Central, AMC, Sundance TV, and plenty more. The only major downside is that you’ll get next to nothing in news or sports channels, so plan accordingly. (Here’s the complete guide to Philo channels.)
- Cost: $39.99 for your first month and $44.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial)
- FuboTV devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
FuboTV is a great choice if, in addition to needing an IFC live stream, you also love sports. Aside from the familiar entertainment options, you’ll get the Big Ten Network, CBS Sports, Fox Sports 1 and 2, NBA TV, MLB Network, and more (but no ESPN). Perhaps most importantly, you get the NFL Network. FuboTV is also great for Spanish-speaking audiences as it offers a bilingual package. Other add-ons can get you NFL RedZone and more college sports options, or alternative sports like cycling and offroad racing. (Here’s the complete guide to FuboTV channels.)
- Cost: $44.99-$79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- PlayStation Vue devices: PlayStation 3 and 4, Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Kodi, iOS and Android devices
If you want an IFC live stream on PlayStation Vue, you’ll need the second-level “Core” package for $49.99 per month. You’ll get IFC, plus AMC, BBC America, four ESPN channels, NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA TV, Disney, Cartoon Network, and plenty more. (Here’s the complete guide to PlayStation Vue channels.)
5) YouTube TV
Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
YouTube TV is a strong choice if you want to live stream sports channels—and it luckily comes with an IFC live stream. Other entertainment options include AMC, BBC America, Disney, Cartoon Network, FX, and more. Sports are plentiful, with CBS Sports, four ESPN channels, Fox Sports 1 or 2, NBA TV, though no NFL Network or RedZone. (Here’s the complete guide to YouTube TV channels.)
6) DirecTV Now
- Cost: $40-$75 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- DirecTV Now devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick
To get an IFC live stream on DirecTV Now, you’ll want to opt for the $55-per-month “Just Right” package. That said, it’s a strong deal for the money with 85 channels. It comes with plenty of additional film channels and sports options, like Lifetime and ESPN. If you love your premium channels like HBO, DirecTV Now offers the cheapest way to get them at $5 a month. (Here’s the complete guide to DirecTV Now channels.)
Other ways to watch IFC online
The IFC app is a solid way of watching IFC content while on the move. You’ll just need to subscribe to one of the above streaming services to log in. On the app, sign in using the same login info you use for that service.
Cost: Free, requires stream provider
Like a lot of channels, you can watch an IFC live stream from the comfort of your home computer or laptop. Follow the same directions as the app—use your streaming service provider to login, and enjoy.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.