- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
The Syfy channel used to associated with corny movies and even lower-budget TV shows, since its own reboot in 2009, the channel has been offering more premium offerings like The Expanse and the upcoming Nightflyers, based on George R.R. Martin’s space thriller. Here’s everything you need to know to watch a Syfy live stream for free and see what you’ve been missing.
|HOW TO WATCH SYFY|
|HULU WITH LIVE TV||TRY NOW|
|SLING TV||TRY NOW|
|PLAYSTATION VUE||TRY NOW|
What is Syfy?
Syfy, or as it was known before the 2009 rebranding, Sci-Fi, launched in 1992 as a place for lovers of science fiction, high fantasy, horror, supernatural, paranormal, and reality TV. Some of science fiction’s greatest minds were part of the channel’s creation, with Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and author Isaac Asimov on the advisory board, though neither would live to see the channel’s launch. The channel launched with a viewing of the original Star Wars, with Leonard Nimoy serving as master of ceremonies for the launch party.
- The best new sci-fi movies of 2018
- Best sci-fi TV shows of 2018
- 14 mind-blowing nature and science documentaries on Netflix
Since then, Syfy has made a name for itself with a roller coaster of quality, airing geek culture classics like Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, and Steven Spielberg’s Taken mini-series. It’s Hollywood makeup artistry reality show Faceoff has been running strong for the better part of the last decade. Made-for-TV movies like Sharknado and its various sequels have been mocked for just as long, but even those movies have reached so-bad-they’re-good cult classic status.
Syfy live stream: 5 ways to watch online for free
All of the major live TV streaming services offer Syfy, and most include it in their basic channel packages, meaning you don’t have to upgrade to get it. You have plenty of options. All of the services offer a one-week free trial, so make good use of them to figure out which one is ideal for you. Here’s everything you need to know to watch Syfy online.
- Cost: $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Hulu local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
The good news is there’s only one Hulu package to choose from, but it’s really a 2-for-1 deal since you’re also getting access to its on-demand library as well. It’s a pretty solid selection (Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, TBS, the CW), but there are a few omissions that will probably bring it down a peg, namely Viacom channels like Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon. AMC is also out, so Walking Dead fans best look elsewhere. (Here’s a complete guide to Hulu Live TV channels.)
Game-changing feature: Every subscription comes with free access to Hulu’s on-demand library, meaning you can catch up on all of your favorite shows. (Here are our picks for the best movies on Hulu, Hulu documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu originals.)
2) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (40% off first month)
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
- Sling TV local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
Sling TV is split up between two basic packages (Sling Orange and Sling Blue, both $25 per month). You’ll want Sling Blue (or Sling Orange + Blue) for a Syfy live stream. It’s a more sports-heavy package, but it still comes with entertainment options like AMC, Comedy Central, and BBC America for you Whovians. If you see something on Sling Orange that you absolutely need (ESPN and Disney Channel, anyone?), you can combine the two packages in what’s called Sling Orange + Blue for $40 a month. (Here’s a complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
Game-changing feature: Price. Sling TV is the cheapest way to watch Syfy online.
- Cost: $44.99 for your first month and $44.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial)
- FuboTV devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
- FuboTV local channels: Fox, NBC, CBS (check local availability here)
While FuboTV is a pretty expensive package after the first month, you do get some solid sports and entertainment options for your trouble. Your Syfy live stream is there, alongside BBC America, AMC, Cartoon Network, and more. Just stay away from the completely useless “Fubo Extra” package, which is full of useless channels. (Here’s a complete guide to FuboTV channels.)
Game-changing feature: Three-day replay for games and 30 hours of cloud DVR
- Cost: $44.99-$79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- PlayStation Vue devices: PlayStation 3 and 4, Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Kodi, iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
You don’t need a PlayStation to watch a Syfy live stream on PlayStation Vue, and Sony’s little service packs a great punch. For the entry-level Access package, you’ll get Syfy, BBC America, AMC, Fox Sports, ESPN, TNT, FX, and more. If you’re really into sports, you’ll want to go on level up to the Core package. If you don’t feel like shelling out a ton of money for the package that includes HBO, you can add premium channels individually for about $15 a month each. (Here’s a complete guide to PlayStation Vue channels.).
Game-changing feature: You can stream on up to five devices at once, and there’s unlimited cloud DVR.
5) YouTube TV
- Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
Like Hulu, there’s only one package to choose from with YouTube, and it’s very well-rounded. You’ll get a Syfy live stream, BBC America, CW, AMC, and a ton of sports options. The only geeky downside is that there’s no option to add on HBO. (Here’s a complete guide to YouTube TV channels.)
Game-changing feature: You can add up to six accounts per household, and each one of those accounts gets unlimited cloud DVR. Even better: You can fast-forward through ads in recorded programs.
Syfy live stream: Other ways to watch online
If you feel like watching a Syfy live stream from your laptop or desktop computer, the good news is that Syfy accepts these live stream providers just as easily as they would accept actual cable providers. Simply go to Syfy.com/live, then click the arrow button next to “show all providers,” and select whichever one you use. Currently accepted providers include DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Hulu, YouTube TV, FuboTV, and PlayStation Vue.
2) Syfy Now
Cost: Free to download, requires cable or live TV streaming subscription to unlock most features
Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Tablets, and TV; Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
While you can live stream Syfy with the channel’s official app, you can catch up on all of your favorite shows with relative ease. New episodes hitting the app the day after they air. You’ll also be able to access the usual assortment of behind-the-scenes clips and interviews.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.