- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
|HOW TO WATCH SYFY WITHOUT CABLE|
|HULU WITH LIVE TV||TRY NOW|
|SLING TV||TRY NOW|
The Syfy channel used to associated with corny movies and even lower-budget TV shows, since its own reboot in 2009, the channel has been offering more premium offerings like The Expanse and the upcoming Nightflyers, based on George R.R. Martin’s space thriller. Here’s everything you need to know to watch a Syfy live stream for free and see what you’ve been missing.
What is Syfy?
Syfy, or as it was known before the 2009 rebranding, Sci-Fi, launched in 1992 as a place for lovers of science fiction, high fantasy, horror, supernatural, paranormal, and reality TV. Some of science fiction’s greatest minds were part of the channel’s creation, with Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and author Isaac Asimov on the advisory board, though neither would live to see the channel’s launch. The channel launched with a viewing of the original Star Wars, with Leonard Nimoy serving as master of ceremonies for the launch party.
- The best new sci-fi movies of 2018
- Best sci-fi TV shows of 2018
- 14 mind-blowing nature and science documentaries on Netflix
Since then, Syfy has made a name for itself with a roller coaster of quality, airing geek culture classics like Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, and Steven Spielberg’s Taken mini-series. It’s Hollywood makeup artistry reality show Faceoff has been running strong for the better part of the last decade. Made-for-TV movies like Sharknado and its various sequels have been mocked for just as long, but even those movies have reached so-bad-they’re-good cult classic status.
Syfy live stream: 5 ways to watch online for free
All of the major live TV streaming services offer Syfy, and most include it in their basic channel packages, meaning you don’t have to upgrade to get it. You have plenty of options. All of the services offer a one-week free trial, so make good use of them to figure out which one is ideal for you. Here’s everything you need to know to watch Syfy online.
- Cost: $54.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, LG, Samsung, Vizio, and iOS and Android devices
- Hulu local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
The good news is there’s only one Hulu package to choose from, but it’s really a 2-for-1 deal since you’re also getting access to its on-demand library as well. It’s a pretty solid selection (Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, TBS, the CW), but there are a few omissions that will probably bring it down a peg, namely Viacom channels like Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon. AMC is also out, so Walking Dead fans best look elsewhere. (Here’s a complete guide to Hulu Live TV channels.)
Game-changing feature: Every subscription comes with free access to Hulu’s on-demand library, meaning you can catch up on all of your favorite shows. (Here are our picks for the best movies on Hulu, Hulu documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu originals.)
2) Sling TV
- Cost: $30-$45 per month (40% off first month)
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, LG, Samsung, and iOS and Android devices
- Sling TV local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
Sling TV is split up between two basic packages (Sling Orange and Sling Blue, both $30 per month). You’ll want Sling Blue (or Sling Orange + Blue) for a Syfy live stream. It’s a more sports-heavy package, but it still comes with entertainment options like AMC, Comedy Central, and BBC America for you Whovians. If you see something on Sling Orange that you absolutely need (ESPN and Disney Channel, anyone?), you can combine the two packages in what’s called Sling Orange + Blue for $40 a month. (Here’s a complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
Game-changing feature: Price. Sling TV is the cheapest way to watch Syfy online.
- Cost: $54.99- $79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- FuboTV devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS, Samsung, and Android devices
- FuboTV local channels: Fox, NBC, CBS (check local availability here)
While FuboTV is a pretty expensive package after the first week, you do get some solid sports and entertainment options for your trouble. Your Syfy live stream is there, alongside BBC America, AMC, Cartoon Network, and more. Just stay away from the completely useless “Fubo Extra” package, which is full of useless channels. (Here’s a complete guide to FuboTV channels.)
Game-changing feature: Three-day replay for games and 30 hours of cloud DVR
4) YouTube TV
- Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check your availability)
Like Hulu, there’s only one package to choose from with YouTube, and it’s very well-rounded. You’ll get a Syfy live stream, BBC America, CW, AMC, and a ton of sports options. The only geeky downside is that there’s no option to add on HBO. (Here’s a complete guide to YouTube TV channels.)
Game-changing feature: You can add up to six accounts per household, and each one of those accounts gets unlimited cloud DVR. Even better: You can fast-forward through ads in recorded programs.
Syfy live stream: Other ways to watch online
If you feel like watching a Syfy live stream from your laptop or desktop computer, the good news is that Syfy accepts these live stream providers just as easily as they would accept actual cable providers. Simply go to Syfy.com/live, then click the arrow button next to “show all providers,” and select whichever one you use. Currently accepted providers include DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Hulu, YouTube TV, and FuboTV.
2) Syfy Now
Cost: Free to download, requires cable or live TV streaming subscription to unlock most features
Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Tablets, and TV; Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
While you can live stream Syfy with the channel’s official app, you can catch up on all of your favorite shows with relative ease. New episodes hitting the app the day after they air. You’ll also be able to access the usual assortment of behind-the-scenes clips and interviews.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.