In 1990s Boston, a city plagued with violent crime is emboldened by almost equally nasty law enforcement agencies where corruption and tribalism run rampant, and bending the rules is the norm. Then, suddenly, everything changed. Youth gun violence plummeted in what history has dubbed “The Boston Miracle.”
City on a Hill is a fictional account of this “miracle,” and how a city changed the way it enforced the law and policed its communities for the better. The catalyst of this divine reform comes from an unlikely duo. One is an optimistic District Attorney from Brooklyn, who forms an uneasy alliance with a morally ambiguous FBI veteran and status quo fan who nevertheless put aside their differences to affect positive change. From executive produces Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, and Barry Levinson, comes a new type of cop show, which retells the upending of the Boston criminal justice system…hopefully for the better.
Here’s how to watch City on a Hill online for free.
|HOW TO STREAM ‘WATCH CITY ON A HILL’|
|HULU WITH LIVE TV||TRY NOW|
|SLING TV||TRY NOW|
|AMAZON PRIME||TRY NOW|
City on a Hill cast
- Kevin Bacon as Jackie Rohr
- Aldis Hodge as Decourcy Ward
- Jonathan Tucker as Frankie Ryan
- Mark O’Brien as Jimmy Ryan
- Amanda Clayton as Cathy Ryan
- Jere Shea as Hank Signa
- James Michael Cummings as Tommy Hayes
- Kevin Chapman as Dickie Minogue
- Cathy Moriarty as Ma Ryan
- Rory Culkin as Clay Roach
- Jill Hennessy as Jenny Rhodes
- Kevin Dunn as Nathan Rey
- Lauren E. Banks as Siobhan Quay
- Vincent Elbaz as Boston Cop Hugo Rey
- Sophia Anne Caruso as Benedetta Rhodes
- Michaela McManus as FBI Agent Sarah Rhodes
- Kishka Sklarin as Labradoodle
What channel is City on a Hill on?
City on a Hill is available exclusively on Showtime.
How to watch City on a Hill for free
There are a number of different online services that offer Showtime as a premium channel. You can also sign-up directly through Showtime. Either way, you’ll be able to start with at least a seven-day trial, so you can watch City on a Hill for free.
1 ) Sling TV
- Cost: $30 to $45 per month ($10 off first month) for Sling TV | $10 per month for Showtime
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
For a more à la carte service, look to Sling TV. It offers two cable packages, Sling Orange and Sling Blue, both of which cost $30 per month. If you grab them both with Sling Orange + Blue for $45 per month. Sling Blue offers more bang for your buck with over 40 channels, including sports necessities like FS1, NBCSN, and NFL Network. Whichever package you choose, you’ll need to add Showtime for an additional $10.99 a month. Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels.
- Cost: $10.99 per month (after 7-day free trial) for Showtime | Prime subscription for $119.99
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you’re using Amazon Prime for free two-day shipping, you also gain access to Prime Video. It’s a great hub for your premium channels, including Showtime, where you can stream City on a Hill.
- Cost: $10.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
Showtime gives you access to all the movies and TV shows the premium cable channel has to offer. There are cheaper alternatives to gain access, but you need to subscribe to a secondary streaming service first. However, if you just want to watch City on a Hill, this is the quickest and the cheapest way to do so. All episodes of City on a Hill will be available on the app as well, along with Ray Donovan, Shameless, and countless other Showtime hits and movies.
4) Hulu and Hulu with Live TV
- Cost: $5.99-$11.99 for Hulu or $54.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Hulu with Live TV | $10.99 per month for Showtime
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
Adding Showtime to your Hulu account is easy as pie. If you’re looking for an online cable package that comes with Hulu on-demand content, Hulu With Live TV is a great offer at a great price. You’ll have almost 60 channels to flip through, including HGTV, a full suite of ESPN channels, Cartoon Network, FX, and more. Whichever Hulu package you choose, adding Showtime will cost $10.99 a month, after your free trial expires. (Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.)
- Cost: $44.99 for your first month and $54.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial) for FuboTV | $10.99 per month for Showtime
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
FuboTV was built from the ground up with sports fans in mind. There are different channel packages available whether you’re looking for basketball, soccer, golf, and even outdoor sports like rock climbing. But no worries, all the great cable channels you’re after are present too, including Viceland, Bravo, TBS, and IFC. Access to Showtime will cost an additional $10.99 a month. (Here’s the complete FuboTV channels list and our comprehensive FuboTV review.)
6) YouTube TV
- Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for YouTube TV | Showtime currently costs $10.99 per month on YouTubeTV, down from $10 per month
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
YouTube TV is a great solution for families because one subscription can add up to six accounts. Each account comes with unlimited cloud DVR. There are sports channels like NBCSN, NBA TV, and four ESPN channels. Disney, Disney XD, Disney Junior, and Cartoon Network will keep any kid (or kid at heart) busy for hours. It also comes with a few Spanish-language channels like Telemundo and NBC Universo. AMC, BBC America, and IFC are there too, so you won’t miss out on all that prestige TV. Adding Showtime to your subscription is easy, and only runs an additional discounted price of $10.99 a month. (You can find the full list of YouTube TV channels here.)
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.