- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Today 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Today 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Today 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Today 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Today 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Today 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Today 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Today 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Today 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Today 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Today 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine Today 7:18 AM
You have plenty of options.
Since 2011, Showtime has been sharing the adventures of the Gallagher family. Originally a remake of a popular British series, Shameless has evolved into its own being, a deeply American comedy about family and poverty. With a cast that includes William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, Joan Cusack, and more, it’s easy to understand why Shameless has developed a rabid following. If you want to catch up but you’ve already ditched your cable plan, don’t worry. There are plenty of ways to watch Shameless season 9 online, and some of them are even free if you’re quick. Sick of missing Shameless? Here’s how you can start watching Shameless without cable.
How to watch Shameless season 9 for free
- Cost: $44.99-$79.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial), Showtime costs $10.99 per month for normal subscribers and $8.99 per month for PS+ members
- Devices: PlayStation 3 and 4, Roku, Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Kodi, iOS and Android devices
PlayStation users looking to add streaming TV to there consoles have just one option: PlayStation Vue. But there are plenty of other ways you can stream Sony’s live TV service, and you can add Showtime for $10.99 per month. You’ll save $2 per month though if you’re a PlayStation Plus member. (Showtime Anytime, the channel’s app, is not available on PlayStation, unfortunately.) Here are all of PlayStation Vue channels.
- Cost: $10.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Showtime | $119.99 per year for Prime
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you want to catch up on the U.K. version of Shameless, you’re in luck. Amazon is streaming it as part of Prime for free, but if you want the U.S. edition, you’ll need a Showtime subscription. Thankfully, Amazon Prime Video makes it easy to add your favorite movie channels right within the Prime Video app. Membership includes a seven-day free trial, so if you wait until the end of the season (or at least the first half), you can probably binge the whole thing for free.
- Cost: $10.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
When you absolutely need Showtime right now, go directly to the source. Showtime Anytime is the premium movie channel’s own app, letting you watch the channel without needing to pay for another service first. There are cheaper ways to get Showtime, in theory, but they all require paying for a secondary membership first. If all you want is to watch Shameless right now, this is your best and most affordable bet. Plus, in addition to being able to watch Shameless season 9, you can catch up on all of the earlier episodes on-demand.
- Cost:$10.99 per month for Showtime | $39.99 for your first month and $44.99 per month thereafter (after a 7-day free trial) for FuboTV
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Android TV, iOS and Android devices
FuboTV is an international sports-focused streaming TV option, with a surprisingly robust package of entertainment channels that has only gotten better with time. It also has the best local TV coverage of any online streaming TV service. Since its introduction, FuboTV’s biggest weakness has been its lack of premium movie options. That’s changed with the introduction of Showtime to FuboTV. Users who want to watch Shameless and English Premier League should give FuboTV a look. (Here’s the complete FuboTV channels list.)
5) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (after a 7-day free trial), Showtime is $10 per month
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
No service has pivoted to meet the needs of users who were sick of pointlessly massive cable packages than Sling TV. Offering users a selection of a la carte channel packages, Sling TV only charges you for the channels you want to watch. That includes add-on premium movie channels like Showtime. At $10 per month, Sling TV offers Showtime for the same amount as everyone else, but its streaming TV service is worth considering. (Here’s a complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
6) Hulu and Hulu with Live TV
- Cost: $7.99-$11.99 for Hulu and $40 per month for Hulu with Live TV (after a 7-day free trial). Showtime comes with a 1-month free trial, then costs $4.99 per month for the first three months and $10.99 per month afterward
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
Hulu is a jack of all trades, a service that provides streaming on-demand TV and movies as well as featuring a streaming TV service. Hulu is already the best deal for people who miss first-run TV, so adding Showtime to your package feels like a no-brainer. Plus, Hulu is currently running a deal for Showtime that gets you service for $4.99 per month for the first three months. That’s a steal for Showtime. (Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.)
7) YouTube TV
- Cost: $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial), Showtime currently costs $7 per month on YouTube, down from $10 per month
- Devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
YouTube TV is an unsung service. It provides incredible streaming quality, great features like unlimited cloud DVR, and allows multiple people to stream on the same account at once. And, it’s charging just $7 per month for Showtime. That’s the cheapest option you’ll find in all of streaming.
8) DirecTV Now
- Cost: $40-$75 per month (after a 7-day free trial), Showtime costs $8 per month
- Devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick
Shameless fans looking to get into streaming TV after ditching their cable company should give DirecTV Now a test run. While there are slightly cheaper options, DirecTV Now offers the most channels for a competitive price along. You can add Showtime to any of DirecTV Now’s four channel packages for $8 per month. And even better: You can add HBO for just $5 per month. (You can view the full DirecTV Now channels list here.)
How to watch Shameless online, seasons 1-8
- Netflix cost: $8-$14 per month (after a 1-month free trial)
- Netflix devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, and iOS and Android devices
If you need to catch up Shameless, the cheapest and easiest way to do it is on Netflix, which has the first eight seasons of the show streaming. Along with Shameless, viewers get a subscription to Netflix and a host of other popular Showtime shows, including the legendary Dexter, not to mention the service’s unmatched collection of Netflix originals.
- The best Netflix original series of 2018
- The best Netflix original documentaries of 2018
- The best Netflix comedy specials of 2018
- The best Netflix original movies of 2018
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, AMC, FX, Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Golf Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim,the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, the Weather Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adapter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.