- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
For true crime fanatics, no one is quite as legendary as “White Boy Rick.” Those unfamiliar might want to tune into Starz this week for White Boy, a documentary that shares his unusual fate.
In the 1980s, during the height of the War on Drugs, Detroit teen Richard Wershe Jr.—better known now by his nickname—became the youngest FBI informant at age 14. After the agency no longer needed him, Wershe used his undercover experience to his advantage and quickly became a high-profile drug dealer. He was apprehended in 1987 at age 17 with 8 kilos of cocaine and sentenced to life in prison under a controversial drug law in Michigan, making him the longest-serving juvenile offender for a non-violent crime.
According to the Guardian, while Wershe was an FBI informant, he “immersed himself with drug dealers and helped bring down violent kingpins, a corrupt ring of Detroit cops, and a string of gang members.” By 1998, the 650 Lifer law, which imposed a mandatory life sentence on anyone carrying 650 grams of cocaine, was rolled back and deemed unsuccessful. More than 220 people sentenced under the former law, including violent offenders, were released by 2015. Wershe was in Michigan’s correctional facilities until April 2017
In the engaging documentary White Boy, director Christopher S. Rech (A Murder in the Park) interviews journalists, federal agents, and police officials to discuss the strange, tragic, and complicated life of Richard Wershe Jr.
Here’s everything you need to know to watch White Boy online for free.
What channel is White Boy on?
White Boy will be available exclusively on Starz.
What time does White Boy start?
White Boy airs on Monday, April 8 at 9pm ET. It originally premiered at the Telluride Film Festival and the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2018, but Starz acquired the documentary and this will be its television debut.
- PS Vue is a strong contender in the streaming wars
- Is YouTube TV really worth the cost?
- How to make the most of your Netflix subscription
- How does Hulu work—and how much does it cost?
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6
How to watch White Boy online for free
If you’re looking to watch White Boy online for free, you have options ranging from on-demand apps to a handful of live TV streaming services. Each of the streaming services come with a free seven-day trial.
1) Sling TV
Cost: $25 to $40 per month (40% off first month) for Sling TV | $9 per month for Starz
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
For a more à la carte service, look to Sling TV. It offers two cable packages, Sling Orange and Sling Blue, both of which cost $25 per month. If you grab them both (Sling Orange + Blue) you can save $10 per month. Sling Blue offers more bang for your buck with over 40 channels, including sports necessities like FS1, NBCSN, and NFL Network. You’ll also gain access to the usual cable mainstays like Food Network, Discovery, Cartoon Network, SYFY, and FXX. Whichever package you choose, you can add Starz for an additional $9 a month. Here’s the complete guide to Sling TV channels.
2) Starz app
- Cost: $8.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Mac, PC, Apple TV, Android TV, Fire Stick, Xbox One, Xbox One S, select Samsung Smart TVs
The Starz standalone app is the most direct way to stream White Boy, even if it is without the frills of additional channels. You can watch all new and past episodes of Starz shows like American Gods, but you’ll also gain access to other Starz shows like Power and Outlander, along with the current lineup of Starz movies.
- Cost: $8.99 per month (after free 7-day trial) for Starz | Prime subscription for $119.99
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you’re always online, there’s a good chance you’re already tapping your Amazon Prime account for your streaming needs. Prime Streaming is only $119 per year, but you can try it for 30 days free. Adding Starz to your Prime Video channels lineup couldn’t be simpler. Once added, you’ll not only be able to catch White Boy, but watch all those episodes you missed on-demand. You can also try the Starz channel add-on free for a week before you commit to the $8.99-a-month subscription.
4) Hulu and Hulu with Live TV
- Cost: $5.99 to $11.99 per month for Hulu or $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Hulu with Live TV | $8.99 per month for Starz (after a 1-month free trial)
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
Hulu plans start at $5.99 a month for the basic Hulu service, but you can upgrade to Hulu No Ads for 11.99 a month. If you’re looking for a live-streaming service, Hulu with Live TV plans start at $40 a month and comes with a suite of more than 50 channels including HGTV, a full suite of ESPN channels, Cartoon Network, FX, and even deep cuts like Nat Geo Wild and Syfy. Whichever package you choose, you can add Starz for only $8.99 a month. Even better? You can preview Starz for free for a month before you’re billed for it. Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.
5) YouTube TV
Cost: $49.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for YouTube TV | $9 per month for Starz
- YouTube TV devices: Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
YouTube TV is a great solution for families because one subscription can add up to six accounts. Each account comes with unlimited cloud DVR. There are sports channels like NBCSN, NBA TV, and four ESPN channels. AMC, BBC America, and IFC are there too, so you won’t miss out on all that prestige TV. Adding Starz to your subscription is easy, and only runs an additional $9 a month. (You can find the full list of YouTube TV channels here.)
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Jaime Carillo is a writer for Pure Nintendo and a plucky YouTube cook. He specializes in writing about console gaming and kitchen gadgets. It comes naturally, considering he's either wielding a massive cleaver or Switch Pro controller at any given point. When he's not cruising through a drive-thru at 2am, he's baking shokupan or whipping up a big pot of Japanese curry. He enjoys retro gaming, geopolitics, and Vic Berger videos.