- Poster for ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ gets mercilessly roasted 5 Months Ago
- How to steam March Madness 2019 for free 5 Months Ago
- Trump maintains attack on late John McCain 5 Months Ago
- How to know if someone blocked you on Snapchat Today 6:30 AM
- Drag queens are calling on DirecTV to keep Viacom channels Today 6:16 AM
- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
Send out a real-time blast when you’re running late.
Ever felt unsafe walking or biking home? A new feature in Google Maps for iPhone will allow users to share real-time data with friends and family while in transit. The Google Maps real time feature allows users to send their current location, route, and ETA over text message or third-party apps including Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.
Whether you want to let your pals know you got home safely or share real-time updates when you’re running late, this update serves as a virtual “OMW!” text.
Over the past year, Maps has rolled out additional features like a destination match feature, group planning, and real-time transit location tracking. In October, Google introduced the option to “follow” your favorite businesses and locations on Google Maps to receive regular updates. After you upgrade to the latest version of Google Maps, share your real-time Google Maps updates with friends. It only takes a few simple steps.
How to share Google Maps real time data on iOS
Once you have input your destination and begun navigating, press the ˄ button at the bottom of your screen. Next, select the Share trip progress option. Choose which friend to share your Google Maps data with and what method of contact to use.
This feature is really that simple. Google Maps will automatically stop sharing your location once your trip ends.
A recent blog post from Google notes that the journey-sharing feature works for driving, walking, and cycling navigation but not public transport. The feature can also be utilized when traveling with ride-hailing apps such as Uber and Lyft as well.
“Getting where you need to go is important, but making it to your destination safe and sound is the most important thing of all,” Google’s post reads.
- The best apps for shooting and editing selfies
- Waze vs Google Maps vs Apple Maps: The best navigation app
- 201 questions Siri has hilarious answers for
- How to use Google Photos to upload, edit, and backup all your photos
Long a go-to for drivers, the app has recently made a push toward becoming a more social tool for urbanites. In the past year, Google Maps has offered integration for waiting on train arrival times, group planning, restaurant recommendations, opened itself up to developers for gaming integration, simplified pin-dropping, and improved accessibility.
Mikael Thalen is a freelance journalist based in Seattle, covering all things technology, including social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.