- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death 1 Year Ago
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ 1 Year Ago
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art 1 Year Ago
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus 1 Year Ago
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Today 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
- Disney’s Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries is now on hold Today 6:47 AM
- The coronavirus outbreak has become a breeding ground of misinformation Today 6:30 AM
- Muslim girls are making fun of Islamophobia in viral TikTok videos Thursday 8:34 PM
- Kendall Jenner’s ‘cruel’ dog collar sparks online debate Thursday 8:04 PM
Cutting the cord simplifies your life, but when you’re selecting your new streaming services, it’s essential to keep track of the little things. That means things like DVR, which lets you record your favorite shows even when they’re not on-demand.
While almost every streaming TV solution offers some form of DVR, not everyone offers the same features. Thankfully, Hulu with Live TV handles DVR as well as Hulu handles streaming. Here’s everything you need to know about Hulu with Live TV DVR, from what it costs to how it works and its limitations.
Hulu with Live TV DVR: The Cost
DVR is a standard feature for streaming TV services, with everyone from YouTube TV and FuboTV to PlayStation Vue offering some variation of it. Hulu with Live TV is no exception, offering free cloud DVR to all subscribers. Every user gets 50 hours of space included with their subscription.
Looking for more space? Extra time is available for $14.99 per month with the enhanced cloud DVR add-on, which also adds a new feature we’ll discuss in a moment.
- Hulu Live TV channels: The complete list and add-ons
- Hulu vs Netflix: Which streaming service is right for you?
- How many devices can stream Hulu and Hulu with Live TV?
How Hulu with Live TV DVR works
For the most part, you can record anything on Hulu with Live TV. But there are a few exceptions.
While Hulu doesn’t provide a list of the programs you can’t record, you won’t be able to DVR things like blacked-out local sporting events. However, this is common on all streaming TV services. One note: if you’re trying to record a sporting event, make sure to schedule your DVR to record the show after it. That way if the game goes into overtime you won’t miss any action.
- How to get Hulu for free with Sprint
- Hulu No Commercials vs Hulu Limited Commercials: What’s the difference?
- The best movies on Hulu
- The best adult cartoons on Hulu
Every Hulu with Live TV account comes with 50 hours of free DVR storage. Once you’ve reached your limit, Hulu will delete your oldest recording to make extra room. For $14.99 per month, subscribers can get the enhanced cloud DVR add-on, which gives you up to 200 hours of DVR space. In addition to the extra time, the enhanced cloud DVR feature also lets viewers fast-forward through ad breaks on their records. For some viewers that feature is worth the cost by itself.
Along with DVR and a wonderful cable package, Hulu with Live TV members also get a standard Hulu subscription, which dramatically increases your on-demand offerings. Best of all, these features carry across your devices. Schedule recordings on your phone, then watch them on your TV, Xbox, or your personal other favorite Hulu device with ease.
Hulu with Live TV DVR limitations
Hulu with Live TV isn’t hampered by many problems, but for some users, the storage will be an issue. Fifty hours of DVR can fill up quickly for true TV devotees. Even with the ability to skip ads in recordings, $14.99 per month is expensive for extra DVR space. While 200 hours is a ton of space, some of the competitions are offering far more storage for less money.
Hulu with Live TV DVR local channels
As with all streaming TV services, Hulu with Live TV can’t record games that are blacked-out for local viewers. In addition, there are some local channels on Hulu that can’t be recorded due to regional availability restrictions. Hulu with Live TV doesn’t have a public listing of which affiliates aren’t included with your cloud DVR. Accordingly, make sure you test your local channels during the free trial to make sure they’re included.
Not sure what to watch on Hulu? Here are the best movies on Hulu, what’s new, the best shows on Hulu, the sexiest movies you can stream on the service, Hulu documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu original series.
Looking for something more specific? Here are the best thrillers, serial killer movies, and action movies to get your heart racing, classic movies when you want a blast from the past, sad movies when you need a good cry, adult cartoons, and funny movies on Hulu when you need a good laugh.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adopter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.