- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ 1 Year Ago
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers 1 Year Ago
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving 1 Year Ago
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ 1 Year Ago
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes 1 Year Ago
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own 1 Year Ago
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin 1 Year Ago
- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize Today 10:27 AM
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options Today 10:21 AM
- Trump calls 25th Amendment talk a ‘coup’ attempt Today 8:42 AM
- The Hatebook: Inside Facebook’s thriving subculture of racism Today 7:29 AM
- Anthony Hamilton’s national anthem at All-Star game sparks MVP meme Today 7:02 AM
- ‘Subtle Asian Dating’ is the un-Tinder we all need right now Today 5:00 AM
- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
Stop waking Siri.
If you recently threw down $1,000 for the iPhone X, then you’ve come to the realization that it’s unlike any Apple smartphone before it. Gone is the beloved home button and with it, all the gestures you’ve grown accustomed to over the years. You might night even know how to turn the iPhone X off.
So what should you do when you don’t need to use your device and want to save battery? Pressing the side button, like before, will idle the screen, but your iPhone X’s battery will continue to drain as it runs applications in the background. The only way is to turn the device off completely.
Unlike iPhones before it, turning off the iPhone X requires a bit of know-how. Here’s a guide on how to turn off the iPhone X so you can stop accidentally waking Siri.
How to turn off iPhone X
1. Press and hold the side button and either volume button (up or down). Don’t be deterred if it doesn’t turn off immediately. You’ll need to hold down both buttons for about 1.5 seconds. Also, avoid a short press, which could trigger a screengrab.
2. Swipe the “slide to power off” slider to the right. Note: To turn the iPhone X back on, you only need to hold the side button, not the volume rocker.
- Is the Apple Upgrade Program really worth it?
- How to customize Control Center in iOS 11 to your liking
- The simple trick to using screen recording in iOS 11
That’s it! Super simple once you’ve got it remember. Now you can turn off your iPhone X when you don’t need it and extend the life of its battery so Apple doesn’t slow it down with a software update.
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.