- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search 2 Years Ago
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban 2 Years Ago
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself 2 Years Ago
- Instagram is hiding likes globally and searching for a ‘well-being’ product researcher 2 Years Ago
- ‘The Mandalorian’ opens up its mythology even further in ‘Chapter 2’ Today 12:54 PM
- Want to buy a drone on a budget? We’ve got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- ‘Simpsons’ writer accuses Republicans of stealing Sideshow Bob’s defense Today 12:49 PM
- Keanu Reeves’ appearance in ‘SpongeBob Movie’ trailer quickly becomes a meme Today 12:35 PM
- Charli XCX makes the band in Netflix’s ‘Nasty Cherry’ Today 12:33 PM
- Taylor Swift’s distress call reignites fight with Scooter Braun and former label Today 12:16 PM
- How to disable autoplay for previews and trailers on Disney+ Today 12:10 PM
- College basketball stream: How to watch North Carolina vs. Gardner-Webb Today 12:00 PM
- Trump accused of witness intimidation for tweets during impeachment hearing Today 11:48 AM
- Roger Stone convicted Today 11:34 AM
- FCC to replace comment system that got spammed during net neutrality fight Today 11:31 AM
If you recently threw down $1,000 for the iPhone X, then you’ve come to the realization that it’s unlike any Apple smartphone before it. Gone is the beloved home button and with it, all the gestures you’ve grown accustomed to over the years. You might night even know how to turn the iPhone X off.
So what should you do when you don’t need to use your device and want to save battery? Pressing the side button, like before, will idle the screen, but your iPhone X’s battery will continue to drain as it runs applications in the background. The only way is to turn the device off completely.
Unlike iPhones before it, turning off the iPhone X requires a bit of know-how. Here’s a guide on how to turn off the iPhone X so you can stop accidentally waking Siri.
How to turn off iPhone X
1. Press and hold the side button and either volume button (up or down). Don’t be deterred if it doesn’t turn off immediately. You’ll need to hold down both buttons for about 1.5 seconds. Also, avoid a short press, which could trigger a screengrab.
2. Swipe the “slide to power off” slider to the right. Note: To turn the iPhone X back on, you only need to hold the side button, not the volume rocker.
- Is the Apple Upgrade Program really worth it?
- How to customize Control Center in iOS 11 to your liking
- The simple trick to using screen recording in iOS 11
That’s it! Super simple once you’ve got it remember. Now you can turn off your iPhone X when you don’t need it and extend the life of its battery so Apple doesn’t slow it down with a software update.
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.