- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League 2 Months Ago
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
The hashtag #TrumpsBodyCount is trending amid debates about President Donald Trump retweeting a conspiracy theory about the Clintons offing political enemies.
The trending phrase references another hashtag, #ClintonsBodyCount. This hashtag has been used to discuss the conspiracy theory that former President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton are responsible for killing people who could harm their political reputation.
On Saturday, Trump breathed life into the conspiracy theory by retweeting a tweet from conservative commentator Terrence K. Williams. In the video attached to the tweet, Williams details how he thinks the Clintons are responsible for the recent death of Jeffrey Epstein, an accused sex trafficker and former financier who was part of an elite circle that included both Trump and Clinton.
Died of SUICIDE on 24/7 SUICIDE WATCH ? Yeah right! How does that happen#JefferyEpstein had information on Bill Clinton & now he’s dead— Terrence K. Williams (@w_terrence) August 10, 2019
I see #TrumpBodyCount trending but we know who did this!
RT if you’re not Surprised#EpsteinSuicide #ClintonBodyCount #ClintonCrimeFamily pic.twitter.com/Y9tGAWaAxX
Epstein was found dead Saturday in his jail cell, where he was awaiting trial. Officials said Epstein died by suicide, although he was supposed to be on suicide watch after a recent suicide attempt.
Some conspiracy theorists believe that Epstein did not die by suicide. They believe he was instead killed for having incriminating information about powerful people, including Bill Clinton. (Epstein allegedly kept blackmail videos of high-profile elites.)
In response to the conspiracy theories about the Clintons, people started using the hashtag #TrumpsBodyCount to bring up cases where they feel like Trump was responsible for deaths. Some social media users referenced tragedies like migrants dying in detention centers and mass shooting victims.
I think the mass shooting could easily fit into #TrumpsBodyCount— Joanne Martin (@be11a102) August 11, 2019
Just want to make sure we include the 3,000 dead American victims of Hurricane Maria in #TrumpsBodyCount.— Patrick S. Tomlinson (@stealthygeek) August 11, 2019
Where to start? Victims of the mass shootings that he has inspired; The children and adults who have died in ICE custody; Those who can't afford medical treatment because of his attacks on Obamacare. #TrumpsBodyCount— Mark Klapper (@MarkKlapper) August 11, 2019
Puerto Rico.— dylan (@dylanmsmitty) August 11, 2019
Kids in cages.
White supremacist terrorists.
Police killing minorities.
Every single thing listed above has been enabled and okayed by a racist man named Donald Fucking Trump.#TrumpsBodyCount
Others are even using the hashtag to tweet conspiracy theories that Trump is tied to Epstein’s death–not the Clintons.
@realDonaldTrump own it!— Barbara (@tank_girl17) August 11, 2019
FACT: 2016 a woman alleged Donald Trump raped her @ age 13. She also alleged a witness. That witness=Jeffrey Epstein.
FACT: Jeffrey Epstein died in a Federal prison under the exclusive jurisdiction and control of Trump's Administration.#TrumpsBodyCount
Trump is pure projection. If Trump accuses someone of something, you can take it to the bank that he's doing that very thing himself. Bigly.— Ron Asher (@rmasher2) August 11, 2019
So when Trump retweets some moron blaming the Clintons for Epstein's 'suicide'... It's practically a confession.#TrumpBodyCount #AMJoy
Meanwhile, some are using both hashtags to bring up issues outside of the conspiracy theories.
“The rival #TrumpBodyCount and #ClintonBodyCount tags are almost ludicrously depressing… the US public reduced to picking a corrupt elite ‘team’ to ‘root for’ in the death of a wealthy sex trafficker,” Talia Lavin wrote.
the rival #TrumpBodyCount and #ClintonBodyCount tags are almost ludicrously depressing... the US public reduced to picking a corrupt elite “team” to “root for” in the death of a wealthy sex trafficker— Talia Lavin (@chick_in_kiev) August 10, 2019
- Trump retweets Jeffrey Epstein death conspiracy theory
- Conspiracy theorists point to Jeffrey Epstein’s ear as proof of faked suicide
- Conspiracy theories swirl after Jeffrey Epstein’s suicide
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Sierra Juarez is a freelance journalist and fact-checker based in Mexico. She most enjoys writing about human rights and politics and working in audience engagement. Her work has appeared in the Texas Tribune, the Austin American–Statesman, and the San Antonio Current.