- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ Saturday 8:56 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Saturday 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
This post contains discussion of suicide.
Within an hour of the announcement that accused sex trafficker and financier Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide, conspiracy theories began making the rounds on social media.
Epstein died in his jail cell on Saturday morning while waiting for his trial. He was charged with the sex trafficking of underage girls, the youngest victim being 14 years old.
In 2007, he was also indicted for paying young girls for sexual acts, but he signed a plea deal, or a “deal of a lifetime,” which kept him out of a state prison and gave him perks like a work release, according to the Miami Herald.
Many people–including the police chief of Palm Beach, Florida, where one of Epstein’s homes is–have said that the 2007 deal was too light and gave him preferential treatment. They point to the fact that the multimillionaire was part of an elite circle. Among others, he buddied up with President Donald Trump; former President Bill Clinton; Prince Andrew, Duke of York; and film director Woody Allen.
This time, Epstein wasn’t given the OK to stay out of prison as he waited for trial. On July 24, about two weeks prior to his death, Epstein was found with injuries on his neck. The prison ruled the incident as a suicide attempt, although Epstein, himself, said he was assaulted and called a “child predator,” according to CNN. The prison placed him on suicide watch.
When news came out of Epstein’s possible suicide attempt, the phrase “Clinton Body Count” started to trend. This references the conspiracy theory that the Clintons have killed people who could harm their reputations or are their political enemies. Conspiracy theorists have often thought that the Clintons would target Epstein because of his previous relationship with Bill Clinton.
Told ya all to put him somewhere safe.— cmconcepts (@cmconcepts) July 25, 2019
His little black book is going to make Heidi Fleiss book look like a Bible.
ALL, ALL those names want him dead.
But most of all he will become part of the #ClintonBodyCount https://t.co/eGIab1ZA4h
Just like in the aftermath of his alleged suicide attempt, Epstein’s death is causing social media to flare up with conspiracies.
Some conspiracy theorists think that someone from the elite circle killed him because he knew “too much.” In his Palm Beach house, Epstein allegedly would offer underage girls to his friends. Hidden video cameras throughout his mansion recorded the encounters. Some believe he recorded the interactions so that, if needed, he could use it as blackmail.
A high-profile Trump appointee Lynne Patton, who works for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), even added to the social media speculation on her personal Instagram account, according to Raw Story. She posted a screenshot of an article with the Epstein news and added a caption that says he got “Hillary’d!!”
Many are questioning that, if he really were on suicide watch, he shouldn’t have had access to anything capable of helping him kill himself. Even Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is demanding answers.
We need answers. Lots of them.https://t.co/4DMckiZnVB— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 10, 2019
Of course Epstein is dead.— Raheem Kassam (@RaheemKassam) August 10, 2019
You think they’d let him live, knowing what he knew?
Gimme a break.
He could have brought down the whole racket in 30 mins of testimony.
Retweet if you think that there needs to be a full investigation into Jeffrey Epstein's suicide.— PeterSweden (@PeterSweden7) August 10, 2019
A lot of prominent people could have been implicated by his evidence, so we must make sure there is no foul play.
Jeffrey Epstein killed himself in a way that literally should not have been possible. Someone on suicide watch should not have access to sheets, shoelaces, or anything else. What the hell happened?— Caroline Orr (@RVAwonk) August 10, 2019
I believe Jeffrey Eipstein was arrested for sex trafficking and I heard he had a BUNCH of dirt on hollywood people/big names. So the fact that he “committed suicide” looks a little bit sus, almost as if he was “taken out”. 👀— Bo Young (@BoYoungGeo) August 10, 2019
Often, I make fun of conspiracy theories. Here, if the Jeffrey #EpsteinSuicide really happened in a lockup WHILE HE WAS ON SUICIDE WATCH, it’s 100 percent reasonable to be deeply suspicious of the death. Heads should roll— Marc Caputo (@MarcACaputo) August 10, 2019
Our justice system is rottenhttps://t.co/KbtkQJmOTi
On Friday, hundreds of court documents became unsealed, claiming new accusations of sexual abuse against Epstein. He had a tentative trial date set for next year.
- Jeffrey Epstein’s lawyer bud: Hey why not 16-year-olds?
- Jeffrey Epstein’s injury immediately tied to Clinton Body Count conspiracy theory
- Conspiracy theorists think John McAfee is posting drone footage of Jeffrey Epstein’s island on YouTube
- Jeffrey Epstein reportedly wanted to seed the human race himself
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Sierra Juarez is a freelance journalist and fact-checker based in Mexico. She most enjoys writing about human rights and politics and working in audience engagement. Her work has appeared in the Texas Tribune, the Austin American–Statesman, and the San Antonio Current.