- Nick Cannon’s latest Eminem diss is not working out for him 1 Year Ago
- Conservatives want a war on porn. It’s puritanical sex values that need to go Today 7:00 AM
- The year in Meghan McCain news cycles Today 6:30 AM
- Why Tumblr is totally obsessed with 2 characters from Stephen King’s ‘It’ Today 6:00 AM
- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
“Sorry, for some reason Reddit can’t be reached.” It’s a message all redditors dread to see, but over the past 12 or so hours, many have seen versions of the text on the site’s homepage during a Reddit outage that started Tuesday evening
Around 6pm CT Monday evening, Reddit went down and the company began investigating what was going on. According to Twitter, Reddit identified and fixed a problem later that evening, but many users, both on web and mobile, were still experiencing a Reddit outage.
Resolved: This incident has been resolved. https://t.co/lXnON4vxxX— reddit status (@redditstatus) August 21, 2018
Earlier this morning, a number of users still couldn’t access the site. While Reddit believed the issue to be fixed, users were seeing “Our CDN was unable to reach our server” errors and were unable to reach the site’s homepage or login page. This error is an issue on Reddit’s end and has nothing to do with a user’s machine or internet connection.
No cigar guys -- same CDN error here for 30 minutes so far (13:28 UTC-1)— Simon Beaumont (@emergentai) August 21, 2018
Reddit is down this morning. I am getting an incredible amount of things accomplished.— Westerville Dad (@WestervilleDad) August 21, 2018
Reddit is one of the most popular sites on the internet. As of data aggregated in April by Hootsuite, it had actually surpassed Twitter in terms of daily active users. In May, it became the third most popular destination on the internet.
At the time of writing, Reddit’s official status website says that all things are currently operational, and Twitter users seem to have resumed tweeting Reddit links as normal. The website seems to be loading normally again.
- Reddit 50/50: What is it and why is it so popular?
- What is r/Conspiracy, Reddit’s biggest conspiracy theory forum?
- What is Reddit Gold, and why do people give it away?
H/T Game Revolution
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.