- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit Saturday 8:51 PM
- Ariana Grande’s ‘7 Rings’ courts controversy Saturday 6:19 PM
- Crowd of MAGA teens attempts to intimidate Native American protester Saturday 4:13 PM
- ‘Generously buttered noodles’ is the bizarre, wholesome meme you didn’t know you needed Saturday 2:07 PM
- All of Machinima’s YouTube videos are gone, stunning creators and fans (updated) Saturday 1:14 PM
- Photo of federal workers conjures Great Depression Saturday 12:24 PM
- How to watch Pacquiao vs. Broner online Saturday 9:00 AM
- What does IMO mean? Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Saturday 7:00 AM
- 12 must-see music documentaries on Netflix Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Saturday 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Saturday 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Saturday 4:48 AM
- Netflix says ‘Fortnite’ is more competition than HBO Friday 8:25 PM
One of the world’s most popular websites went dark last night.
“Sorry, for some reason Reddit can’t be reached.” It’s a message all redditors dread to see, but over the past 12 or so hours, many have seen versions of the text on the site’s homepage during a Reddit outage that started Tuesday evening
— Syl (@gauvins340) August 20, 2018
Around 6pm CT Monday evening, Reddit went down and the company began investigating what was going on. According to Twitter, Reddit identified and fixed a problem later that evening, but many users, both on web and mobile, were still experiencing a Reddit outage.
Resolved: This incident has been resolved. https://t.co/lXnON4vxxX
— reddit status (@redditstatus) August 21, 2018
Earlier this morning, a number of users still couldn’t access the site. While Reddit believed the issue to be fixed, users were seeing “Our CDN was unable to reach our server” errors and were unable to reach the site’s homepage or login page. This error is an issue on Reddit’s end and has nothing to do with a user’s machine or internet connection.
No cigar guys — same CDN error here for 30 minutes so far (13:28 UTC-1)
— Simon Beaumont (@emergentai) August 21, 2018
Reddit is down this morning. I am getting an incredible amount of things accomplished.
— Westerville Dad (@WestervilleDad) August 21, 2018
— yorai ben nun (@yoraibennun) August 21, 2018
Reddit is one of the most popular sites on the internet. As of data aggregated in April by Hootsuite, it had actually surpassed Twitter in terms of daily active users. In May, it became the third most popular destination on the internet.
At the time of writing, Reddit’s official status website says that all things are currently operational, and Twitter users seem to have resumed tweeting Reddit links as normal. The website seems to be loading normally again.
- Reddit 50/50: What is it and why is it so popular?
- What is r/Conspiracy, Reddit’s biggest conspiracy theory forum?
- What is Reddit Gold, and why do people give it away?
H/T Game Revolution
Christina Bonnington is a tech reporter who specializes in consumer gadgets, apps, and the trends shaping the technology industry. Her work has also appeared in Gizmodo, Wired, Refinery29, Slate, Bicycling, and Outside Magazine. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and has a background in electrical engineering.