- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back 1 Year Ago
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Today 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Today 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
Spider-Man is one of Marvel‘s biggest heroes, so Spider-Man: Homecoming was always going to spawn more movies. Titled Spider-Man: Far From Home, the upcoming sequel sees Peter Parker go on a school trip to Europe.
The second trailer arrived on May 6, taking place in the aftermath Avengers: Endgame. Featuring the returning cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, plus Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal), it includes some major Endgame spoilers.
Here’s everything we know so far about Spider-Man: Far From Home.
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The complete list of upcoming DC Comics movies
- The top 30 female superheroes of all time
- The best superhero movies of 2018, ranked
Spider-Man: Far From Home cast and crew
You’ll be glad to hear that Homecoming director Jon Watts returned for the sequel. Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers wrote the screenplay, returning after their work on the first movie, which had six (six!) credited screenwriters.
Tom Holland, Marissa Tomei, and Jacob Batalon will return as Peter Parker, Aunt May, and Peter’s BFF Ned Leeds. Zendaya reprises her role as Michelle/MJ, and the first trailer suggests that she and Peter may have a romantic subplot in this movie. We’ll also see more from Peter’s classmates Flash Thompson and Betty Brant, along with a new friend played by transgender actor Zach Barack – the first trans role in a major superhero franchise.
Comedian J.B. Smoove, of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame, joined the cast in an undisclosed role according to the Hollywood Reporter.
- The best superhero movies on Netflix
- The best superheroes for kids—and where to find them
- 12 Black Marvel characters everyone should know
- The best Marvel movie memes of 2018
Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders return as the long-running Marvel characters Nick Fury and Maria Hill. Jake Gyllenhaal will play the classic Marvel villain Mysterio. Variety also believes that Michael Keaton will reprise his role as the Vulture, although this could just be a cameo.
Spider-Man: Far From Home plot
Warning: This section includes spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War.
Obviously, the full story is still under wraps. However, we do know that the film involves Peter Parker and his classmates going to Europe, and Peter teaming up with Nick Fury, possibly to go up against Mysterio.
When Sony and Marvel first announced the new Spider-Man franchise, they indicated it would focus on Peter Parker’s teen years. Each movie takes place during a different part of the high school year. The MCU timeline can be a little hinky, but Spider-Man: Far From Home is thought to take place during Peter’s senior year.
- MCU Phase 1: The rise of the Avengers
- MCU Phase 2: All the movies you need to see
- MCU Phase 3: Why it’s the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
In the wake of Avengers: Infinity War, fans obviously had doubts about Peter Parker’s onscreen “death.” Endgame explained how Peter Parker returned, and Spidey reputedly has a central role in Marvel’s Phase 4. With some of the original Avengers expected to retire, Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel will become the new headline characters. Here’s what MCU producer Kevin Feige said in 2017:
“So much is affected by [Avengers: Endgame] that we felt what better person to hold your hand and lead you into the next incarnation of the MCU, in a grounded, realistic manner, than Peter Parker? So, coming out two months after Avengers, [that’s what] much of what the next Spider-Man film will be about.”
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
- The best order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Everything we know about the ‘Black Widow’ movie
- The best Spider-Man video games of all time, ranked
Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 trailer
The first trailer (which doesn’t include any Endgame spoilers) arrived on Jan. 15, introducing Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor