- Report: Disney yanks YouTube ad spending following child exploitation accusations Wednesday 7:56 PM
- These people are organizing Fyre Fest live-action role-play parties Wednesday 6:35 PM
- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Wednesday 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Wednesday 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Wednesday 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Wednesday 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Wednesday 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Wednesday 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Wednesday 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Wednesday 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Wednesday 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Wednesday 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Wednesday 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Wednesday 10:43 AM
‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer introduces Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio
Here’s everything you need to know about the sequel to ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming.’
Spider-Man is one of Marvel‘s biggest heroes, so Spider-Man: Homecoming was always going to spawn more sequels. Titled Spider-Man: Far From Home, the upcoming sequel sees Peter Parker go on a school trip to Europe.
The first trailer arrived on Jan. 15, teasing the first of Marvel’s post-Avengers: Endgame movies. It has the same comedic tone as Homecoming, with plenty of screentime for Peter’s teen friends—and our first look at Jake Gyllenhaal as the classic Spider-Man villain Mysterio.
— Sony Pictures (@SonyPictures) January 15, 2019
Here’s everything we know so far about Spider-Man: Far From Home.
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The complete list of upcoming DC Comics movies
- The top 30 female superheroes of all time
- The best superhero movies of 2018, ranked
Spider-Man: Far From Home cast and crew
You’ll be glad to hear that Homecoming director Jon Watts returned for the sequel. Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers wrote the screenplay, returning after their work on the first movie, which had six (six!) credited screenwriters.
Tom Holland, Marissa Tomei, and Jacob Batalon will return as Peter Parker, Aunt May, and Peter’s BFF Ned Leeds. Zendaya reprises her role as Michelle/MJ, and the first trailer suggests that she and Peter may have a romantic subplot in this movie. We’ll also see more from Peter’s classmates Flash Thompson and Betty Brant, along with a new friend played by transgender actor Zach Barack – the first trans role in a major superhero franchise.
Comedian J.B. Smoove, of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame, joined the cast in an undisclosed role according to the Hollywood Reporter.
- The best superhero movies on Netflix
- The best superheroes for kids—and where to find them
- 12 Black Marvel characters everyone should know
- The best Marvel movie memes of 2018
Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders return as the long-running Marvel characters Nick Fury and Maria Hill. Jake Gyllenhaal will play the villain, the classic Marvel character Mysterio. Variety also believes that Michael Keaton will reprise his role as the Vulture, although this could just be a cameo.
Spider-Man: Far From Home plot
Warning: This section includes spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War.
Obviously, the full story is still under wraps. However, we do know that the film involves Peter Parker and his classmates going to Europe, and Peter teaming up with Nick Fury, possibly to go up against Mysterio.
When Sony and Marvel first announced the new Spider-Man franchise, they indicated it would focus on Peter Parker’s teen years. Each movie takes place during a different part of the high school year. The MCU timeline can be a little hinky, but Spider-Man: Far From Home is thought to take place during Peter’s senior year.
- MCU Phase 1: The rise of the Avengers
- MCU Phase 2: All the movies you need to see
- MCU Phase 3: Why it’s the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
In the wake of Avengers: Infinity War, fans obviously had doubts about Peter Parker’s onscreen “death.” Avengers 4 will explain how Peter Parker (and presumably Black Panther, among others) will return, and Spidey reputedly has a central role in Marvel’s Phase 4. With some of the original Avengers expected to retire, Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel will become the new headline characters. Here’s what MCU producer Kevin Feige said in 2017:
“So much is affected by [Avengers 4] that we felt what better person to hold your hand and lead you into the next incarnation of the MCU, in a grounded, realistic manner, than Peter Parker? So, coming out two months after Untitled Avengers, [that’s what] much of what the next Spider-Man film will be about.”
There’s a lot of speculation about Iron Man’s future, and that’s obviously relevant here. If Tony Stark dies, that will have a huge impact on Peter Parker.
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
- The best order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Everything we know about the ‘Black Widow’ movie
- The best Spider-Man video games of all time, ranked
Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 trailer
The first trailer, featured above, landed Jan. 15.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.