- Actor Amanda Seales pushes back on #FreeRodneyReed movement Monday 10:58 PM
- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
Spider-Man is one of Marvel‘s biggest heroes, so Spider-Man: Homecoming was always going to spawn more movies. Titled Spider-Man: Far From Home, the upcoming sequel sees Peter Parker go on a school trip to Europe.
The second trailer arrived on May 6, taking place in the aftermath Avengers: Endgame. Featuring the returning cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming, plus Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal), it includes some major Endgame spoilers.
Here’s everything we know so far about Spider-Man: Far From Home.
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The complete list of upcoming DC Comics movies
- The top 30 female superheroes of all time
- The best superhero movies of 2018, ranked
Spider-Man: Far From Home cast and crew
You’ll be glad to hear that Homecoming director Jon Watts returned for the sequel. Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers wrote the screenplay, returning after their work on the first movie, which had six (six!) credited screenwriters.
Tom Holland, Marissa Tomei, and Jacob Batalon will return as Peter Parker, Aunt May, and Peter’s BFF Ned Leeds. Zendaya reprises her role as Michelle/MJ, and the first trailer suggests that she and Peter may have a romantic subplot in this movie. We’ll also see more from Peter’s classmates Flash Thompson and Betty Brant, along with a new friend played by transgender actor Zach Barack – the first trans role in a major superhero franchise.
Comedian J.B. Smoove, of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame, joined the cast in an undisclosed role according to the Hollywood Reporter.
- The best superhero movies on Netflix
- The best superheroes for kids—and where to find them
- 12 Black Marvel characters everyone should know
- The best Marvel movie memes of 2018
Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders return as the long-running Marvel characters Nick Fury and Maria Hill. Jake Gyllenhaal will play the classic Marvel villain Mysterio. Variety also believes that Michael Keaton will reprise his role as the Vulture, although this could just be a cameo.
Spider-Man: Far From Home plot
Warning: This section includes spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War.
Obviously, the full story is still under wraps. However, we do know that the film involves Peter Parker and his classmates going to Europe, and Peter teaming up with Nick Fury, possibly to go up against Mysterio.
When Sony and Marvel first announced the new Spider-Man franchise, they indicated it would focus on Peter Parker’s teen years. Each movie takes place during a different part of the high school year. The MCU timeline can be a little hinky, but Spider-Man: Far From Home is thought to take place during Peter’s senior year.
- MCU Phase 1: The rise of the Avengers
- MCU Phase 2: All the movies you need to see
- MCU Phase 3: Why it’s the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
In the wake of Avengers: Infinity War, fans obviously had doubts about Peter Parker’s onscreen “death.” Endgame explained how Peter Parker returned, and Spidey reputedly has a central role in Marvel’s Phase 4. With some of the original Avengers expected to retire, Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel will become the new headline characters. Here’s what MCU producer Kevin Feige said in 2017:
“So much is affected by [Avengers: Endgame] that we felt what better person to hold your hand and lead you into the next incarnation of the MCU, in a grounded, realistic manner, than Peter Parker? So, coming out two months after Avengers, [that’s what] much of what the next Spider-Man film will be about.”
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
- The best order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Everything we know about the ‘Black Widow’ movie
- The best Spider-Man video games of all time, ranked
Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 trailer
The first trailer (which doesn’t include any Endgame spoilers) arrived on Jan. 15, introducing Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor