- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
One of video games’ most iconic franchises is finally getting the adaptation treatment for the small screen.
Sony Pictures Television and Hivemind (which has produced The Expanse and The Witcher) are developing a Final Fantasy live-action TV series with Square Enix, the video game developers behind the beloved series. Although the initial press release announcing the TV series says that it will “tell an original story set in the fantastic world of Eorzea,” it will be inspired by Final Fantasy XIV, which was released in 2013.
Ben Lustig and Jake Thorton (Winter’s Knight, The Wells Initiative) have been tapped to write on the Final Fantasy series while Hivemind’s Jason F. Brown, Sean Daniel, and Dinesh Shamdasani will produce.
Little is known about the series itself (including where it might end up streaming) but Sony and Hivemind have confirmed two elements from the Final Fantasy games that will make their way into the show itself: Cid, a character who’s appeared in many of the Final Fantasy games, and the iconic chocobos.
“Final Fantasy XIV and Eorzea are the perfect gateway into FINAL FANTASY for longtime fans and newcomers alike,” Sony Pictures Television Co-President Chris Parnell said in a statement. “This show is about embracing and embodying all of the elements that have made the mythos such an endlessly captivating phenomenon, and it’s an immense honor to be bringing all of Eorzea’s iconic characters, settings, and concepts—including fan-favorites like Cid and, of course, the chocobos—to life for a television audience.”
- Yes, Tifa’s breasts are smaller in Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Here’s why
- ‘Final Fantasy’ songs make their way to Spotify, Apple Music
- The Sinking City realizes Lovecraftian horror in a new light
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.