- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
A number of far-right users of Twitter complained on Wednesday morning that they had lost hundreds or thousands of followers, accusing the social media company of banning accounts that agreed with them.
Soon enough, #TwitterLockout began trending—with those on the right claiming the company was suppressing free speech, while others suspecting the disappearing accounts may have been “bots” or “artificial followers.”
Who else lost thousands of followers overnight?— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) February 21, 2018
Whoa! Looks like twitter just did another purge, I'm down 2.2k now. #TwitterLockout— The Columbia Bugle ✝️ (@ColumbiaBugle) February 21, 2018
Why did I just lose 100 followers?— Mike (@mike_Zollo) February 21, 2018
This is a damn joke. Twitter is absolutely censoring conservative and right wing speech for no damn reason other than their disagreement with it. But, liberals can write vile comments and threaten us with no punishment.
The twitter purge is real. You may have to refollow me after last night if you’re interested in my content. Twitter blocked me from twitter ads last night and purged thousands of followers. Spread the word. #TwitterLockOut @TwitterSupport @jack @twitter— Dan Bongino (@dbongino) February 21, 2018
Twitter tried to ruin us with the #TwitterLockOut but it's making us stronger. We are following each other by the thousands and standing united. Push one of us down and the others help us back up. We are strong and united.— The Gay Republican (@GayRepublicSwag) February 21, 2018
Twitter did not respond to a request for comment from the Daily Dot regarding the sudden disappearance of some accounts.
The apparent #TwitterLockout comes just days after Special Counsel Robert Mueller detailed the elaborate ways Russian actors working with a Russian “troll farm” meddled in the 2016 election using social media.
Twitter has a well-known problem with fake accounts.
Following a January report in the New York Times about the business practices of a company called Devumi, which allegedly sold fake followers to athletes, entertainers, and others to inflate their sense of popularity on Twitter, the company said it would “continue to fight hard to tackle any malicious automation on our platform as well as false or spam accounts.”
Late last year, conservative Twitter users also went into a frenzy after the company updated its terms of service and suspended accounts in what became known as the “Twitter purge.”
Accounts that were suspended during the “purge” included white nationalists and other accounts that spread hateful messages, such as Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, a far-right group that President Donald Trump retweeted several anti-Muslim videos from.
The Daily Dot has reported on the vast number of “egg” or suspected “artificial followers” that make up a large number of the president’s Twitter following. It appears, however, that Trump’s account was not affected by Wednesday’s #TwitterLockout. In fact, his following appears to have grown.
While conservatives lamented the loss of followers, other Twitter users poked fun at their extreme reaction.
The most hilarious thing about people shrieking about Twitter's bot purge is that they are equating losing fake followers with...having their own speech suppressed? Or something? It's not very well thought out. #twitterlockout— Jeff B. (@EsotericCD) February 21, 2018
My thoughts and prayers go out to the 2000 Twitter followers Deplorable Doris lost last night in the #TwitterLockOut— Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) February 21, 2018
Update 1:15pm CT, Feb. 12: A Twitter spokesperson told the Daily Dot that it enforces its rules “without political bias.”
“As part of our ongoing work in safety, we identify suspicious account behaviors that indicate automated activity or violations of our policies around having multiple accounts, or abuse,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “We also take action on any accounts we find that violate our terms of service, including asking account owners to confirm a phone number so we can confirm a human is behind it.”
The spokesperson said the efforts were part of a process to make “Twitter safer and healthier for everyone.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).