- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
- It’s too late to book a room for the Area 51 raid Tuesday 12:28 PM
The heckling comes after his tweet announcing a possible 2020 run was met with ire online.
Schultz, who said he was considering a presidential bid as a “centrist independent,” was heckled during a book tour appearance in New York City on Monday.
The former Starbucks head was being interviewed by New York Times journalist Andrew Ross Sorkin, according to Bloomberg, when he was interrupted by someone.
“I am seriously considering running for president as a centrist independent,” he said, echoing his ratioed tweet from Sunday. “I wanted to clarify the word ‘independent’ which I view merely as a designation on the ballot–”
“Don’t help elect Trump you egotistical billionaire asshole!” someone shouted, as video of the incident shows.
Heckler yells at Howard Schultz: “Don’t help elect Trump, you egotistical billionaire asshole!” pic.twitter.com/Fmlj7ng7HD— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) January 29, 2019
Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz heckled during book tour after teasing independent run for president.— ABC News (@ABC) January 29, 2019
"Go back to Davos with the other billionaire elite who think they know how to run the world.” https://t.co/BgBcDunwPP pic.twitter.com/0K0cJqsEri
If the former Starbucks CEO does run in 2020 it is exceedingly unlikely that he would win the presidency. However, as the heckler obviously fears, some have speculated that his candidacy could draw votes away from a Democratic candidate who runs against President Donald Trump.
2020 Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro also said a possible run from Schultz as an independent would be Trump’s “best hope of getting re-elected” according to CNN.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).