- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Pxhere (Public Domain)
Video of a smoldering Apple MacBook Pro has gone viral after the owner claims the laptop randomly burst into flames.
The owner of the laptop, a DJ known as White Panda, detailed the incident on Apple’s subreddit, r/apple. The redditor claims the device began emitting smoke and eventually exploded on Wednesday during what he described as “normal use.”
“It was on my lap, plugged in, and suddenly started to spew smoke out both sides,” White Panda detailed. “I quickly placed it on the floor where it popped, the smoke increased, and it caught fire.”
A video posted to Twitter moments after the incident unfolded shows both the destroyed laptop and the damage it caused.
My MacBook Pro exploded today during normal use. No injuries, luckily. Some damage to the house. Could have been worse - good thing I wasn’t on a plane.— White Panda (@whitepanda) May 29, 2019
Very curious to see how @Apple responds.@MacRumors @TechCrunch @9to5mac pic.twitter.com/pjmpv5Mx9b
“Toxic smelling smoke filled my house triggering smoke and CO alarms,” the DJ added. “No one was injured, thankfully, but there was some damage to my home. The situation could have been much worse–imagine if I had been on a plane.”
After allowing it to cool down for an hour, White Panda said he took the device to a nearby Apple store.
“They understood the severity of the situation but said nothing could be done until it spent 24 hours in a fire-proof safe and that they’d call me with a plan/update,” White Panda noted.
After failing to receive a response two days later, White Panda said he contacted Apple again and was told that his case had been “escalated.”
“They did not call. I reached out today and was told it had been ‘escalated’ and I should hear something within FIVE days,” White Panda wrote. “I produce music for a living–FIVE days without my computer is unacceptable.”
White Panda also tweeted that the laptop had only ever received two repairs from Apple for the display and trackpad.
The Daily Dot has reached out to Apple.
- Report: Apple limiting apps that help users control their screen time
- YouTuber claims new MacBook is severely throttled due to cooling problems (updated)
- Everything you need to know about how to use Apple TV
- Man accidentally swallows AirPod—and hears it working in his stomach
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.