- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
Ben Hsu reportedly fell asleep wearing his AirPods and when he woke up, he couldn’t find one of them. He used an iPhone-tracking feature to search for it, and says he could soon hear the beep from his missing AirPod.
“I checked under my blanket and looked around but couldn’t find it – then I realised the sound was coming from my stomach,” he told the Daily Mail.
He then went to the hospital where the doctors gave him a laxative to help him pass the pod. But they apparently did warn him that if it didn’t pass, it would have to be surgically removed.
Hsu ended up finding it in his poop the next day when he was at a railway station. But from his gleeful photos shared by the Daily Mail, it appears he felt it was worth it.
Hsu said the battery was at 41% when he recovered the pod, and he called the Apple product “magical.” (Perhaps it’s no coincidence that Apple advertised the AirPods as “more magical than ever.”)
A doctor in the emergency room reportedly said Hsu’s risks of being exposed to any kind of harm was “much lower” because AirPods have a plastic shell around them that protected him better than a regular lithium-ion battery.
Swallowing electronic gadgets and/or batteries is not entirely a new phenomenon, and it’s apparently common enough for there to be a National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline. The risks of such incidents are reportedly increasing as batteries and technological devices are becoming more miniature. What’s probably going to be a record-breaker, though, is Hsu’s willingness to try on the AirPods, which range from $159-$199, after digging through his poop to find it. That takes dedication.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque