- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
The legendaries are literally partly made of a sword and a shield. Come on.
It’s the day Pokémon fans have been waiting for. A Nintendo Direct presentation revealing all-new details about the upcoming Pokémon Sword & Shield games happened earlier this morning.
And while the Switch RPGs definitely stirred up some excitement among fans, they stirred up something a little bit spicier as well. After all, you can’t have new games without also having new memes.
Alright, let’s back it up a bit.
One of the biggest (lol) meme targets was the introduction of a new battle feature called Dynamax. Basically, you can now make your Pokémon really, really big. Kind of like how at the end of almost every Power Rangers battle, the monsters would suddenly get gigantic for no discernible reason.
Dynamax Waillord pic.twitter.com/PpHSnvxtdU— DUDE (@ThatSrb2DUDE) June 5, 2019
And of course, there’s the introduction of new Pokémon and characters to take into consideration. Not only are we getting five new buddies to catch and train, but the game is also introducing new trainers and characters, including Professor Magnolia of the Galar region and her granddaughter-slash-assistant, trainer Sonia.
People already really love that little sheep.
But let’s not forget the legendary Pokémon. Historically, we’ve got some awesome legendaries like Mewtwo and Giratina and Lugia. But this time around, the folks at Nintendo are going really, really literal with the “Sword and Shield” of it all, introducing legendary Pokémon Zaclan and Zamazenta, who, um, have an actual sword (Zaclan) and shield (Zamazenta) in their mouths.
But on the bright side, that gives the internet the space to come up with even more amazing Pokémon memes in the memetime.
- Pokémon Sword and Shield memes have fans dying for their favorite starters
- Here are all the best Pokémon Sleep memes from a very tired internet
- Here’s everything we know about Pokémon Sword and Shield
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.