- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
It’s the day Pokémon fans have been waiting for. A Nintendo Direct presentation revealing all-new details about the upcoming Pokémon Sword & Shield games happened earlier this morning.
And while the Switch RPGs definitely stirred up some excitement among fans, they stirred up something a little bit spicier as well. After all, you can’t have new games without also having new memes.
Alright, let’s back it up a bit.
One of the biggest (lol) meme targets was the introduction of a new battle feature called Dynamax. Basically, you can now make your Pokémon really, really big. Kind of like how at the end of almost every Power Rangers battle, the monsters would suddenly get gigantic for no discernible reason.
Dynamax Waillord pic.twitter.com/PpHSnvxtdU— DUDE (@ThatSrb2DUDE) June 5, 2019
And of course, there’s the introduction of new Pokémon and characters to take into consideration. Not only are we getting five new buddies to catch and train, but the game is also introducing new trainers and characters, including Professor Magnolia of the Galar region and her granddaughter-slash-assistant, trainer Sonia.
People already really love that little sheep.
But let’s not forget the legendary Pokémon. Historically, we’ve got some awesome legendaries like Mewtwo and Giratina and Lugia. But this time around, the folks at Nintendo are going really, really literal with the “Sword and Shield” of it all, introducing legendary Pokémon Zaclan and Zamazenta, who, um, have an actual sword (Zaclan) and shield (Zamazenta) in their mouths.
But on the bright side, that gives the internet the space to come up with even more amazing Pokémon memes in the memetime.
- Pokémon Sword and Shield memes have fans dying for their favorite starters
- Here are all the best Pokémon Sleep memes from a very tired internet
- Here’s everything we know about Pokémon Sword and Shield
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.