- You can now perform Marvel plays with your school theater group 4 Months Ago
- Trans/Sex: Strap-ons for trans women, inclusive porn games, and online dating 4 Months Ago
- Why UFC 239 may be the PPV event of the year Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
Pokémon Sword and Shield memes have fans dying for their favorite starters
Sobble or Scorbunny?
Pokémon Sword and Shield, the new core Pokémon games, have just been announced, and fans are already filled with joy for a new generation of monsters to catch. Most notably, Pokémon fans are finally getting that fully 3D home console Pokémon experience, plus a trio of delightfully cute starter Pokémon. Like anything cute and cuddly, the internet glommed onto Pokémon Sword and Shield like Jigglypuff to a sharpie.
After Pokemon Direct official reaction pictures pic.twitter.com/rx55TwLQei
— Lulu🌈🍔⚡💪 (@luulubuu) February 27, 2019
First, there was the obvious comparison to one of our favorite Pokémon memes of yesteryear, “Surprised Pikachu.”
— MAX Apex (@Maximoony) February 27, 2019
There were plenty of thoughts and aspirations for how Grookey, Sobble, and Scorbunny will evolve. Even though most starter Pokémon begin as adorable little snugglebugs, they more often than not evolve into total badasses by their third form.
— Poke Trainer Joshie (@toomanydreams93) February 27, 2019
Scorbunny and Sobble were clearly fan favorites (poor Grookey), and already people are warring over who is the cuter Pokémon.
— YingYang48 (@YingYang48) February 27, 2019
Summer Wars fans represent.
cant wait for scorbunny to evolve into pic.twitter.com/KdpZE5qbYZ
— Ruff U・ᴥ・U (@Ruff_Sketches) February 27, 2019
— Ｔｒｕｅ-ＪｅK (@true_jek_art) February 27, 2019
— O'Dell Harmon Jr. (@ODellHarmonJr) February 27, 2019
— Spielenator (@Spielenator) February 27, 2019
— -NEON- (@NE_0_N) February 27, 2019
— ｔｈｅ ｊｅｓｔｅｒ (@jesterdesu) February 27, 2019
— Caroline Director (@CarolineDirectr) February 27, 2019
— Escapist Magazine (@EscapistMag) February 27, 2019
Sobble’s soft look was compared to Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper duet performance from the Oscars. We’ll let you judge Sobble’s level of bedroom eyes.
🎶Tell me Sobble girl—🎶 pic.twitter.com/FjaafGiqr8
— Adam Moussa (@adamjmoussa) February 27, 2019
Sobble is the Pokemon of the modern age. Pure anxiety about everything. pic.twitter.com/dpfICAPau0
— M.H. Williams (@AutomaticZen) February 27, 2019
Sobble during the NBA playoffs pic.twitter.com/Kl1mFb8Bnz
— SB Nation (@SBNation) February 27, 2019
Since Pokémon Sword and Shield have a particularly European look to them, what with the Big Ben-looking clocktower and gentle countryside, it’s only fair that plenty of Brexit jokes were made. Hopefully, a Pokémon-based economy can stand on its own.
— Major Joms (@_Carrmaz) February 27, 2019
bold move by nintendo to make the new pokemon game take place in england during the brexit debate pic.twitter.com/82VFKCtSFh
— Jake (@jacobkleinman) February 27, 2019
I’m particularly in love with this one that will evoke plenty of nightmares.
sorry but I had to voice these hilarious Pokemon tweets 😩
tweets by the respective handles in the video, go follow them for being funny!! pic.twitter.com/RbAJBLOznT
— ♥ Elsie Lovelock ♥ (@ElsieLovelock) February 27, 2019
You’ve got the cast of Edgar Wright’s Hot Fuzz posing a serious challenge to new Pokémon trainers.
— Harrison Senpai (@HarrisonSenpai_) February 27, 2019
— Your Friendly Neighborhood Swamp Thing (@PhiloFishy) February 27, 2019
wow they leaked the third game for pokemon sword and shield already?? pic.twitter.com/FK6Vfk4k5i
— ☆ gutter ☆ (@guttersvoice) February 27, 2019
Pokémon Sword and Shield will be released in late 2019.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.