- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
At a press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday, the Pokémon Company announced some new Pokémon-themed mobile apps.
Perhaps the strangest of the announcements was Pokémon Sleep: an app that “aims to turn sleeping into entertainment by having a player’s time spent sleeping, and the time they wake up, affect the gameplay.”
⬇️ Pokémon GO Plus + Details ⬇️— Ghost-type Pokémon (@Pokemon) May 29, 2019
☀️ Use it as a Pokémon GO Plus during the day.
🌙 Put it next to your pillow at night to track your time sleeping.
🎮 It sends this sleep information to your smartphone via Bluetooth. #PokemonGOPlusPlus
Concerns about dystopian surveillance states aside, it’s a peculiar take on a brand that has made its most recent waves by encouraging people to get out of the house rather than curl up in bed.
The game works as a sleep tracker, monitoring your sleep cycle and encouraging you to get some dang rest. It works in tandem with Pokémon Go and the Pokémon Go Plus + tracker.
As you can imagine, the internet has wasted no time in riffing on the whole idea.
There’s a Pokémon Sleep meme for those who enjoy putting off addressing their depression with some good old fashioned shut-eye.
*Pokemon sleep is announced*— Benjamin Stubbings (@caboose842) May 29, 2019
People with depression: pic.twitter.com/PVTR3sbmtM
These folks raise a valid question: Which Pokémon would you sleep in bed with?
@ all Poketubers I got an idea for you.— Mamodxx⚡ (@Mamodxx) May 29, 2019
Top 5 Pokemon I Can't Wait To Sleep With pic.twitter.com/Dq8vIk5sjj
Of course, it’s not Pokémon if it’s not at least a little cute.
The Pokemon Sleep I want pic.twitter.com/X7wplv3sSq— Bulbasaur Propaganda (@BulbaGanda) May 29, 2019
Some people are just never satisfied with only one game.
alright, it ate at me all day how low-effort that original Pokemon Nap image was because i was trying to be the first one to get the joke out, so i did it more properly this time. this is just for my own satisfaction really lmao pic.twitter.com/f0v4dFql4N— scythes & wifes 2: girls just wanna have gun (@JillKatze) May 29, 2019
Then there’s all the rest.
Pokemon Go— MacIntyre Rath (@MacIntyreRath) May 29, 2019
Pokemon Quit Smoking
Pokemon Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Pokemon Free and Accessible Birth Control
Pokemon Socialized Healthcare
Pokemon CO2 Emission Cap
this is the Pokemon Sleep experience pic.twitter.com/mFTyhQGdyd— Lenox (@Lenoxmst) May 29, 2019
Mom I'm going to sleep early to play some pokemon sleep pic.twitter.com/eYHqTl6mpd— Wii shop channel (@Wiishopchannel1) May 29, 2019
Boring the audience to sleep while announcing a new sleep product is some galaxy brain marketing pic.twitter.com/FDPGLp1ZR1— André Segers (@AndreSegers) May 29, 2019
When the squad gets together to play Pokemon Sleep 😍 pic.twitter.com/AsVVmXGv5k— The Bryan Atkinson (@Wow_no_inv) May 29, 2019
Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time for my scheduled mid-workday nap. Pokémon Sleep is coming in 2020, so wake me up then.
- Obama’s bold stance on Pokémon is breaking people’s hearts
- ‘Detective Pikachu’ is the first honestly good video game movie
- Detective Pikachu’s dancing goes with everything
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.