- Was Bloomberg owned harder on the debate stage or by Twitter? Today 8:54 AM
- Make ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ your desert island game Today 8:51 AM
- Everyone’s trying to dance like Jennifer Lopez on TikTok Today 8:27 AM
- Why the coronavirus bioweapon theory persists Today 7:57 AM
- You won’t see deleted scenes on the ‘Rise of Skywalker’ home release Today 7:47 AM
- The return of ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ throws you right back into the fight Today 7:00 AM
- Am I overreacting to a Facebook message from a dating app match? Today 6:00 AM
- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
At a press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday, the Pokémon Company announced some new Pokémon-themed mobile apps.
Perhaps the strangest of the announcements was Pokémon Sleep: an app that “aims to turn sleeping into entertainment by having a player’s time spent sleeping, and the time they wake up, affect the gameplay.”
⬇️ Pokémon GO Plus + Details ⬇️— Pokémon (@Pokemon) May 29, 2019
☀️ Use it as a Pokémon GO Plus during the day.
🌙 Put it next to your pillow at night to track your time sleeping.
🎮 It sends this sleep information to your smartphone via Bluetooth. #PokemonGOPlusPlus
Concerns about dystopian surveillance states aside, it’s a peculiar take on a brand that has made its most recent waves by encouraging people to get out of the house rather than curl up in bed.
The game works as a sleep tracker, monitoring your sleep cycle and encouraging you to get some dang rest. It works in tandem with Pokémon Go and the Pokémon Go Plus + tracker.
As you can imagine, the internet has wasted no time in riffing on the whole idea.
There’s a Pokémon Sleep meme for those who enjoy putting off addressing their depression with some good old fashioned shut-eye.
*Pokemon sleep is announced*— Benjamin Stubbings (@caboose842) May 29, 2019
People with depression: pic.twitter.com/PVTR3sbmtM
These folks raise a valid question: Which Pokémon would you sleep in bed with?
@ all Poketubers I got an idea for you.— Mamodxx⚡ (@Mamodxx) May 29, 2019
Top 5 Pokemon I Can't Wait To Sleep With pic.twitter.com/Dq8vIk5sjj
Of course, it’s not Pokémon if it’s not at least a little cute.
The Pokemon Sleep I want pic.twitter.com/X7wplv3sSq— Bulbasaur Propaganda (@BulbaGanda) May 29, 2019
Some people are just never satisfied with only one game.
alright, it ate at me all day how low-effort that original Pokemon Nap image was because i was trying to be the first one to get the joke out, so i did it more properly this time. this is just for my own satisfaction really lmao pic.twitter.com/f0v4dFql4N— scythes & wifes 2: girls just wanna have gun (@JillKatze) May 29, 2019
Then there’s all the rest.
Pokemon Go— MacIntyre Rath (@MacIntyreRath) May 29, 2019
Pokemon Quit Smoking
Pokemon Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Pokemon Free and Accessible Birth Control
Pokemon Socialized Healthcare
Pokemon CO2 Emission Cap
this is the Pokemon Sleep experience pic.twitter.com/mFTyhQGdyd— Lenox (@Lenoxmst) May 29, 2019
Mom I'm going to sleep early to play some pokemon sleep pic.twitter.com/eYHqTl6mpd— Wii shop channel (@Wiishopchannel1) May 29, 2019
Boring the audience to sleep while announcing a new sleep product is some galaxy brain marketing pic.twitter.com/FDPGLp1ZR1— André Segers (@AndreSegers) May 29, 2019
When the squad gets together to play Pokemon Sleep 😍 pic.twitter.com/AsVVmXGv5k— Bryans for Bernie (@Wow_no_inv) May 29, 2019
Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time for my scheduled mid-workday nap. Pokémon Sleep is coming in 2020, so wake me up then.
- Obama’s bold stance on Pokémon is breaking people’s hearts
- ‘Detective Pikachu’ is the first honestly good video game movie
- Detective Pikachu’s dancing goes with everything
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.