- Actor Amanda Seales pushes back on #FreeRodneyReed movement Monday 10:58 PM
- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
With memes essentially established as millennials’ main form of communication, it was only about time they took over as 2018’s favorite Halloween costumes.
This year, the moth and lamp couple costume was a big hit (because, obviously). The moth and lamp memes originated in late September after a redditor posted a photo of a moth outside his window. It soon spiraled into an internet-wide joke about moths being attracted to lamps and inspired these couple costumes. Pretty good for a generation known too well for ghosting and one-sided romance.
So me and hubby were a moth and lamp last night pic.twitter.com/b9oBHQYRbA— Big titty moth gf (@trvshl0rd420) October 28, 2018
Comedian Larry Owens dressed up as child Cardi B (and kinda nailed it). The costume was a spinoff of Cardi B’s photo that went viral earlier in the summer, with the caption, “My momma said y’all have to play with me,” that led to a series of “My momma said” memes. The Daily Dot has reached out to Owens for comment.
Some went for their version of A Star is Born, which Yahoo has named costume of the year. The movie, starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, pulled in $250 million at the box office this weekend, and has inspired a series of memes since the trailer was released.
why_did_we_do_that.mp3 pic.twitter.com/2dGLmVHLkk— Ayo Edebiri (@ayoedebiri) October 28, 2018
This couple went the extra mile and used a dog:
We couldn’t decide on a Halloween costume for Biscuit so we just made him the dog from A Star is Born. pic.twitter.com/68Mk7MHn4B— Max Miller (@RuinMyWeek) October 25, 2018
And then there’s Gritty, the mascot of the Philadelphia Flyers, that went viral a month ago. Last Tuesday, the Flyers’ Twitter account made a call out to people who dressed up as Gritty, and they got all kinds of responses:
just a normal commute! pic.twitter.com/ca1aoGRk5C— maya kosoff (@mekosoff) October 27, 2018
This is Gritty Nick, and his wife Kate. Kate has Itty Bitty Gritty on board. pic.twitter.com/l2TIn4DMCk— Bill Matz (@BILLadelphia1) October 23, 2018
And you can’t go wrong with Gritty pups:
This is Stanley. He’s a Grih-Tzu. pic.twitter.com/LLSSvlsFg2— Chip Chantry (@ChipChantry) October 25, 2018
🧡 U BOO pic.twitter.com/aNOHAKknoi— Iggy Smalls (@NoBiggyItsIggy) October 24, 2018
What a time to be alive.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque