- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Friday 8:34 AM
Obviously, there are Gritty costumes.
With memes essentially established as millennials’ main form of communication, it was only about time they took over as 2018’s favorite Halloween costumes.
This year, the moth and lamp couple costume was a big hit (because, obviously). The moth and lamp memes originated in late September after a redditor posted a photo of a moth outside his window. It soon spiraled into an internet-wide joke about moths being attracted to lamps and inspired these couple costumes. Pretty good for a generation known too well for ghosting and one-sided romance.
So me and hubby were a moth and lamp last night pic.twitter.com/b9oBHQYRbA
— Big titty moth gf (@trvshl0rd420) October 28, 2018
Happy Hallowmeme from Moth and Lamp. 🦋💡☠️ pic.twitter.com/4h7LN5MG9Z
— ˗ˏˋMeghanKathleenˊˎ˗ (@meghankathleen) October 28, 2018
Comedian Larry Owens dressed up as child Cardi B (and kinda nailed it). The costume was a spinoff of Cardi B’s photo that went viral earlier in the summer, with the caption, “My momma said y’all have to play with me,” that led to a series of “My momma said” memes. The Daily Dot has reached out to Owens for comment.
Some went for their version of A Star is Born, which Yahoo has named costume of the year. The movie, starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, pulled in $250 million at the box office this weekend, and has inspired a series of memes since the trailer was released.
— Ayo Edebiri (@ayoedebiri) October 28, 2018
This couple went the extra mile and used a dog:
We couldn’t decide on a Halloween costume for Biscuit so we just made him the dog from A Star is Born. pic.twitter.com/68Mk7MHn4B
— Max Miller (@RuinMyWeek) October 25, 2018
And then there’s Gritty, the mascot of the Philadelphia Flyers, that went viral a month ago. Last Tuesday, the Flyers’ Twitter account made a call out to people who dressed up as Gritty, and they got all kinds of responses:
just a normal commute! pic.twitter.com/ca1aoGRk5C
— maya kosoff (@mekosoff) October 27, 2018
This is Gritty Nick, and his wife Kate. Kate has Itty Bitty Gritty on board. pic.twitter.com/l2TIn4DMCk
— Bill Matz (@BILLadelphia1) October 23, 2018
Gritty! 🧡🖤 pic.twitter.com/iM2I8KwIK1
— Samantha Salvisburg (@samsalvisburg) October 25, 2018
— ashley b (@beamster101) October 23, 2018
And you can’t go wrong with Gritty pups:
This is Stanley. He’s a Grih-Tzu. pic.twitter.com/LLSSvlsFg2
— Chip Chantry (@ChipChantry) October 25, 2018
🧡 U BOO pic.twitter.com/aNOHAKknoi
— Iggy Smalls (@NoBiggyItsIggy) October 24, 2018
— tarynfranchetti (@beejolie) October 24, 2018
What a time to be alive.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque