- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
- New York Times endorses Klobarren for president Monday 8:45 AM
- 6 gift cards that make for the most thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift ideas Monday 8:16 AM
ICYMI, A Star is Born is a musical romantic drama based on the original 1937 classic, which birthed two additional remakes after that, starring Judy Garland, and then Barbra Streisand. Gaga portrays struggling artist Ally who meets and subsequently falls in love with a grizzled alt-rock singer named Jackson Maine, played by Bradley Cooper (who directed the film).
As is usually the case with entertainment fans, however, people were making memes of the movie long before it ever released on the big screen. Ahead of the movie’s debut, folks were taking parts of the trailer and making some hilarious jokes out of a few scenes, such as Gaga’s out of context “ahhhhahhhhh” wailing on the song “Shallow,” which we only had a taste of during the trailer, as well as a cute moment between Jackson and Ally.
The pair have just arrived at Ally’s home in the wee hours of the morning, and Ally is getting ready to head inside and rest, then get ready for a shift at work. Maine, clearly already enamored with her at that point, stops Ally with a quick “Hey!” before she can run inside, as he just doesn’t want her to go. She turns around, says “What?” and he delivers a smooth line: “I just wanted to take another look at you.”
Ally’s response is to smile, with a blend of sheepishness, shyness, and knowing. She traces the outline of her profile with her finger as Maine extols the virtues of her nose (something he’s really excited about). It’s a cute scene, for sure, made into a fun meme by the geniuses of social media.
Now that the movie’s finally out, people are returning to the meme with renewed vigor, and some are even more hilarious ones than the first time around. Now we’ve got some extra pop culture references being thrown around for good measure, too.
Me in this scene pic.twitter.com/M1ZhmhNJKc— Justin FRIGHTion (@JustinCentric) October 8, 2018
Teacher: ok put ur notes away time for the test— robbie (@RobsBurgers) October 13, 2018
Me: I just wanted to take another look at you
Get in loser I just wanted to take another look at you pic.twitter.com/jyHK9BAggd— Cardi Zombie (@muddymudskipper) October 15, 2018
I give Star Is Born five "I just wanted to take another look at you"s out of five pic.twitter.com/qAz1evFaJ6— Chris Baio (@OIAB) October 5, 2018
If these don’t make you want to see A Star is Born, we don’t know what will.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.