- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
The new Philadelphia Flyers mascot ‘Gritty’ is a terrifying monstrosity
What is it?
If today’s maelstrom of bad news didn’t scare you enough already, get ready for a shaggy hellbeast known as “Gritty.” Gritty is the new mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers, which is supposedly a hockey team. But with a mascot like this, it seems more like a strange cult.
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) September 24, 2018
Gritty debuted on Monday, and to top things off, he even comes with his own backstory full of childhood trauma, a secret hideaway beneath the Wells Fargo Center, and a strange craving for processed meat. Via the Flyers:
His father was a “bully,” so naturally he has some of those tendencies – talented but feisty, a fierce competitor, known for his agility given his size. He’s loyal but mischievous; the ultimate Flyers fan who loves the orange and black, but is unwelcoming to anyone who opposes his team. Legend has it he earned the name “Gritty” for possessing an attitude so similar to the team he follows.
He claims that he’s been around for a lot longer than we know it, and recent construction at the Wells Fargo Center disturbed his secret hideout forcing him to show his face publicly for the first time. He has some oddities that are both humorous and strange. A number of times he’s been caught eating snow straight from the Zamboni machine, and unbeknown to most, his love of hot dogs has been inflating the Flyers Dollar Dog Night consumption totals for years.
That being said, there’s no denying that he’s one of our own.
I’m sorry, are you trying to create a new horror icon? That is literally a b-plot from Five Nights at Freddy’s.
— Gritty (@GrittyNHL) September 24, 2018
Never one to hold back, the internet promptly exploded with reactions to the Grimace-like predator.
Me: what a lovely crisp morning to ease into the fall with a clear head.
News cycle: pic.twitter.com/aRHOqv2chC
— Boo Radley Beal (@clintonyates) September 24, 2018
They call him Gritty cuz you don’t wanna know the things he’ll do to get some meth https://t.co/wZ7OWDfoXo
— Tom Fornelli (@TomFornelli) September 24, 2018
Gritty even has his own personal Twitter account, for when you need that jolt of energy that accidentally scrolling past his unblinking eyes will provide.
I guess Gritty is an improvement over the Flyers' last mascot, which was a guy named Nick in carpenter jeans and a Blue Lives Matter hoodie
— Michael Baumann (@MJ_Baumann) September 24, 2018
"HERE’S GRITTY!" pic.twitter.com/DFIIn1Qlli
— Matt Mullin (@matt_mullin) September 24, 2018
Gritty is the answer to the age-old question ‘would Chewbacca gain weight on meth?’ pic.twitter.com/BSuBFlsXgN
— goran (@senssensei) September 24, 2018
If you’re like me, you can’t help but notice the deluge of meth jokes. Poor Gritty. I look forward to him getting bloody revenge on all the naysayers in “Gritty Part 9: The Final Chapter.”
Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird. pic.twitter.com/wLmGBa0Oyh
— Gritty (@GrittyNHL) September 24, 2018
See? Told you. Cold-blooded killer.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.