- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
The Witcher is one of the first Netflix shows in quite some time to hold our collective attention for more than what feels like a single weekend and it’s easy to see why. Geralt, the freelance monster hunter portrayed by Henry Cavill, is giving off big Mandalorian Dad Energy. “Toss a Coin to Your Witcher” is an instant earworm. And Geralt is seemingly a man of few words—and the ones he does use are entirely relatable.
Fans who’ve already made their way through all of The Witcher’s eight episodes have noticed that Geralt really likes saying fuck.
It’s significant enough that even one of Netflix’s Twitter accounts quoted the wise words of Geralt.
“Fuck” - Geralt of Rivia— NX (@NXOnNetflix) December 28, 2019
But it’s a certain type of “fuck.” It’s not a word he throws around passionately or in a fit of rage; it’s not even all that sexy. (Unless you consider Cavill doing just about anything in The Witcher to be sexy, which, fair.)
It’s a word he throws around with a tired sigh, something he says as he’s facing at least half a dozen men ready to kill him. He utters it when he’s annoyed, when he’s about to face a monster, and when he’s dealing with an injury. He even says it when he doesn’t know what else to say.
Geralt: And the winner for Best VFX is...FUCK...Cats. https://t.co/onEdLcozfd— Walt (@UberKryptonian) January 2, 2020
Every time Geralt says “fuck,” an angel gets its wings— ThatNerdViolet 🏕 (@thatnerdviolet) December 29, 2019
I did not realize how much of The Witcher would be Geralt muttering "moon's haunted" before rushing out a door with a gun to see the moon already perched on a castle parapet staring him down and then he goes "fuck"— DePiglio Stan ⏩ #PAXSouth (@Stringerplz) January 2, 2020
It's a perfect show
My favourite scenes in the Witcher are the ones where Geralt pauses and then quietly says "fuck."— sa sa le le (@sherribon) January 2, 2020
Geralt: "fuck", "hm"— Dany of Rivia ʬ⁸⁴ (@yeneralts) December 27, 2019
But if he says anything more often than fuck, it’s “hmm,” a sort of acknowledgment he uses in the same vein as the word “fuck.” But mix in some more tender moments with his horse Roach, and “hmm” is all-encompassing. It’s not even a word, but viewers know exactly what he means by it. And it’s working on them too.
Wizard: Witcher, you must kill the murderous Demon!— Owen J (@aceofsquares) December 28, 2019
Demon: I only murder to protect my children!
Wizard: But his children transform into ZOMBIES
Demon: But those zombies are innocent POTATO FARMERS
Wizards: But those potatoes are POISONOUS
Someone: *insults the witcher*— 🎉 Moami 🎊 (@Moamimoami) January 2, 2020
Jaskier: *strums lute* what the fuck did you just fucking say about him, you little bitch? I'll have you know that he graduated top of his class in th
Geralt: “Hmm”— Markia Jenai (@Mjenai_art) January 1, 2020
Me: wow this acting! I just..... pic.twitter.com/KlER76P3bK
Nobody:— ANI (@o_oyime) December 30, 2019
Geralt of rivia: hmm https://t.co/yjKRFGlvX5
If you’re not caught up on The Witcher (or even if you are), you can watch every single “fuck” and “hmmm” in one glorious compilation.
Geralt'tan "Fuck" ve "Hmm" 💯 pic.twitter.com/1EKuxYy8pT— Çizgi Kafe (@cizgikafe) December 28, 2019
If you want even more “fucks” and “hmms” from your Witcher, you’re in luck. Netflix already renewed the show for a second season.
- ‘Toss a Coin to Your Witcher’ song gets an even catchier remix
- ‘The Witcher 3’ players spike after release of the Netflix series
- ‘Toss a Coin to Your Witcher’ is a low-key banger
- Review: Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’ is a dull, confusing disappointment
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.