- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in May 2019 4 Weeks Ago
- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is finally coming to Spotify, Apple Music Wednesday 8:48 PM
- Ubisoft is offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for free to support Notre Dame Wednesday 8:25 PM
- Are teens really eating foods with the ‘shells on’ for a new viral challenge? Wednesday 6:39 PM
- The new Samsung Galaxy Fold already seems to be falling apart Wednesday 4:17 PM
- Think the ‘Game of Thrones’ spirals are all connected? Think again Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Rudy Giuliani retweets prominent QAnon supporter Wednesday 2:03 PM
- India bans TikTok over concerns of child endangerment Wednesday 2:00 PM
- JJ Abrams says there’s more to Rey’s origin story Wednesday 1:16 PM
- Lisa Ann says Equinox trainer looked up her number and sent her a creepy text Wednesday 1:01 PM
- 8 essentials every grad needs to succeed as an adult Wednesday 1:00 PM
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby Wednesday 12:54 PM
- People are more concerned with this woman’s age than her being a school shooting threat Wednesday 12:14 PM
- Why are conservatives so obsessed with cargo shorts? Wednesday 11:46 AM
- How to transfer your Nintendo Switch save data Wednesday 11:45 AM
Can ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ recover from its disastrous drama?
Writer/director James Gunn is now onboard, but the movie has been pushed back.
With the original Avengers team expected to bow out after Avengers: Endgame, Guardians of the Galaxy is one of Marvel‘s key franchises for Phase 4. Yes, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is still happening, with director/co-writer James Gunn back onboard.
The bad news is, this film may not come out until 2022. Here’s everything you need to know about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 director
Vol. 3‘s main claim to fame is the drama surrounding Gunn’s dismissal and subsequent rehiring. He was fired in July 2018 after some old (but very offensive) jokes resurfaced on Twitter. This decision was highly controversial because the jokes only resurfaced thanks to an astroturfing campaign from alt-right trolls, who wanted Gunn fired due to his anti-Trump views. The Guardians cast even published an open letter asking him to be rehired, but for almost a year, it looked like Vol. 3 would either go ahead with a new director or wouldn’t go ahead at all. Then in March 2019, Disney announced that Gunn was back on to direct. In fact, the studio had never even begun a real search for a new director, and Disney reputedly rehired Gunn behind the scenes long before the announcement was made.
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
- The best order to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- 12 Black Marvel characters everyone should know
That’s a lot of drama for a film that doesn’t even exist yet. However, since Gunn had already drafted a script before he was fired, it will probably be smoother sailing from now on.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 cast
Chris Pratt is expected to return as Star-Lord, but the rest of the cast may depend on what happens in Avengers: Endgame. Infinity War ended with half the cast dissolving into dust, and while we don’t expect all those deaths to be permanent, some may stay that way. In particular, Gamora. Zoe Saldana has other commitments with the four upcoming Avatar sequels and may not be available to film a lead role in another franchise.
Also, since the Guardians team has a revolving cast of characters in the comics, it’s perfectly possible they’ll replace characters like Drax and Rocket Raccoon with new arrivals. No new casting announcements have been made, however.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 music
Music played a major role in the first two Guardians movies, featuring a soundtrack playlist of classic pop hits from the 1970s and 80s. If Star-Lord spends any time on Earth in Avengers: Endgame (or even spends much time around present-day humans), will that affect his music taste? Will the Guardians franchise finally receive an injection of up-to-date music? We’ll just have to wait and see.
- MCU Phase 1: The rise of the Avengers
- MCU Phase 2: All the movies you need to see
- MCU Phase 3: Why it’s the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- MCU Phase 4: Everything we know so far
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 release date
Vol. 3 doesn’t have an official release date yet, but it certainly won’t be one of the first films of Phase 4. It can’t start filming until James Gunn has finished making his Suicide Squad sequel for DC/Warner Bros., and that’s due to start filming in September 2019. With The Suicide Squad scheduled for release in August 2021, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 can’t arrive before then.
Want more reviews and interviews from Gavia Baker-Whitelaw? Sign up here to receive her biweekly geek culture newsletter.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.