- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
He tweeted his thanks in a statement, his first tweet since the controversy this summer.
The news, which was first reported by Deadline, comes two months after being tapped to direct Suicide Squad 2 for Warner Bros. and DC Comics; he had already been on board to write the script. It is also a rare reversal for Disney, which had stuck to its guns about firing Gunn.
Last summer, far-right media figurehead Mike Cernovich dug up several of Gunn’s tweets from nearly a decade ago where he joked about rape and pedophilia. Gunn, who had already offered a sincere apology for several of those statements years ago and explained that he was attempting satire and he no longer found it funny, wrote another apology that he posted to Twitter.
The decision to fire Gunn was met with anger and derision from fans, many who felt that Disney played right into the hands of the alt-right, who had targeted Gunn in the first place. The cast of the first two Guardians of the Galaxy film wrote an open letter to Disney to show their support for Gunn in a rare demonstration of publicly speaking out against the major studio that employs them. Dave Bautista, who played Drax the Destroyer, had threatened to quit if Gunn’s script wasn’t used and said that he might not return to make the third film. When other directors’ names were suggested to take over directing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, they publicly said to look at Gunn instead.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Disney never carried on a search to replace Gunn but secretly signed a deal with him instead.
Gunn’s brother Sean Gunn, who also appears in the first two Guardians of the Galaxy, posted a screenshot of an article from the Hollywood Reporter with the caption, “I’ll just leave this here.”
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which Gunn once said would’ve been released in 2020, has been shelved since August 2018. There is no indication of what release schedule Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is working on or how that will affect his commitment to direct Suicide Squad 2, which will be released on Aug. 6, 2021.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.