- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
- Did BTS fans really cause TikTok to crash? (updated) Friday 11:08 AM
- People are selling homemade tampons on Etsy Friday 11:01 AM
- ‘Hunters’ review: Amazon’s Nazi-hunting series was a great idea, in theory Friday 10:47 AM
Twitch is cracking down on hate speech.
On Thursday popular streamer Calebhart42 was banned for displaying racist language on a stream.
Calebhart42 was midway through a stream when he accidentally pulled up a Discord chat. He closed the window promptly, but not before his viewers caught a glimpse. The chat window briefly displayed Calebhart42’s use of a racial slur. The people at Twitch quickly responded, banning Calebhart42 for an unannounced period of time.
Numerous streamers have seen temporary, and in some cases, permanent bans for their behavior on Twitch. Offensive language, NSFW content, and even illegal activities have all earned streamers a ban in 2019—and there are countless examples of streamers slipping-up on Twitch. Top streamers like Alinity Divine, Pokimane, and Summit1g have all received a Twitch ban at some point in their gaming careers, too.
Considering the wide range of punishments dolled out by Twitch, however, it is hard to say how long Calebhart42 will be gone. The punishment for his racist slip-up could see him permanently banned, but it is more likely that we will see him back in action soon.
- Twitch streamer SweetSaltyPeach banned after baking in shorts
- This Twitch streamer accidentally flashed the camera—now she’s banned
- Twitch streamer accidentally goes topless—and men are mad at her light punishment
- Twitch streamer is livid when fans instruct her to put on more clothes during heat wave
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.