- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo 3 Months Ago
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article 3 Months Ago
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Today 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Today 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Today 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
Twitch is cracking down on hate speech.
On Thursday popular streamer Calebhart42 was banned for displaying racist language on a stream.
Calebhart42 was midway through a stream when he accidentally pulled up a Discord chat. He closed the window promptly, but not before his viewers caught a glimpse. The chat window briefly displayed Calebhart42’s use of a racial slur. The people at Twitch quickly responded, banning Calebhart42 for an unannounced period of time.
Numerous streamers have seen temporary, and in some cases, permanent bans for their behavior on Twitch. Offensive language, NSFW content, and even illegal activities have all earned streamers a ban in 2019—and there are countless examples of streamers slipping-up on Twitch. Top streamers like Alinity Divine, Pokimane, and Summit1g have all received a Twitch ban at some point in their gaming careers, too.
Considering the wide range of punishments dolled out by Twitch, however, it is hard to say how long Calebhart42 will be gone. The punishment for his racist slip-up could see him permanently banned, but it is more likely that we will see him back in action soon.
- Twitch streamer SweetSaltyPeach banned after baking in shorts
- This Twitch streamer accidentally flashed the camera—now she’s banned
- Twitch streamer accidentally goes topless—and men are mad at her light punishment
- Twitch streamer is livid when fans instruct her to put on more clothes during heat wave
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.