- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
The incident happened this past weekend when he was in a stream. A female voice on his Discord call said, “So, call her and be like, ‘I know you’re having a hard time at the moment. I gave you the number. If you’re really suicidal, I cannot help you. We’re friends, and I should not having to be to dealing with this.’”
Aus_Swag placed the call, the woman answered the phone, and he said, “I think you should just kill yourself honestly.”
Many on the stream then broke out into peals of laughter, and Aus_Swag fell out of his chair in hysteria. In the melee, somebody said, “That can get you sent to jail, dude.” Somebody else said, “You’re getting banned.”
Not many others found the stunt funny, and he’s been banned from Twitch.
According to RuneScape, an online-role playing game, he’s also been banned from playing.
“The RuneScape player is not someone with whom Jagex has—or ever had—a business relationship but given the incredibly serious nature of the incident we have taken measures that make it clear such behavior will not be tolerated,” a statement found on the Runescape forum read. “As a result, the individual has had their RuneScape account permanently banned with immediate effect. Jagex is incredibly passionate about mental health and wellbeing, and we will continue to do all we can to help those in our community—and beyond—receive the support they need to overcome the mental health challenges they face in their day-to-day lives.”
According to the streamer, this was supposed to be a joke. On his supposed Twitter account, Aus_Swag apologized but said the microphone was actually muted when he called the woman, so she never heard him tell her to kill herself.
Im Sorry. pic.twitter.com/HZ9Kt3FJQ0— Aus Swag (@SwagAus) January 21, 2019
He also uploaded a YouTube video in which he recorded himself calling back the woman and asking if she heard him tell her to commit suicide. On the video below, she said no though she also said he had been acting strange.
“In reality, it isn’t something to joke or laugh about, and the actions of myself and the people who were in the Discord call were reprehensible and not a true representation of my community,” Aus_Swag wrote on Twitter.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.