- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Hillary Clinton walks back comments on Trump supporters after social media backlash
She said it was a mistake to be ‘grossly generalistic.’
Hillary Clinton is walking back a comment she made about Trump supporters.
At an LBGT fundraising event on Friday, Clinton discussed how she feared Trump’s proposed Supreme Court Justices “will overturn marriage equality.” But a few minutes later, she made a quote that caused backlash among Trump supporters:
You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.
#BasketofDeplorables started trending on Twitter shortly after the Trump campaign caught wind of the comments and issued a statement decrying them.
Hillary shows contempt for people in her “basket”. I think she blew a gasket. Her campaign headed for a casket.
— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) September 10, 2016
Prominent Republicans disavowed Clinton’s language while others, including Trump advisor Roger Stone, embraced it.
Hillary Clinton should be ashamed of her comments.
— Paul Ryan (@PRyan) September 10, 2016
According to CNN, Clinton made a statement on Saturday expressing regret at calling “half” of Trump’s supporters deplorable.
“Many of Trump’s supporters are hard-working Americans who just don’t feel like the economy or our political system are working for them,” she said. But she won’t stop bringing attention to “calling out bigotry and racist rhetoric in this campaign.”
Cynthia McKelvey covered the health and science for the Daily Dot until 2017. She earned a graduate degree in science communication from the University of California Santa Cruz in 2014. Her work has appeared in Gizmodo, Scientific American Mind, and Mic.com.