- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Hillary Clinton is walking back a comment she made about Trump supporters.
At an LBGT fundraising event on Friday, Clinton discussed how she feared Trump’s proposed Supreme Court Justices “will overturn marriage equality.” But a few minutes later, she made a quote that caused backlash among Trump supporters:
You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.
#BasketofDeplorables started trending on Twitter shortly after the Trump campaign caught wind of the comments and issued a statement decrying them.
Hillary shows contempt for people in her “basket”. I think she blew a gasket. Her campaign headed for a casket.
— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) September 10, 2016
Prominent Republicans disavowed Clinton’s language while others, including Trump advisor Roger Stone, embraced it.
Hillary Clinton should be ashamed of her comments.
— Paul Ryan (@PRyan) September 10, 2016
According to CNN, Clinton made a statement on Saturday expressing regret at calling “half” of Trump’s supporters deplorable.
“Many of Trump’s supporters are hard-working Americans who just don’t feel like the economy or our political system are working for them,” she said. But she won’t stop bringing attention to “calling out bigotry and racist rhetoric in this campaign.”
Cynthia McKelvey covered the health and science for the Daily Dot until 2017. She earned a graduate degree in science communication from the University of California Santa Cruz in 2014. Her work has appeared in Gizmodo, Scientific American Mind, and Mic.com.