- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Today 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Today 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Today 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Today 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Today 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Today 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Today 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
Things keep getting worse for Samsung. After a rash of customer complaints about battery fire and explosion issues with the newly released Galaxy Note 7, the company launched a massive recall. But now, the ones that remain in use are basically ticking time bombs, as one man discovered when his blew up in his hotel room.
Reddit user Crushader posted his personal Note 7 tragedy, explaining that his brand new Samsung smartphone was charging—with its official charging cable and adapter—in his hotel room as he slept when it exploded. The phone woke him up when it burst into flames, and he knocked the device the floor, burning holes in a bed sheet and smoldering the carpet in the process.
The phone is a complete loss, and not even the SD card can be salvaged. To put salt in the wound, he’s now facing a bill from the hotel in excess of $1,800 AUD (just under $1,400 U.S.) for the damages.
Upon notifying Samsung of the unfortunate event, Crushader claims a company representative told him it was the first case of an exploding Note 7 in Australia, though it’s becoming a shockingly regular occurrence worldwide.
As for the now phone-less Australian man, he says Samsung gave him a loaner phone—presumably while they work on getting a non-exploding version of the Note 7 to him—and that the company has said it will reimburse the hotel for the damages caused to the room.
Mike Wehner is a former tech editor for the Daily Dot who now writes for BGR. His work has appeared everywhere from Yahoo to CNN, and there’s a good chance his Apple Watch is dead right now.