- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
But Tom seems to have caught Jerry off guard this time.
A few weeks ago, Walmart announced it would offer free two-day shipping to anyone who buys at least $35 worth of goods. It was a direct attack at the change Amazon made about a year ago, which increased the minimum required purchase for free shipping up to $49.
Now it appears the online retailer isn’t going to let one of its biggest rivals get away with it. Amazon has quietly lowered the minimum required price for free shipping to match Walmart at $35. And those who don’t use Amazon’s Kindle products will benefit from free shipping on all book orders of just $25 or more.
An Amazon spokeswoman confirmed the new pricing with CNET, but declined to give specifics about when and why the change happened. It also did not confirm two-day shipping for the non-Prime orders.
An estimated 44 percent of American homes subscribe to Amazon Prime. Walmart has been trying a number of techniques to steal a portion of that crowd, but hasn’t found much success. Its latest bid goes after the other 56 percent not signed up for Prime by offering the two-day shipping perk of Prime without the price.
One area Walmart will continually struggle with is the sheer size of Amazon’s online marketplace, which offers more than 250 million products. That, along with the millions of reviews to help guide customer’s buying decisions, makes it difficult for the once-leading retail corporation to regain its title.
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.