Sign up to receive the best of the internet straight to your inbox.
Two women were caught on camera physically fighting over a PS5 in Walmart. The fight ended with one woman stomping on the other, eventually knocking her out. Here’s what else caught our attention this weekend:
- Sergeant brags about hitting BLM protesters with car—fellow cop reminds him bodycam ‘is on’
- People think Melania and Donald’s Christmas portrait is Photoshopped
- Can you drink alcohol after getting the coronavirus vaccine?
BREAK THE INTERNET
A police sergeant was placed on administrative leave after he was caught seemingly bragging about hitting Black Lives Matter protesters with a car.
In a video that is going viral across social media, a sergeant with the Boston Police Department recalls “f*cking hitting people with the car” when speaking with another officer.
Mid-story, the officer walks away from the sergeant before circling back to tell him, “It’s on. This thing is—,” referring to his bodycam. The sergeant seems to try and play it off, saying “I know” before changing his tune and story.
“Oh, no no no. I know. … I didn’t hit anybody,” he says.
The officer seems apologetic for having his bodycam on. “This thing just f*cking went on automatically,” he explains to the sergeant.
Boston Police Commissioner William G. Gross said in a statement that in addition to the “sergeant involved in this incident” being placed on administrative leave, an investigation by the Bureau of Professional Standards is underway.
The incident occurred when the 2020 Black Lives Matter movement, spurred by the police killing of George Floyd, was at its height in June. The footage is part of the hours of footage featuring Boston police’s response to the protests that the Appeal received from attorney Carl Williams, who is representing some of the protesters.
Read the full report here, and catch up on more you may have missed below.
—Eilish O’Sullivan, news wire editor
Sure, we’re all excited about the news of a vaccine, but it’s not time to rip off your mask and breathe on everyone just yet. This flu season could be a deadly one, especially with so many hospitals overflowing with COVID-19 patients. Keep reading to make sure you don’t end up being one of them.
A CHRISTMAS MYSTERY
People online are claiming that President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump’s final Christmas portrait was Photoshopped. But experts who spoke with the Daily Dot say there is likely a much simpler explanation for the photo’s appearance.
Read the full report here.
—Mikael Thalen contributing writer
- Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom takes place over one day in the recording studio with blues legend Ma Rainey (Viola Davis). Chadwick Boseman co-stars as a charismatic and overconfident young trumpeter; a brilliant performance in his final role.
- The main crew splits up into solo storylines and new team-ups for The Expanse’s fifth season, offering a thrilling balance between action, political scheming, and tense personal conflicts.
FROM OUR FRIENDS AT NAUTILUS
News recently spread that Russian health officials are advising those receiving the Sputnik vaccine to avoid alcohol for two months. As coronavirus vaccines begin rolling out around the world and the New Year’s holiday inches closer, citizens of other countries have a pressing question on their minds: Can you drink alcohol after receiving the coronavirus vaccine?
Find out more here.
—Nahila Bonfiglio, contributing writer
BEHIND THE SEAMS
While most spacefaring films focus on high-achieving explorers, astronauts, and lightspeed pilots, this video essay explores Alien’s revolutionary blue-collar aesthetics that have influenced sci-fi for decades.
- ‘This is not a feel-good story’: Teacher wears oxygen mask to teach virtually before dying from COVID 👩🏫
- Instagram Influencer threatens nurse, calls her a ‘b*tch’ after COVID test made him cry 😢
- Instagram influencer who shared battle with anorexia dies 💔
- Sveta Bilyalova says Jay Alvarrez blackmailed her with ‘coconut oil’ tape, leaked it without consent📱
- ‘SNL’ fans are loving the new Joe Biden after Jim Carrey exits 🎤
Now playing: Chance The Rapper — “The Return”