- Trump Jr.s ‘Triggered’ topped best-seller’s list with help of RNC Thursday 7:41 PM
- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Thursday 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Thursday 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Thursday 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Thursday 12:01 PM
After Ghost, Jon Snow’s direwolf, disappeared amid the bloody Battle of Winterfell, many fans feared he’d died, so they were relieved to see him battered but otherwise healthy and adorable in Sunday’s Game of Thrones episode. As such, they were understandably very upset when Snow left for the series’ epic final battle at King’s Landing without giving his loyal companion a single pet! Memes flooded Twitter in the good boy’s defense.
Fans’ attachment to Ghost is understandable, especially given all the recent major character deaths. The Stark family came across Ghost and his siblings when they were just pups all the way back in season one. With a direwolf being the family house’s sigil, it seemed only fitting that each of the Stark children received one. As their half-brother, Snow is left out, but he later chances upon an albino runt of the litter, Ghost, and the rest is history.
Ghost stayed by Snow’s side as he joined the Night’s Watch, retook Castle Black, and died after being stabbed in a mutiny (and then was promptly brought back to life because magic). Ghost deserved a pat goodbye—at the very least. One tweet asking for retweets if Ghost was “the best boy” and “deserved all the pets jon didn’t give him” garnered more than 10,000 tweets in less than 12 hours.
Fans were also quick to point out that Snow had enough time to give two of his other companions, Tormund Giantsbane and Sam Tarly, hugs goodbye on his way out to what may be his final battle. Apparently even in a 90-minute episode, he can’t find time to say goodbye to one very good boy.
These #GameofThrones episodes are 14 hours long and they couldn’t find 2 seconds for Jon to AT LEAST touch his forehead to Ghost’s to say goodbye?! Ghost is a GOOD BOY and he deserved better pic.twitter.com/yyece2ziCS— Rachel Perez (@rachperez105) May 6, 2019
The Twitter account Can You Pet The Dog?, @CanYouPetTheDog, even weighed in on the travesty after a few incensed fans reached out to them. The viral account publishes tweets acknowledging whether or not certain games allow players to pet the dogs within them. On at least one occasion, the account lamenting a game’s lack of this feature prompted the developers to patch it into the game. “Many people have reached out to say that you cannot pet the dog in tonight’s Game of Thrones,” a post from Monday morning reads. “This is true, but since it is inherently a non-interactive medium, I should add that you also cannot pet the dog in any episode of television ever made.”
Many people have reached out to say that you cannot pet the dog in tonight's Game of Thrones. This is true, but since it is inherently a non-interactive medium, I should add that you also cannot pet the dog in any episode of television ever made. https://t.co/SRUsf6tf0T— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) May 6, 2019
Sure, Snow’s probably got a lot on his mind what with discovering his lover is his aunt and that fact that he’s in line to rule all of Westeros, but come on! Give poor Ghost some love! If not, there’s obviously a horde of fans willing to give this doggo the pets he deserves.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.