- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
After Ghost, Jon Snow’s direwolf, disappeared amid the bloody Battle of Winterfell, many fans feared he’d died, so they were relieved to see him battered but otherwise healthy and adorable in Sunday’s Game of Thrones episode. As such, they were understandably very upset when Snow left for the series’ epic final battle at King’s Landing without giving his loyal companion a single pet! Memes flooded Twitter in the good boy’s defense.
Fans’ attachment to Ghost is understandable, especially given all the recent major character deaths. The Stark family came across Ghost and his siblings when they were just pups all the way back in season one. With a direwolf being the family house’s sigil, it seemed only fitting that each of the Stark children received one. As their half-brother, Snow is left out, but he later chances upon an albino runt of the litter, Ghost, and the rest is history.
Ghost stayed by Snow’s side as he joined the Night’s Watch, retook Castle Black, and died after being stabbed in a mutiny (and then was promptly brought back to life because magic). Ghost deserved a pat goodbye—at the very least. One tweet asking for retweets if Ghost was “the best boy” and “deserved all the pets jon didn’t give him” garnered more than 10,000 tweets in less than 12 hours.
Fans were also quick to point out that Snow had enough time to give two of his other companions, Tormund Giantsbane and Sam Tarly, hugs goodbye on his way out to what may be his final battle. Apparently even in a 90-minute episode, he can’t find time to say goodbye to one very good boy.
These #GameofThrones episodes are 14 hours long and they couldn’t find 2 seconds for Jon to AT LEAST touch his forehead to Ghost’s to say goodbye?! Ghost is a GOOD BOY and he deserved better pic.twitter.com/yyece2ziCS— Rachel Perez (@rachperez105) May 6, 2019
The Twitter account Can You Pet The Dog?, @CanYouPetTheDog, even weighed in on the travesty after a few incensed fans reached out to them. The viral account publishes tweets acknowledging whether or not certain games allow players to pet the dogs within them. On at least one occasion, the account lamenting a game’s lack of this feature prompted the developers to patch it into the game. “Many people have reached out to say that you cannot pet the dog in tonight’s Game of Thrones,” a post from Monday morning reads. “This is true, but since it is inherently a non-interactive medium, I should add that you also cannot pet the dog in any episode of television ever made.”
Many people have reached out to say that you cannot pet the dog in tonight's Game of Thrones. This is true, but since it is inherently a non-interactive medium, I should add that you also cannot pet the dog in any episode of television ever made. https://t.co/SRUsf6tf0T— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) May 6, 2019
Sure, Snow’s probably got a lot on his mind what with discovering his lover is his aunt and that fact that he’s in line to rule all of Westeros, but come on! Give poor Ghost some love! If not, there’s obviously a horde of fans willing to give this doggo the pets he deserves.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.