- The 10 best science podcasts to teach you about our world 4 Months Ago
- How to make sure you have access to every Instagram filter 4 Months Ago
- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
Spencer Campbell, writing for Electronic Gamer Monthly gave Enter the Gungeon a 9/10 rating, saying “It takes the rogue-like formula of its predecessors and combines it with the mechanics of a pattern-heavy bullet hell like Ikaruga, then layers a heaping dose of its own charm on top. The end result is a hellishly difficult, vastly rewarding game with a tone all its own.”
But that isn’t to say the game was perfect. People noticed one flaw, and boy was it a big one: You could not pet the helpful dog that followed you around.
This was highlighted by the Twitter account “Can You Pet the Dog?” which, as the name implies, tells you which video games allow you to pet the dog in the game and which do not.
You cannot pet the dog in Minecraft pic.twitter.com/mCeQC2ew9E— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 7, 2019
You can pet the dog in Haunting Ground pic.twitter.com/KwlQIgF4oH— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 4, 2019
You cannot pet the dog in Bloodborne pic.twitter.com/ReTjfGtOAB— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 5, 2019
The person who runs the “Can You Pet the Dog?” account, who wishes to remain anonymous, told us via email that they deleted the original tweet about Enter the Gungeon because it is no longer accurate. Instead, they replaced with this much, much better one.
New: Following an update, you can now pet the dog in Enter the Gungeon pic.twitter.com/kUOuF9ljL6— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 5, 2019
It seems the initial tweet caught the attention of Dave Oshry, CEO of New Blood Interactive, who replied to it with a crying emoticon. He also tagged Dave Crooks, the man who designed Enter the Gungeon. Crooks took this as a challenge and replied: “Hold my beer.”
Hold my beer— DodgeRollDave (@dave_crooks) March 12, 2019
And behold, just a few weeks later, when the “Farewell to Arms” update dropped for Enter the Gungeon, a very important change had been made.
The gaming community rejoiced.
Enter the Gungeon is the best game ever made. Why? Because you can pet the dog.— TrashyyBoii🏳️🌈 (@SomeTrashCan_) April 6, 2019
me when Enter The Gungeon releases new content:— Pladd (@itspladd) April 6, 2019
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
me when you can now pet the dog in Enter The Gungeon:
( ͡⊙ ͜ʖ ͡⊙)
OH MY GOD YOU CAN NOW PET THE DOG YEShttps://t.co/kJrtkFDlrn— INEXSONZAI (@Wonderis_) April 5, 2019
Although they were obviously happy about the change, the person behind “Can You Pet the Dog?” was reluctant to take credit for it.
“I attribute the addition of a pettable dog in Enter the Gungeon in large part to the game’s community, including the r/EnterTheGungeon subreddit,” they told us. “Their vocal support of the idea was then heard by the responsive team at Dodge Roll Games, who implemented a great dog-petting feature. Overall, I had very little to do with these events, but I am pleased with the outcome.”
A few articles have attributed this development solely to me, which I believe is inaccurate -- the game's community, including the active r/EnterTheGungeon subreddit, are responsible for bringing this issue to light.https://t.co/tGHBXWCZp2— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 9, 2019
Although certainly, their tweet had a some role in the update.
And it wouldn’t be the first time. “A handful of developers have implied that they were inspired by the account,” they said. “Two recent games that come to mind are Headliner: NoviNews and Knights and Bikes.”
⛔BREAKING ⛔— Unbound Creations 🕹 (@UnboundCreation) April 9, 2019
We interrupt your feed to bring you this public service announcement:
🐶 You can now pet the doggo 🐶
You may resume casual scrolling 📲 pic.twitter.com/kowK2fo9Kp
Petting digital dogs is clearly important to the gaming community. After all, the whole point of video games is to escape into a better/more exciting world, and who wants to live in a world where you can’t pet a dog? Still the creator of “Can You Pet the Dog” offers a few words of caution.
“It is great to see more dog-petting in games,” they said, “but I hope that anyone who goes on to request such a feature does so politely and with respect to the developers.”
In other words, only good boys get treats.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.