- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
Spencer Campbell, writing for Electronic Gamer Monthly gave Enter the Gungeon a 9/10 rating, saying “It takes the rogue-like formula of its predecessors and combines it with the mechanics of a pattern-heavy bullet hell like Ikaruga, then layers a heaping dose of its own charm on top. The end result is a hellishly difficult, vastly rewarding game with a tone all its own.”
But that isn’t to say the game was perfect. People noticed one flaw, and boy was it a big one: You could not pet the helpful dog that followed you around.
This was highlighted by the Twitter account “Can You Pet the Dog?” which, as the name implies, tells you which video games allow you to pet the dog in the game and which do not.
You cannot pet the dog in Minecraft pic.twitter.com/mCeQC2ew9E— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 7, 2019
You can pet the dog in Haunting Ground pic.twitter.com/KwlQIgF4oH— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 4, 2019
You cannot pet the dog in Bloodborne pic.twitter.com/ReTjfGtOAB— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 5, 2019
The person who runs the “Can You Pet the Dog?” account, who wishes to remain anonymous, told us via email that they deleted the original tweet about Enter the Gungeon because it is no longer accurate. Instead, they replaced with this much, much better one.
New: Following an update, you can now pet the dog in Enter the Gungeon pic.twitter.com/kUOuF9ljL6— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 5, 2019
It seems the initial tweet caught the attention of Dave Oshry, CEO of New Blood Interactive, who replied to it with a crying emoticon. He also tagged Dave Crooks, the man who designed Enter the Gungeon. Crooks took this as a challenge and replied: “Hold my beer.”
Hold my beer— DodgeRollDave (@dave_crooks) March 12, 2019
And behold, just a few weeks later, when the “Farewell to Arms” update dropped for Enter the Gungeon, a very important change had been made.
The gaming community rejoiced.
Enter the Gungeon is the best game ever made. Why? Because you can pet the dog.— ✖️TrashyBoy✖️ (@SomeTrashCan_) April 6, 2019
me when Enter The Gungeon releases new content:— Pladd (@itspladd) April 6, 2019
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
me when you can now pet the dog in Enter The Gungeon:
( ͡⊙ ͜ʖ ͡⊙)
OH MY GOD YOU CAN NOW PET THE DOG YEShttps://t.co/kJrtkFDlrn— INEXSONZAI (@Wonderis_) April 5, 2019
Although they were obviously happy about the change, the person behind “Can You Pet the Dog?” was reluctant to take credit for it.
“I attribute the addition of a pettable dog in Enter the Gungeon in large part to the game’s community, including the r/EnterTheGungeon subreddit,” they told us. “Their vocal support of the idea was then heard by the responsive team at Dodge Roll Games, who implemented a great dog-petting feature. Overall, I had very little to do with these events, but I am pleased with the outcome.”
A few articles have attributed this development solely to me, which I believe is inaccurate -- the game's community, including the active r/EnterTheGungeon subreddit, are responsible for bringing this issue to light.https://t.co/tGHBXWCZp2— Can You Pet the Dog? (@CanYouPetTheDog) April 9, 2019
Although certainly, their tweet had a some role in the update.
And it wouldn’t be the first time. “A handful of developers have implied that they were inspired by the account,” they said. “Two recent games that come to mind are Headliner: NoviNews and Knights and Bikes.”
Petting digital dogs is clearly important to the gaming community. After all, the whole point of video games is to escape into a better/more exciting world, and who wants to live in a world where you can’t pet a dog? Still the creator of “Can You Pet the Dog” offers a few words of caution.
“It is great to see more dog-petting in games,” they said, “but I hope that anyone who goes on to request such a feature does so politely and with respect to the developers.”
In other words, only good boys get treats.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.