- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme
Everyone knows this face.
It was the moment many Game of Thrones fans were waiting for: Daenerys and Sansa finally met face-to-face. And now Daenerys’ relatable, passive-aggressive smile in that meeting has been turned into a meme.
Everyone at Winterfell prepared for a deadly standoff against the White Walkers in the latest episode of the HBO series. Two of the series’ most powerful women–Daenerys and Sansa–faced off in a more civilized manner: through passive-aggressive banter. The moment was ripe for meme making.
Caption this. pic.twitter.com/g85egCy4Nc
— doom (@reallyhalalfood) April 22, 2019
On Monday, Twitter user @reallyhalalfood posted a screenshot of Daenerys’ smile, along with the text “Caption this,” letting users have free rein with the moment.
“It happened to be one of my favorite scenes of Sunday’s episode,” @reallyhalalfood told the Daily Dot. “[Daenerys’] laugh and face has 1,000 underlying meanings. Everyone has had it in their lives, and it led to a great moment that I just had to share.”
In fact, Danny’s passive aggression is so relatable that it’s already earned nearly 1,000 comments, its own Twitter moment, and thousands of captioned retweets.
this how white people smile at all minorities https://t.co/RhIKwLMZ8H
— lalla ka3b ghzal (@_kurlykay) April 22, 2019
“He’s Black, but he’s not BLACK Black, you know?” https://t.co/cscYMtl97a
— chris kindred (@itskindred) April 23, 2019
Do you draw them by hand or with a computer? https://t.co/RZCK1o76UC
— Rachael Stott (@RachaelAtWork) April 23, 2019
Me: I've been working very hard on my artistic skillset for over 15 years!
Them: ACTUALLY your **talent** is a **gift** and was given to you by **god**!! You have done nothing! Also it's not a skill! Also it's just a hobby and you should drop it and have babies instead!
— Hannah Lavender @ work (@Hannah_illo) April 23, 2019
Per my last email face https://t.co/xKjuwR94u8
— Matthew A. Cherry 🏁 (@MatthewACherry) April 23, 2019
when u work in retail n some arsehole tells u its a shame ur missin a lovely day ootside https://t.co/194TsyGq07
— calvin (@profiterholes) April 23, 2019
“Sorry for the delay! We recently implemented a new invoicing system so could you resubmit your info via this new email address? Should be cleared in 30 days.” https://t.co/eDANTjH8KI
— Tres Dean wrote a book about The Rock preorder it (@treswritesstuff) April 23, 2019
“You speak so well, which school did you go to?” https://t.co/IsEG14pCGT
— Gugulethu Mhlungu (@GugsM) April 23, 2019
Anyone who has ever worked retail knows this smile all too well.
“You know what? Why don’t I just speak to your manager instead?” https://t.co/mSOWB51VKX
— Cristian Perez (@CristianPerez07) April 23, 2019
I asked for this drink ICED. https://t.co/LW1zk1fGTE
— Jaylen Baham (@Gleefuljaylen14) April 23, 2019
Viewers have been eagerly awaiting the meeting between the Mother of Dragons and Lady of Winterfell. The two women possess diametrically opposed goals for the future of Westeros–which, of course, becomes irrelevant if everyone is murdered by ice zombies in the next episode.
This season of Game of Thrones has had a strong start with memes. And if anyone survives the next episode’s highly anticipated battle, Danny’s all-too-relatable squint hopefully won’t be the last.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.