- How much money do you need to book Beyoncé for your wedding? Monday 8:00 PM
- Twitter is stoked about Netflix’s Fyre Fest documentary Monday 7:37 PM
- Jacquees launches Twitter debate after calling himself ‘King of R&B’ Monday 6:52 PM
- Watch a British politician steal a ceremonial mace to halt Brexit proceedings Monday 6:07 PM
- Dog waits for weeks by his family’s burned house after California wildfire Monday 5:45 PM
- Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes suspended from YouTube Monday 3:46 PM
- The best sex toys for couples to heat up the holidays Monday 3:35 PM
- Chrissy Teigen shares tattoo her dad got of her face for her birthday Monday 3:31 PM
- Kavanaugh votes against hearing Planned Parenthood defunding case Monday 3:14 PM
- YouTube’s 2018 Rewind video is one of the most-hated videos of all time Monday 12:37 PM
- Roger the buff kangaroo has died at the age of 12 Monday 12:34 PM
- Elon Musk says no one is censoring his tweets Monday 12:22 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for heist movie starring Ben Affleck and Oscar Isaac Monday 12:18 PM
- Offset tweeted about missing Cardi B—and the internet isn’t having it Monday 12:17 PM
- Why this wild Trump resignation conspiracy theory really makes a lot of sense Monday 12:14 PM
‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ is due out in summer 2019, and we’ve got all the news from behind the scenes.
If you’re hungry for more John Wick movies (who isn’t?), you’re in luck. A third film is already in the works, along with a comic book, a TV series, and a possible spinoff movie. After weeks of rumors, Halle Berry has officially joined the cast of John Wick 3, and she looks seriously awesome in her first photo as Sofia in John Wick: Chapter 3.
The supporting cast now includes Anjelica Huston, Asia Kate Dillon (best known for playing the first gender nonbinary character on U.S. TV, Taylor Mason in Billions), comedian Jason Mantzoukas, and martial arts actor Mark Dacascos.
— John Wick: Chapter 3 (@JohnWickMovie) May 21, 2018
Here’s everything else we know about John Wick: Chapter 3.
John Wick: Chapter 3 cast
Keanu Reeves will (obviously) return once again as John Wick. Lionsgate hasn’t announced any supporting actors yet, but we won’t be surprised to see the return of recurring characters like Aurelio the mechanic (John Leguizamo), Jimmy the cop (Thomas Sadoski), and Winston (Ian McShane), the proprietor of New York’s Continental hotel.
We’d also love to see more of Laurence Fishburne as the Bowery King, which is a definite possibility because director Chad Stahelski wants to expand the worldbuilding of Chapter 2. Speaking to Collider in May, he said he was in the middle of writing the new screenplay, and wants to “show you the inner workings of different parts of New York.”
“So rather than massive set pieces, I’d like to show you cooler and more intricate ones… I think it would be a mistake budget wise and creatively to just go big and blow up a freeway. That’s not our gig. That’s a comic book or a Bond gig. We want to show you cool and intricate details. What are those little details in everyday life? Hopefully – we make people look at garbage collectors and cleaner vans and homeless people a little differently now.”
In January 2018, Cassian (Common), the Bowery King (Laurence Fishburne) and Ares (Ruby Rose) were confirmed to return, joined by a new antagonist played by Hiroyuki Sanada.
As of May 2018, filming is officially underway. Cinematographer Dan Laustsen posted the first photo from the set, showing Keanu Reeves in a characteristically atmospheric setting.
John Wick: Chapter 3 plot
As expected, Chapter 3 will continue straight on from the end of Chapter 2. Revealed at CinemaCon 2018, the basic plot summary suggests John Wick will spend most of his time in New York:
“John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is on the run for two reasons… he’s being hunted for a global $14 million dollar open contract on his life, and for breaking a central rule: taking a life on Continental Hotel grounds. The victim was a member of the High Table who ordered the open contract. John should have already been executed, except the Continental’s manager, Winston, has given him a one-hour grace period before he’s “Excommunicado” – membership revoked, banned from all services and cut off from other members. John uses the service industry to stay alive as he fights and kills his way out of New York City.”
John Wick: Chapter 3 trailer
Come on, let’s be real here. You won’t see a trailer until late 2018, so cool your jets and rewatch one of the first two movies instead.
John Wick extended universe
Chad Stahelski is developing a John Wick TV spinoff called The Continental, exploring the shadowy world of the Continental hotels. It would be hard to replicate John Wick‘s fight choreography and visual flair on a TV budget, but this way they can expand the franchise without seeming like a poor copy of the original. Instead of starring John Wick or another action-hero character, the show will focus on Continental employees and their role beside the assassins and gangsters of the movie franchise.
Lionsgate is also producing a female-led action movie that could become a John Wick spinoff. Titled Ballerina, it was written by newcomer Shay Hatten, a 23-year-old writer’s assistant at Robert Downey Jr.’s production company. The script has been compared to La Femme Nikita, and centers around an assassin who avenges her murdered family.
John Wick: Chapter 3 release date
John Wick: Chapter 3 will come out on May 17, 2019. That means the John Wick franchise has officially graduated from “cult hit” to “summer blockbuster.”
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.