- If you have doubts about HBO’s ‘Watchmen,’ give it more time Sunday 9:00 PM
- Video shows moment coach disarmed student of shotgun, then hugged him Sunday 7:38 PM
- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Sunday 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Sunday 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Sunday 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Sunday 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Sunday 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Sunday 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Sunday 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Sunday 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Sunday 4:00 AM
Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) deleted a tweet on Friday morning where he criticized “Democrats” for subpoenaing Donald Trump Jr.
That’s because—as many people quickly pointed out—it wasn’t Democrats who subpoenaed the president’s son for his testimony, it was the Republican-controlled Senate Intelligence Committee. The committee has been investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election for years.
“You can’t make this stuff up: Democrats are subpoenaing @DonaldJTrumpJr based on the testimony of Michael Cohen–a man who lied to Congress multiple times. This is how low they are willing to sink to harass @realDonaldTrump & his entire family. The #MuellerReport is done. Move on!” he wrote.
The tweet was later deleted, but not before being noticed by people online.
Took only a few days for Richard Burr to become a Democrat. https://t.co/G9Jnxvyv70— Jonathan Swan (@jonathanvswan) May 10, 2019
you can, apparently, “make this stuff up”— Sam Stein (@samstein) May 10, 2019
Richard Burr is not a Democrat https://t.co/5jRO5UngWr
Actually it appears you can just make stuff up, because a Republican committee subpoenaed @DonaldJTrumpJr, not “Democrats.”— Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) May 10, 2019
Steve Scalise apparently deleted this tweet, which falsely blamed Democrats for the Donald Trump Jr. subpoena pic.twitter.com/gxFJK7EBvV— Aaron Blake (@AaronBlake) May 10, 2019
Allies of the president’s son reportedly have pressured Republican lawmakers to push against the committee’s decision to subpoena him, according to the New York Times.
CNN reports that Trump Jr. is considering invoking his Fifth Amendment rights in response to the subpoena.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).