- The atonement of an alt-right troll 2 Weeks Ago
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights 2 Weeks Ago
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
Steve Scalise doesn’t realize his own party is the one demanding Trump Jr. testify
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) deleted a tweet on Friday morning where he criticized “Democrats” for subpoenaing Donald Trump Jr.
That’s because—as many people quickly pointed out—it wasn’t Democrats who subpoenaed the president’s son for his testimony, it was the Republican-controlled Senate Intelligence Committee. The committee has been investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election for years.
“You can’t make this stuff up: Democrats are subpoenaing @DonaldJTrumpJr based on the testimony of Michael Cohen–a man who lied to Congress multiple times. This is how low they are willing to sink to harass @realDonaldTrump & his entire family. The #MuellerReport is done. Move on!” he wrote.
The tweet was later deleted, but not before being noticed by people online.
Took only a few days for Richard Burr to become a Democrat. https://t.co/G9Jnxvyv70
— Jonathan Swan (@jonathanvswan) May 10, 2019
you can, apparently, “make this stuff up”
Richard Burr is not a Democrat https://t.co/5jRO5UngWr
— Sam Stein (@samstein) May 10, 2019
Actually it appears you can just make stuff up, because a Republican committee subpoenaed @DonaldJTrumpJr, not “Democrats.”
— Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) May 10, 2019
What a shock, @SteveScalise deleted this tweet.
Pepperidge Farm remembers. pic.twitter.com/Xp3R5KsYGl
— (((Mad Bastard))) (@MadBastard_v2) May 10, 2019
— JerseyScott (@ScottNNJ) May 10, 2019
Steve Scalise apparently deleted this tweet, which falsely blamed Democrats for the Donald Trump Jr. subpoena pic.twitter.com/gxFJK7EBvV
— Aaron Blake (@AaronBlake) May 10, 2019
Allies of the president’s son reportedly have pressured Republican lawmakers to push against the committee’s decision to subpoena him, according to the New York Times.
CNN reports that Trump Jr. is considering invoking his Fifth Amendment rights in response to the subpoena.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).