- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy 2 Months Ago
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him 2 Months Ago
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console 2 Months Ago
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
Steve Scalise doesn’t realize his own party is the one demanding Trump Jr. testify
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) deleted a tweet on Friday morning where he criticized “Democrats” for subpoenaing Donald Trump Jr.
That’s because—as many people quickly pointed out—it wasn’t Democrats who subpoenaed the president’s son for his testimony, it was the Republican-controlled Senate Intelligence Committee. The committee has been investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election for years.
“You can’t make this stuff up: Democrats are subpoenaing @DonaldJTrumpJr based on the testimony of Michael Cohen–a man who lied to Congress multiple times. This is how low they are willing to sink to harass @realDonaldTrump & his entire family. The #MuellerReport is done. Move on!” he wrote.
The tweet was later deleted, but not before being noticed by people online.
Took only a few days for Richard Burr to become a Democrat. https://t.co/G9Jnxvyv70— Jonathan Swan (@jonathanvswan) May 10, 2019
you can, apparently, “make this stuff up”— Sam Stein (@samstein) May 10, 2019
Richard Burr is not a Democrat https://t.co/5jRO5UngWr
Actually it appears you can just make stuff up, because a Republican committee subpoenaed @DonaldJTrumpJr, not “Democrats.”— Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) May 10, 2019
Steve Scalise apparently deleted this tweet, which falsely blamed Democrats for the Donald Trump Jr. subpoena pic.twitter.com/gxFJK7EBvV— Aaron Blake (@AaronBlake) May 10, 2019
Allies of the president’s son reportedly have pressured Republican lawmakers to push against the committee’s decision to subpoena him, according to the New York Times.
CNN reports that Trump Jr. is considering invoking his Fifth Amendment rights in response to the subpoena.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).