- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
Giggles the pig is the most worthy write-in candidate in this crazy mayoral election
Giggles the pig is shaking things up in Michigan.
The mayoral race in Flint, Mich., sounds like something out of a David Lynch film.
The three candidates for mayor in Michael Moore’s hometown are a convicted murderer, a convicted drunk driver, and a pig named Giggles. Adding to the surreal tension, the murderer has threatened to kill and eat the pig.
Due to a bureaucratic screw-up, every candidate in Flint’s mayoral race this year is a write-in candidate. Gadfly defense attorney Michael Ewing took advantage of this fact by writing in his one-year-old hog Giggles. Surely, Ewing thought, Flint would be better off with a pig than a convicted murderer or drunk driver.
“I am pretty forgiving, but it I am really strongly opposed to murder—and think electing a mayor who was convicted of murder sends a bad message about our city,” Ewing wrote on Giggles’ Facebook page. “Flint deserves better candidates than this. While reading about these people it occurred to me that Giggles would be a more dignified candidate—and I’m right.”
Convicted murderer and city councilman Wantwaz Davis responded to the pig’s campaign, saying, “I honestly laughed at your remarks, however, I will be the next mayor of Flint, Michigan and will feast off of your pig at my victory party, you can get in for free, VIP on me.”
Well, that’s not disturbing at all.
H/T Ryot | Photo via Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor/Facebook
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.