- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
Giggles the pig is the most worthy write-in candidate in this crazy mayoral election
Giggles the pig is shaking things up in Michigan.
The mayoral race in Flint, Mich., sounds like something out of a David Lynch film.
The three candidates for mayor in Michael Moore’s hometown are a convicted murderer, a convicted drunk driver, and a pig named Giggles. Adding to the surreal tension, the murderer has threatened to kill and eat the pig.
Due to a bureaucratic screw-up, every candidate in Flint’s mayoral race this year is a write-in candidate. Gadfly defense attorney Michael Ewing took advantage of this fact by writing in his one-year-old hog Giggles. Surely, Ewing thought, Flint would be better off with a pig than a convicted murderer or drunk driver.
“I am pretty forgiving, but it I am really strongly opposed to murder—and think electing a mayor who was convicted of murder sends a bad message about our city,” Ewing wrote on Giggles’ Facebook page. “Flint deserves better candidates than this. While reading about these people it occurred to me that Giggles would be a more dignified candidate—and I’m right.”
Convicted murderer and city councilman Wantwaz Davis responded to the pig’s campaign, saying, “I honestly laughed at your remarks, however, I will be the next mayor of Flint, Michigan and will feast off of your pig at my victory party, you can get in for free, VIP on me.”
Well, that’s not disturbing at all.
H/T Ryot | Photo via Giggles the Pig for Flint Mayor/Facebook
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.