- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
Grimes is still tweeting and deleting stuff about boyfriend Elon Musk
Grimes defended this week the fact that Musk donates a substantial amount of money to the Republican party, even though it’s historically opposed to many of the entrepreneur’s core beliefs such as climate change. She’s also deleting some of these pointed tweets. Again.
A report released in early July revealed that Musk donated nearly seven times as much money to Republican-affiliated campaigns and committees than Democratic causes since early 2017. According to the Hill, federal election filings showed the SpaceX founder gave nearly $40,000 to Protect the House—a GOP PAC designed to help Republicans maintain their control over Congress. Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) oversees the PAC and has publicly played down climate change.
Musk defended his donations on Twitter, explaining that his politics don’t fall on one side of the aisle or the other. He’s more concerned about humanitarian issues than political issues—and that’s when Grimes stepped in.
Thanks Jack. To be clear, I am not a conservative. Am registered independent & politically moderate. Doesn’t mean I’m moderate about all issues. Humanitarian issues are extremely important to me & I don’t understand why they are not important to everyone.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 14, 2018
Grimes tweeted and deleted the explanation that these donations are just “the price of doing business” in America.
every aerospace company has to donate to republicans in order to function. in fact most major companies across the board do, in some capacity. it’s the price of doing business in america. e donates way more money, like absurdly more, to environmental causes
— Grimes (@Grimezsz) July 23, 2018
Grimes then addressed and removed comments on Tesla’s labor practices.
.@Grimezsz deleted this tweet from earlier today in which she says Elon tried to force a union vote at Tesla. (Tesla is currently facing several charges from the NLRB regarding alleged unfair labor practices). pic.twitter.com/Jfz0wtkRD1
— Caroline O'Donovan (@ceodonovan) July 26, 2018
After defending Musk against random people on Twitter, the songwriter blasted publications because they did not reach out to her for comment. It’s a fair criticism of blog-era journalism; however, these outlets are reporting verbatim quotes from Grimes that are standalone newsworthy.
Grimes’ record label, 4AD, did not immediately reply to a request for an interview.
Chris Illuminati is an author and reporter whose work for the Daily Dot focuses on meme culture. His work has been published in Rolling Stone, FanSided, BroBible, Penthouse, and AskMen.