- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty 2 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Avenue 5’ 2 Years Ago
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored 2 Years Ago
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers 2 Years Ago
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
- How to watch ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ season 10 Today 9:55 AM
The decidedly couple-y gesture came just hours after Page Six first reported the pair might be romantically involved. It seems the two met in a deeply 2018 way: The 46-year-old Tesla CEO was going to make a joke about AI on Twitter, and did a quick keyword search beforehand to make sure nobody had already made the same joke. It turns out somebody had—Grimes, three years ago. Musk apparently struck up a conversation with the 30-year-old “California” singer about their shared interest, and the rest is history.
“Grimes said this was the first time in three years that anyone understood the joke,” a source told Page Six. “They were both poking fun at AI.”
Despite that You’ve Got Mail meet-cute, fans on Twitter are convinced this coupling is further proof that we’re inhabiting a dark timeline. Jokes about the unlikely duo trended throughout the evening, and really picked up once they appeared on the red carpet together (with Grimes wearing a choker shaped like the Tesla logo).
"grimes dating elon musk" is the "kanye supporting trump" of rose twitter— Max Read (@max_read) May 7, 2018
elon musk and grimes is so damn cursed it’s like when my friend’s dad started dating her volleyball teammate right after he divorced her mom— vampire workday (@imbobswaget) May 8, 2018
should’ve been a livestream of grimes’ exes finding out— darcie wilder (@333333333433333) May 8, 2018
I would pay real money to listen to ONE conversation between Elon Musk and Grimes— Veronica de Souza (@HeyVeronica) May 8, 2018
where were you when you learned about elon musk and grimes— helen (@helen) May 7, 2018
If elon musk and grimes are actually dating i will immediately shave my head and go through my britney breakdown .— chloe (@contrachloe) May 7, 2018
Signs as indie girl and billionaire power couples:— German Bold Italic (@SkreechyBat) May 7, 2018
Gemini: Lana Del Rey and Warren Buffett
Cancer: Sky Ferreira and Jeff Bezos
Leo: Charli XCX and Bill Gates
Virgo: Alice Glass and Mark Zuckerberg
Libra: Marina Diamandis and Donald Trump Jr.
Pisces: Grimes and Elon Musk
yall know elon musk is only dating grimes because he been wanting to fuck an alien so bad— bloot (@ghoulsoprano) May 7, 2018
Grimes is reportedly the only woman Musk is following on Twitter at the moment. Ah, true, normal love.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.