- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
The decidedly couple-y gesture came just hours after Page Six first reported the pair might be romantically involved. It seems the two met in a deeply 2018 way: The 46-year-old Tesla CEO was going to make a joke about AI on Twitter, and did a quick keyword search beforehand to make sure nobody had already made the same joke. It turns out somebody had—Grimes, three years ago. Musk apparently struck up a conversation with the 30-year-old “California” singer about their shared interest, and the rest is history.
“Grimes said this was the first time in three years that anyone understood the joke,” a source told Page Six. “They were both poking fun at AI.”
Despite that You’ve Got Mail meet-cute, fans on Twitter are convinced this coupling is further proof that we’re inhabiting a dark timeline. Jokes about the unlikely duo trended throughout the evening, and really picked up once they appeared on the red carpet together (with Grimes wearing a choker shaped like the Tesla logo).
"grimes dating elon musk" is the "kanye supporting trump" of rose twitter— Max Read (@max_read) May 7, 2018
elon musk and grimes is so damn cursed it’s like when my friend’s dad started dating her volleyball teammate right after he divorced her mom— vampire workday (@imbobswaget) May 8, 2018
should’ve been a livestream of grimes’ exes finding out— darcie wilder (@333333333433333) May 8, 2018
I would pay real money to listen to ONE conversation between Elon Musk and Grimes— Veronica de Souza (@HeyVeronica) May 8, 2018
where were you when you learned about elon musk and grimes— helen (@helen) May 7, 2018
If elon musk and grimes are actually dating i will immediately shave my head and go through my britney breakdown .— chloe (@contrachloe) May 7, 2018
Signs as indie girl and billionaire power couples:— German Bold Italic (@SkreechyBat) May 7, 2018
Gemini: Lana Del Rey and Warren Buffett
Cancer: Sky Ferreira and Jeff Bezos
Leo: Charli XCX and Bill Gates
Virgo: Alice Glass and Mark Zuckerberg
Libra: Marina Diamandis and Donald Trump Jr.
Pisces: Grimes and Elon Musk
yall know elon musk is only dating grimes because he been wanting to fuck an alien so bad— bloot (@ghoulsoprano) May 7, 2018
Grimes is reportedly the only woman Musk is following on Twitter at the moment. Ah, true, normal love.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.