- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again 10 Months Ago
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand 10 Months Ago
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Today 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Today 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Today 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Today 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Today 10:52 AM
- YouTube just made it awfully easy to harass creators Today 10:16 AM
- Report: Trump the only 2020 contender who won’t rule out using stolen data Today 9:01 AM
- House Republicans offer bipartisan net neutrality bill—but there’s a catch Today 8:30 AM
- This Loki meme is the new way to play dumb Today 7:30 AM
- Mark Duplass and Ray Romano transcend the typical bromance in ‘Paddleton’ Today 7:00 AM
- 15 new thrillers on Netflix you need to see Today 7:00 AM
- Indie horror movie ‘The Hole in the Ground’ is legit terrifying Today 6:40 AM
- Every Apex Legends character, ranked Today 6:00 AM
The decidedly couple-y gesture came just hours after Page Six first reported the pair might be romantically involved. It seems the two met in a deeply 2018 way: The 46-year-old Tesla CEO was going to make a joke about AI on Twitter, and did a quick keyword search beforehand to make sure nobody had already made the same joke. It turns out somebody had—Grimes, three years ago. Musk apparently struck up a conversation with the 30-year-old “California” singer about their shared interest, and the rest is history.
“Grimes said this was the first time in three years that anyone understood the joke,” a source told Page Six. “They were both poking fun at AI.”
— maya kosoff (@mekosoff) May 7, 2018
Despite that You’ve Got Mail meet-cute, fans on Twitter are convinced this coupling is further proof that we’re inhabiting a dark timeline. Jokes about the unlikely duo trended throughout the evening, and really picked up once they appeared on the red carpet together (with Grimes wearing a choker shaped like the Tesla logo).
"grimes dating elon musk" is the "kanye supporting trump" of rose twitter
— Max Read (@max_read) May 7, 2018
elon musk and grimes is so damn cursed it’s like when my friend’s dad started dating her volleyball teammate right after he divorced her mom
— vampire workday (@imbobswaget) May 8, 2018
should’ve been a livestream of grimes’ exes finding out
— darcie wilder (@333333333433333) May 8, 2018
I would pay real money to listen to ONE conversation between Elon Musk and Grimes
— Veronica de Souza (@HeyVeronica) May 8, 2018
— Shira Tarlo (@shiratarlo) May 8, 2018
where were you when you learned about elon musk and grimes
— helen (@helen) May 7, 2018
If elon musk and grimes are actually dating i will immediately shave my head and go through my britney breakdown .
— chloe (@contrachloe) May 7, 2018
Signs as indie girl and billionaire power couples:
Gemini: Lana Del Rey and Warren Buffett
Cancer: Sky Ferreira and Jeff Bezos
Leo: Charli XCX and Bill Gates
Virgo: Alice Glass and Mark Zuckerberg
Libra: Marina Diamandis and Donald Trump Jr.
Pisces: Grimes and Elon Musk
— German Bold Italic (@SkreechyBat) May 7, 2018
yall know elon musk is only dating grimes because he been wanting to fuck an alien so bad
— bloot (@ghoulsoprano) May 7, 2018
Grimes is reportedly the only woman Musk is following on Twitter at the moment. Ah, true, normal love.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.